Mission 9 part 2

Spoiler

When playing DCS STEAM EDITION, I was able to bomb Grumble but only if I changed Term Angle to 45. I failed to bomb if original angle, 60° was left alone. Also had my wingman survive this time. Couldn’t complete the mission because I was shot down by one of the two intercepting fulcrums. Looks like I can finally put this mission to bed. 😆 

Edited by Hispanicgamer

Looks like your almost there. 👍

Spoiler

When intercepting the Migs don’t expect much help from your wing. He sometimes will but it is in the lap of the gods. From a target designation point of view the editor does not allow  you to designate a ground target and air target with the same AI aircraft. As your wing just did a runway bombing run he cannot be told to designate an air target as well. 
Get missiles of early so the AI go defensive concentrate on taking one out go defensive and hit the second with your 9xs using the HMD which will allow an almost 90 degree target. Use your SA page at large scale to keep track of the Migs. 

• Thanks 1

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

1 hour ago, Hispanicgamer said:

Sorry, quick question,

Hide contents

Is setting the Term Angle to 45° something that is supposed to be done in this mission?

Spoiler

No, shouldn’t be required. Don’t know how myself. 😄

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Spoiler

That weird because unless I’m doing something wrong setting Term Angle to 45° is the only way I can get the bombs to hit Grumble. I watched Flying Kenny’s video and he doesn’t mess with the angle. Maybe something to do with flying on Steam? 🤷‍♂️

On 6/2/2023 at 6:43 PM, Hispanicgamer said:
  Hide contents

That weird because unless I’m doing something wrong setting Term Angle to 45° is the only way I can get the bombs to hit Grumble. I watched Flying Kenny’s video and he doesn’t mess with the angle. Maybe something to do with flying on Steam? 🤷‍♂️

Hi Hispanicgamer, 

I flew it on Steam edition of DCS World, so there shouldn't be a problem. 

Best regards, 

Flying KENNY 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Badger633,

This is a really fun mission (hard too).

Spoiler

I'm not really sure how you are supposed to defeat the manpads without having a notion where they are. Even at Mach .91, flares, and evasive manouvers they really catch to you if you pass on their range. Is this doable?

I had two problems with this mission after I managed to get a hold where the manpads were to avoid them. First, one of the JDAM's doesn't seem to have hitted the intended target, and so I had to risk going back to the SA-10 site and shooting with guns to make the mission triggers advance. [which I managed to do]

Then, bombing the air base, I managed to successfully deploy my weapon on target, but the wingman did not fire at the runway (I believe), so the mission triggers did not advance and I was left with no change but to quit.

Please see the tacview file attached.

Thank you for your help

Tacview-20230622-200604-DCS-ROPL2 M9 PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip

8 hours ago, MacaoP20 said:

Hi @Badger633,

Hide contents

I'm not really sure how you are supposed to defeat the manpads without having a notion where they are. Even at Mach .91, flares, and evasive manouvers they really catch to you if you pass on their range. Is this doable?

I had two problems with this mission after I managed to get a hold where the manpads were to avoid them. First, one of the JDAM's doesn't seem to have hitted the intended target, and so I had to risk going back to the SA-10 site and shooting with guns to make the mission triggers advance. [which I managed to do]

Then, bombing the air base, I managed to successfully deploy my weapon on target, but the wingman did not fire at the runway (I believe), so the mission triggers did not advance and I was left with no change but to quit.

Thank you for your help

Tacview-20230622-200604-DCS-ROPL2 M9 PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip 5.41 MB · 0 downloads

Hi @MacaoP20

Spoiler

Thanks for the Tacview. You can avoid the man pads if you follow the track exactly nad keep low and fast. That is except for the one that is to your left just before the track takes a hard turn to the right. You can  avoid this one by flying a bit to the right of track for staying on track but when he fires the SAM climb to draw the missile up then quickly fire off flares then drop to the ground quickly. The missile shouldn't then have enough energy to correct for your low position.  

The problem where the mission really broke was when your second bomb did not hit its target. You should double check your coordinates for this second bomb.  You should not have to a gun run on the SAM target.  This is probably why the mission did not work out. 

I will double check that this is the problem and fly through the mission myself and update you. In the meantime this is a link to Flying Kennys fly through of this mission. 

Hope this helps.  Are you in standard or open beta versions?  Also are you running any mods? Any mods can have strange effects on missions.

Edited by Badger633

On 6/22/2023 at 9:18 PM, MacaoP20 said:

Hi @Badger633,

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for your help

Tacview-20230622-200604-DCS-ROPL2 M9 PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip 5.41 MB · 1 download

Hi @MacaoP20

As promised have just flown the mission, current open beta.

Spoiler

All went well and hit both targets so do not understand why your one bomb missed. Perhaps the way you have released, make sure your well over mountian and give slight delay between releasing each bomb.  I attach Tacview of part flight. 

