Mission 8, Run 2

During Run 2 of mission 8, I noticed that the F16 the player is supposed to shoot down seems to be invulnerable to any missiles, even after the merge (I've managed to hit him several times after the merge with Fox 2, but to no avail).  Am I missing anything here or has that been set up this way on purpose?

12 hours ago, Reflected said:

It’s set to immortal. Kills will be called after the merge. Provided you’re shooting the one assigned to you. 

can you maybe post a short video?

Well, I was talking about killing the bandit AFTER the scripted player made the announcement "Two engaged". Does that count as a "successful" merge?

I think I was shooting the one assigned to me. Actually, after the second one of the trail section was declared dead by Lead, I could only see one left. And that one was the one assigned by my RIO earlier in the intercept (the bandit was still marked on the HUD by the diamond, e.g. I didn't switch any target). 

Btw, when hitting the bandit (with either Fox 1 or Fox 2) after that "Two engaged" message, Jester (not Chick!) calls out "Splash", but the fight goes on nevertheless. 😲

I don't know how to post a short video. Anyway, I tried another few times...same result. I can't kill that bandit, even if I hit him. But if he's then shooting off a missile at me (which he did on a few occasions), that works just fine. Or is it possible that only the gun is working in this mission for the player? (I also tried to gun him down for a while but couldn't do so successfully)

I have to say I'm done with this mission. It's simply not working for me. 😫

I believe you have to make sure you've passed the bandit's 3-9 line, regardless of any message (I also misinterpreted that message at first, coupled with lousy visuals in VR, which makes it very hard to judge another aircraft's orientation beyond 1 in-game mile). Best to take a rear-quarter shot to be certain (or nuke it from orbit).

At least that's how it worked for me. 

I think one of the points of mission 8 is to force you into a WVR engagement after the BVR timeline, so head-on shots and high aspect shots deliberately don't "count" as kills. Only after you have truly merged like in the previous 1v1 sets (= passed the bandit) invincibility will be turned off. 

This is very similar to some Zone 5 engagements.

BTW, don't give up on mission 8, you'll definitely need what you learn there for the campaign part later on.

Also, you don't want to miss the RTB part.

Edited by Jayhawk1971

1 hour ago, Gretsch_Man said:

Well, I was talking about killing the bandit AFTER the scripted player made the announcement "Two engaged". Does that count as a "successful" merge?

I think I was shooting the one assigned to me. Actually, after the second one of the trail section was declared dead by Lead, I could only see one left. And that one was the one assigned by my RIO earlier in the intercept (the bandit was still marked on the HUD by the diamond, e.g. I didn't switch any target). 

Btw, when hitting the bandit (with either Fox 1 or Fox 2) after that "Two engaged" message, Jester (not Chick!) calls out "Splash", but the fight goes on nevertheless. 😲

I don't know how to post a short video. Anyway, I tried another few times...same result. I can't kill that bandit, even if I hit him. But if he's then shooting off a missile at me (which he did on a few occasions), that works just fine. Or is it possible that only the gun is working in this mission for the player? (I also tried to gun him down for a while but couldn't do so successfully)

I have to say I'm done with this mission. It's simply not working for me. 😫

After ‘two’s engaged’ every hit on the bandit should count. Guns or missiles. Since it works for me and everyone else it must be some sort of dcs glitch. 

try to run a repair and make sure you don’t have any mods installed

As the documentation says, Jester is unmuted during dogfights to help you with speed and position callouts which are impossible to script with voice overs

Edited by Reflected

19 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

I believe you have to make sure you've passed the bandit's 3-9 line, regardless of any message

I was thinking the same, so I made sure I passed that 3-9 line first. But that didn't work either. Funny thing is Run 1 worked fine for me.

vor 26 Minuten schrieb Gretsch_Man:

I was thinking the same, so I made sure I passed that 3-9 line first. But that didn't work either. Funny thing is Run 1 worked fine for me.

Do you use VAICOM Pro? Since I had the same issue with Slick calling engaged and hits not registering straight away in a previous mission, maybe there's some connection? I have zero knowledge about any coding stuff, but maybe Vaicom could cause a delay of some sorts? Technically, it's also a "mod". 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Do you use VAICOM Pro?

No, I only use VoiceAttack.

4 hours ago, Reflected said:

Also, out of curiosity, did Slick's Fox calls work fine when you launched?

Slick? Do you mean Chig? Well, it’s actually the player who make these calls. And yes, the player is calling out all missile launches during my engagements.

I also ran a repair and some files were reinstalled. No mods installed.

