Windows 11 Upgrade - Which path did you choose / problems?

Hello!

As title suggests, I'm curious as to Windows 11. Some of my other software is now compliant with Windows 11 and I'll likely choose the upgrade path. I've no problems with my Windows or system as a whole.

Curious as to others experience and path taken. I use VR via a G2 and a 4080 if that makes any difference?

1 minute ago, Splashtrick68 said:

As title suggests, I'm curious as to Windows 11 … I've no problems with my Windows or system as a whole.

If your current Windows has no problems, then I would suggest keeping with your current Windows … after all Windows 11 has no practical advantage over Windows 10, unless you are dying to use Android Apps on your PC 🙃

Some of my other software is now compliant with Windows 11

I can assure you, after you Upgrade, you will discover some other software that isnt compliant. It happened to me.

Curious as to others experience and path taken. 

I tried Windows 11 for a few months, using the install from scratch path. Didn’t find anything worthwhile on Windows 11, and certainly none that compensated the difficulties I had with some of my older software. After a while, I chose to return to Windows 10, and don’t regret going back … not always newer equals better.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

38 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

If your current Windows has no problems, then I would suggest keeping with your current Windows … after all Windows 11 has no practical advantage over Windows 10, unless you are dying to use Android Apps on your PC 🙃

I can assure you, after you Upgrade, you will discover some other software that isnt compliant. It happened to me.

I tried Windows 11 for a few months, using the install from scratch path. Didn’t find anything worthwhile on Windows 11, and certainly none that compensated the difficulties I had with some of my older software. After a while, I chose to return to Windows 10, and don’t regret going back … not always newer equals better.

Thank you! This is definitely worth considering.. I thought at this point there must be improvements to Windows 11 vs Windows 10, if that's not the case.. I'm with you, I'll leave alone. Thank you again.

1 hour ago, Splashtrick68 said:

I thought at this point there must be improvements to Windows 11 vs Windows 10

maybe it has improved on its spyware capabilities?  

🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

after all Windows 11 has no practical advantage over Windows 10

That's not true and it depends on whether or not OP is running an Intel CPU that is >=12th gen.

OP, if you're planning on upgrading to Windows 11 then I'd only suggest doing so if you're running a 12th or 13th gen Intel CPU. I'd also suggest doing a full install rather than an upgrade as it's generally a smoother process and less prone to bugs or errors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinM9991 said:

That's not true and it depends on whether or not OP is running an Intel CPU that is >=12th gen.

Sorry, but the allegations of better performance under win 11 for modern intel cpus are grossly exagerated ... in fact, the performance differences are minimal, check yourself:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2358-intel-alder-lake-windows-11-benchmark/

... and that is not the only review, there are plenty that show performance differences being marginal (between Win 11 and 10), for example:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/windows-11-vs-10-on-intel-12gen/

https://www.gadgetbytenepal.com/intel-12th-gen-windows-10-11/

https://babeltechreviews.com/windows-11-vs-windows-10-performance-analysis/

🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Sorry, but the allegations of better performance under win 11 for modern intel cpus are grossly exagerated ... in fact, the performance differences are minimal, check yourself:

They're minimal, sure, and W11 does also degrade the UX compared to W10 (worth mentioning this). However, with Intel's thread director there should be better utilization of P and E cores compared to W10.

That said, if OP has an AMD then I'd tend to agree with your view on sticking with W10. Microsoft seem to have picked Intel as a first-class passenger for W11 while leaving AMD behind. Money talks, in that regard.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

It's great to hear that you're considering the upgrade to Windows 11, especially since your other software is compatible. It's always exciting to explore new features and improvements.
As for your VR setup with the G2 and a 4080, Windows 11 should offer a solid platform for your VR experiences. Just make sure to check for any specific driver or compatibility updates for your VR gear after the upgrade.
By the way, if you're looking for a cost-effective way to get Windows 11 Pro or just exploring options, you can check out windows 11 cheap. It's nice to have choices when it comes to your operating system.

Edited by Junkyness

Yet, two years after its introduction, Windows 11 is used by less than 1 out of every 4 users, in spite of it being pre-installed on every PC sold over that period.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide/

in contrast, over 90% of all Mac users are on two year-old versions of its OS (Catalina & Big Sur)

Is it just me, or do we have an inflation of new members that do their first (and often only) post on completely random topics without any introduction, sometimes even openting threads or doing surveys.

Don't get me wrong. Any (real) new member is welcome and an Introduction is nice, not mandatory. But the accumulation lately strikes me as suspicious.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"