Hope this helps.Tacview-Mission 9 part 2 open beta 26June23-DCS.zip.acmi

Edited by Badger633

Hey, also having issue hitting S10 in this mission tried multiple times and always only one bomb hits on target, double checked the coordinates waited a few seconds once the in range comes up and waited between drops. I ended up finishing the S10 on my way to the airfield waypoint 12 with guns, bombed the airfield, but wingman didn't bomb the runway assuming as i hit the s10 with guns?? after bombing got the auto dialogue headed to way point 13 @ 30,000 other group took out migs and i ended up at waypoint 14 got some more dialogue with wingman and then headed to waypoint zero realised nothing was happening so i quit. Here is the tacview if that helps. Also, on open beta no mods and latest update waited to post until i had tried in new update. 

Tacview-20230629-194816-DCS-ROPL2 M9 EZ PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi 

Edited by danos_2503

7 hours ago, danos_2503 said:

Hey, also having issue hitting S10 in this mission tried multiple times and always only one bomb hits on target, double checked the coordinates waited a few seconds once the in range comes up and waited between drops. I ended up finishing the S10 on my way to the airfield waypoint 12 with guns, bombed the airfield, but wingman didn't bomb the runway assuming as i hit the s10 with guns?? after bombing got the auto dialogue headed to way point 13 @ 30,000 other group took out migs and i ended up at waypoint 14 got some more dialogue with wingman and then headed to waypoint zero realised nothing was happening so i quit. Here is the tacview if that helps. Also, on open beta no mods and latest update waited to post until i had tried in new update. 

Tacview-20230629-194816-DCS-ROPL2 M9 EZ PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi 3.48 MB · 1 download  

Hi

Thanks for that. The right hand bomb is a bit North of target and the left hand bomb is a bit west of the target. Are you absolutely sure the entered coords match those given? 

EDIT: Don't know why your bombs are missing. If you do not take out the SA10 with the bombs things will not unfold correctly. I have just edited the mission. I have given a larger distance tolerance for bombs that may miss the target  for what ever reason.   Also it should now not be possible to hit the SA10 with guns as it will remain active.

This will be out in next update so hopefully will resolve your issue.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Edited by Badger633

Hi Badger,

100% entered correctly just tried again using Multithread DCS version same issue, second time i tried to adjust the angle to 55 and velocity to 800ft/sec in tacview the second one said i destroyed the SA10 and in game on the right it came up grumble destroyed ( no auto dialogue) so i continued on i bombed the airfield, but noticed my wingman didn't bomb the airstrip so i quit the mission.  in tacview  bombs said destroyed SA10? When you said you have given a larger tolerance for bombs is this for a future update? As i am currently on the latest one.

Tacview-20230702-194254-DCS-ROPL2 M9 EZ PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmiTacview-20230702-190337-DCS-ROPL2 M9 EZ PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi 

Edited by danos_2503

Hello,

I have the same problem with GBU-38 not hitting the target.

I'm not using MT and tried several times with or without mods.

The track attached is without mods and term angle set to 45 deg and only one of the bomb hits its target.

The other times I tried also with term angle set to 60 deg without more success.

I believe the coordinates are set properly but the bombs fall short of the objective weither I drop them nose up or nose down.

Can anyone help spotting if I do something wrong?

I previously drop GBU-38 without issues on other missions but I may be repeating a mistake there and be lucky in the past.

Is it my mistake or a bug?

Thanks.

Edit : Eventually passed. I cannot say exactly what fixed it for me but here is what I did:

_ Full repair of DCS (all files + extra files)

_ Approached the launch point at higher speed (approx. 580kt)

Both GBU hit there targets and I could eventually finish the mission successfully.

ROPL2 - M9.trk

Edited by Budbud

5 hours ago, Budbud said:

Hello,

The track attached is without mods and term angle set to 45 deg and only one of the bomb hits its target.

The other times I tried also with term angle set to 60 deg without more success.

I believe the coordinates are set properly but the bombs fall short of the objective weither I drop them nose up or nose down.

I previously drop GBU-38 without issues on other missions but I may be repeating a mistake there and be lucky in the past.

Thanks.

Edit : Eventually passed. I cannot say exactly what fixed it for me but here is what I did:

Both GBU hit there targets and I could eventually finish the mission successfully.

ROPL2 - M9.trk 15.92 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Bubud

Glad you got there in the end. It is a strange one, I check flew it myself a recently and all went well, you can see my track in a response above. I will have a look at your track and see if I can spot anything. Will let you know if I do.

Hope your enjoying the campaign. 🙂👍

15 hours ago, Budbud said:

Hello,

Thanks.

ROPL2 - M9.trk 15.92 MB · 1 download

Now had a chance to look at your track. Your problem in your track is in the coord entry. When you entered the first target ( using station 2) the coords were correct but for some reason the PP1 box remained crossed , it should go clear when you have entered your coords correctly. You then entered the coords for target 2 ( using station 😎 but did not select the PP2 box before starting so you were overwriting the PP1 again with the coords for target 2. Finally the Easting for target 2 was incorrect starting with 54 not the 64 you entered.

Hope this helps. 

Oh wow! So when I am entering coordinates for my first GBU I am using PP1 and on the second GBU I select PP2? Maybe this was mt problem!