I've now managed to get a confirmed kill once after a prolonged fight firing a Fox 1. No idea what made the difference, e.g. why the kill was suddenly registered. Needless to say, all I got was an “Unsatisfactory”. 😢

Tried to repeat my “success”, but again no joy. Making sure the player announces “Two’s engaged” first (and with the bandit already turning into me), I managed to hit the bandit 4 (!!) times ( Fox1 x 1, Fox2 x 2, Fox3 x 1) during one such engagement. And guess what – yep, that bandit just kept flying like he couldn’t care less.

Oh, and during two other fights, the bandit just crashed, but the fight didn’t stop. What’s more, Jester continued calling out the bandits clock position, which I thought was rather hilarious.

Well, as far as I’m concerned, I've finished off that F16 sucker, period!!

The only bummer been my grade.

23 hours ago, Reflected said:

Just ran the mission again, works as advertised:

Thanks for the video. In some of my fights, I'm pretty sure more than 28 seconds elapsed between the "2s engaged" call and me shooting down the bandit. Weird...

I'll give it another shot once I got the time.

• Like 1

Run 2 is absolutely driving me crazy. 

"You took too long to fire a Fox 3" - I am firing my Fox 3 a few seconds right after Paco calls it.

"You took too long to turn back in and fire a Fox 1" - I am turning the second I notch and hear it go cold, I see the target and cannot get a PAL lock on it until I am within 10NM regardless of what I do

Also, every T-turn my RIO drops lock in the back which is incredibly frustrating. I am thinking I may just skip this mission. And I am maintaining combat spread with Paco the entire time.

3 hours ago, vladd148 said:

Run 2 is absolutely driving me crazy. 

"You took too long to fire a Fox 3" - I am firing my Fox 3 a few seconds right after Paco calls it.

"You took too long to turn back in and fire a Fox 1" - I am turning the second I notch and hear it go cold, I see the target and cannot get a PAL lock on it until I am within 10NM regardless of what I do

Also, every T-turn my RIO drops lock in the back which is incredibly frustrating. I am thinking I may just skip this mission. And I am maintaining combat spread with Paco the entire time.

Well, during testing I never got those debrief points, so it is possible to launch quick enough.

You have the stick, and if you put the target outside of the gimbals of the radar, Chig will drop lock. Paco doesn't see your TID, and focuses on his target, so it's a bit of juggling to maintain lock. If Chig drops lock, he'll lock again once the targets are on the screen. But that takes precious time.

• 7 months later...

I'm afraid there's something messed up with the timings in this run. It was friving me crazy but I got an avarage on the third attempt.

I got the : You took too long to fire the fox 3 even if I fired in the moment paco did (and slick called fox 3)

But the main problem is the bandit "activation time" is wrong. First two times I tought I locked the wrong one because my rear quarter shots where not counting (but then I checked and this is the only bandit remaining); in the third run I stayed with him until he became aggressive and we traded fox ones and even after he shot me, my hit wasn't counted as kill like he stall was inactive, in the end I got him with a loop and a fox 2.

25 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

I'm afraid there's something messed up with the timings in this run. It was friving me crazy but I got an avarage on the third attempt.

I got the : You took too long to fire the fox 3 even if I fired in the moment paco did (and slick called fox 3)

But the main problem is the bandit "activation time" is wrong. First two times I tought I locked the wrong one because my rear quarter shots where not counting (but then I checked and this is the only bandit remaining); in the third run I stayed with him until he became aggressive and we traded fox ones and even after he shot me, my hit wasn't counted as kill like he stall was inactive, in the end I got him with a loop and a fox 2.

Sorry, nothing is messed up with timings if you follow the instructions. If you post a video of how you fly the run I can have a look and figure out what you're doing wrong.

As for the Fox 3, I've never seen that before. Make sure you delete all your unofficial mods, and  run a repair, and if it persists, try in the single thread version, MT has weird bugs sometimes.

24 minutes ago, Reflected said:

Sorry, nothing is messed up with timings if you follow the instructions. If you post a video of how you fly the run I can have a look and figure out what you're doing wrong.

As for the Fox 3, I've never seen that before. Make sure you delete all your unofficial mods, and  run a repair, and if it persists, try in the single thread version, MT has weird bugs sometimes.

No, I have no mods, I will try to fly it again in the non MT version to see if I have no problems there.

Thanks

Edited by algherghezghez

• 3 months later...

I have the similar issue, tried 4 times, hit bandit right away with missile every time but seems that trigger was not working. No mods and viacom

I will also try non MT version (flying in VR but i hope its not that)

AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz, 16gb DDR3, MSI R9 390, MS FF2 & CH Throttle PRO, track IR 4 & Lenovo Explorer VMR