Strange AIM-7 launch screenshot

SubVision

4 minutes ago, SubVision said:

Missile behaves like it was launched from a rail. Strange that this screenshot was publicated.

image.png

image.png

at least with F/A-18 it fires from the rail. it does not drop, then fire engine.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I assume that the "start" of the Sparrow from the F-15E is specially programmed so as not to damage the visors from LITENING

In addition, different versions of rockets can also come into play.

Edited by Nahen

18 hours ago, silverdevil said:

at least with F/A-18 it fires from the rail. it does not drop, then fire engine.

It does drop if it is fired from the cheek station.

C97E18F3-1D22-4EA1-AF26-32E577ABB6B3.jpeg
Technically it uses either a Cartridge Actuated Device (CAD) or a Pneumatic Actuator to eject the missile, it doesn’t just “drop”.  I believe the F-15 uses the same ejector system as the F-18, but I could be mistaken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coole28 said:

It does drop if it is fired from the cheek station.

C97E18F3-1D22-4EA1-AF26-32E577ABB6B3.jpeg
Technically it uses either a Cartridge Actuated Device (CAD) or a Pneumatic Actuator to eject the missile, it doesn’t just “drop”.  I believe the F-15 uses the same ejector system as the F-18, but I could be mistaken.

I always hear stories of the Phantoms in Vietnam launching the missiles they would drop like rocks. 

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

53 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

I always hear stories of the Phantoms in Vietnam launching the missiles they would drop like rocks. 

Yep, F-4s use the older AERO-7A ejector racks to shoot the AIM-7s off the undercarriage prior to missile ignition.  They packed a bit more oomf compared to their more refined modern counterparts.

Strange screenshot. The Eagle can't rail launch Sparrows.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

This was probably a developmental WIP thing since you have to code it to make it drop and etc.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

AIM-7's are fired from LAU-106's only on the F-15.  All versions of the jet have the same 106's.  The missile is "pushed away"  then the rocket motor is fired.  Fun fact -- the stowed position of the !06's on a Strike CFT; the launchers are installed backwards to enable the carriage of bombs.  When needed, weapons has to drop and turn the 106's around and install the eagle claws.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good thing we know they're fully done with the Eagle and won't be adjusting anything in the future so we know what we've seen here and now is exactly what both the real and Razbam Eagle will do.  Forever.  And ever.

That pic of the real one must be wrong.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 2/6/2023 at 3:46 PM, silverdevil said:

I am currently reading Skybreak by Mike Guardia, a book about F-15Cs in the Gulf War.

There are also plenty of mentions to Sparrows dropping dead on release, but also plenty of good hits.

Despite their faults, pilots still preferred using Sparrows over Sidewinders due to the later having a deadly attraction for the heaty desert ground than Mig-29s and Mirages burners.

• Like 1