I went back and watched Flying Kenny's vid and he did not select PP2. Remains strange issue. I unfortunately had to select Immortal in order to finish this mission. It was super challenging but I could never finish it.

Edited by Hispanicgamer

10 hours ago, Hispanicgamer said:

Oh wow! So when I am entering coordinates for my first GBU I am using PP1 and on the second GBU I select PP2? Maybe this was mt problem!

I went back and watched Flying Kenny's vid and he did not select PP2. Remains strange issue. I unfortunately had to select Immortal in order to finish this mission. It was super challenging but I could never finish it.

Yes, PP1 is pre planned target location 1. In the beginning all preplanned boxes are crossed ie they have no coordinates entered. You select the first one and the station it relates to. Enter the coords and that PP1 will have its cross removed to confirm all coords good. You then select the crossed box PP2 and also step to the relevant bomb. Then enter second coords. When done PP2 box will also go clear. You have now set coords for two targets which relate to the selected bomb stations. 
As I said in the your track the second set of coords had an error in the first number.

Hope this helps.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:20 PM, danos_2503 said:

Hi Badger,

100% entered correctly just tried again using Multithread DCS version same issue, second time i tried to adjust the angle to 55 and velocity to 800ft/sec in tacview the second one said i destroyed the SA10 and in game on the right it came up grumble destroyed ( no auto dialogue) so i continued on i bombed the airfield, but noticed my wingman didn't bomb the airstrip so i quit the mission.  in tacview  bombs said destroyed SA10? When you said you have given a larger tolerance for bombs is this for a future update? As i am currently on the latest one.

Tacview-20230702-194254-DCS-ROPL2 M9 EZ PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi 1.54 MB · 0 downloads Tacview-20230702-190337-DCS-ROPL2 M9 EZ PART 2 RUMBLE WITH A GRUMBLE.zip.acmi 1.22 MB · 0 downloads  

@Badger633 not sure if your saw my post. Also, i have been entering the targets in PP1 and PP2

1 hour ago, danos_2503 said:

@Badger633 not sure if your saw my post. Also, i have been entering the targets in PP1 and PP2

Hi, do not understand, if there is a bug you would think it would be constant but your bombs are hitting in different places each time you try the mission?  Can you send me a track of the mission up until  the point where the bombs have failed to hit both targets?  I can then check what your doing.

If you do not get the message that they are destroyed and to head to the next way point things won't work out correctly.

You shouldn't need to adjust angles just keep on the default. You can see from my Tacview posted above June 26th  i flew it no problems with direct hits. Make sure you have no mods running. 

Passing the increased tolerance version to ED today will be in next update. 

Hope this helps, look forward to your track. 

Edited by Badger633

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Badger,

I also had the bombing issue, if I wanted to drop right after coming IN ZONE, in a shallow climb. Both bombs fell way short. Then I made a 620 KTS initial run before climbing out from behind the hills, and pulled up to I guess 40 degrees nose up, and kept going for another 5-6 seconds. Then both hit the proper target.

But on the coord entry: I had no problem entering both coordinates into PP1 of each station, you just need to STEP before entering the second coordinates. No need to press PP2. With QTY boxing both stations, quantity will show 2, and holding pickle, both bombs come off almost simultaneously.

BTW, part 2 has I guess a wrong voiceover, being over WP3 it is saying "Waypoint 3 ahead, begin decend" or something, when the next waypoint feet wet is #4 already.

11 hours ago, Razor18 said:

Hi Badger,

I also had the bombing issue, if I wanted to drop right after coming IN ZONE, in a shallow climb. Both bombs fell way short. Then I made a 620 KTS initial run before climbing out from behind the hills, and pulled up to I guess 40 degrees nose up, and kept going for another 5-6 seconds. Then both hit the proper target.

But on the coord entry: I had no problem entering both coordinates into PP1 of each station, you just need to STEP before entering the second coordinates. No need to press PP2. With QTY boxing both stations, quantity will show 2, and holding pickle, both bombs come off almost simultaneously.

BTW, part 2 has I guess a wrong voiceover, being over WP3 it is saying "Waypoint 3 ahead, begin decend" or something, when the next waypoint feet wet is #4 already.

Hi Razor

Never had to raise the nose but I am going full throttle on my approach to the mountain and emerging over the top careful to ensure correct clearance before I release. To be honest if the computer says you are in a position to release, you should be able to in your current vector state, as it is this information it uses to make the calculation.

You’re absolutely correct you don’t need to change to PP2 as PP1 can store up up to five target for each station. My mistake learnt something there. 😄

Thanks for picking up the voice over issue will check it out and fix as necessary. 👍

EDIT: Checked out the voice issue. It is in fact correct. When they say Way Point 3 ahead they mean directly ahead. They then say descend low level 500ft feet dry. Way point 4 is in fact the point of feet dry. The confusion, which you rightly point out, is because the call is made almost on top of Way Point 3.  I have now revised that so that call is now given at a point when there is  nearly  3 miles to go to get to Way Point 3. This should now make more sense. Will be in next update. Thanks for pointing out much appreciated.  👍

Edited by Badger633