7950X3D testing

Panthera_Tigris

Got my 7950X3D yesterday and was testing it out pairing it with a 4090. Essentially, what I am trying to figure out is if the game benefits from the extra v-cahce on CCD0. MSFS and other sims benefit massively from v-cahce. 

Sadly, I am not seeing any difference when running the game on CCD0 or CCD1. Same CPU frame time and same overall FPS. Anyone else with this chip can confirm?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

It sounds like the MT option will be enabled this next OB update. I’m looking forward to seeing if this changes with the 7950X3D. It’s on my radar as my next CPU as well. 

• Like 1

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

33 minutes ago, Panthera_Tigris said:

Got my 7950X3D yesterday and was testing it out pairing it with a 4090. Essentially, what I am trying to figure out is if the game benefits from the extra v-cahce on CCD0. MSFS and other sims benefit massively from v-cahce. 

Sadly, I am not seeing any difference when running the game on CCD0 or CCD1. Same CPU frame time and same overall FPS. Anyone else with this chip can confirm?

I have the same CPU. I initially just saw that I still wasn't going to get 90 fps with high settings so I went back to motion reprojection with settings maxed and MSAA x2 to hold a solid 45 fps. I never even bothered playing without the v-cache cores active since I couldn't imagine the game getting better performance in that regard. 

I am super excited about today's update with the multithreading though; so I will try and do some actual testing around that. 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

I am getting 60-65 fps on max settings (except 2x MSAA) and 150% in OpenXR. I can probably touch 90 if I reduce the OpenXR resolution and some other unnecessary stuff. This is on a Reverb G2. 

Anyway, downloading the MT patch now although it doesn't seem like I am CPU bottlenecked anymore. 

Edit:  I gained maybe 1-4 fps with the MT patch. Which means I am def GPU bottlenecked now. 

Edited by Panthera_Tigris
  • Like 2

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

2 hours ago, Panthera_Tigris said:

I am getting 60-65 fps on max settings (except 2x MSAA) and 150% in OpenXR. I can probably touch 90 if I reduce the OpenXR resolution and some other unnecessary stuff. This is on a Reverb G2. 

Anyway, downloading the MT patch now although it doesn't seem like I am CPU bottlenecked anymore. 

Edit:  I gained maybe 1-4 fps with the MT patch. Which means I am def GPU bottlenecked now. 

Do you have SMT disabled? I just disabled it and it seems to break the core parking in gaming 🤔

Edit: Actually, that only seems to happen in Warzone for some reason (all 16 cores get utilized instead of just 1-8). I tried two other games and they are parking 8-16 as required. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330

Just an observation as been testing the new MT patch against the normal version and noticed that core parking IS NOT working with DCS at all.

Anyone able to verify this? I'm seeing all 16 cores used, in an ideal world should only see CCD0 and have game bar running.

39 minutes ago, rexehuk said:

Just an observation as been testing the new MT patch against the normal version and noticed that core parking IS NOT working with DCS at all.

Anyone able to verify this? I'm seeing all 16 cores used, in an ideal world should only see CCD0 and have game bar running.

I confirmed that core parking is working with the new MT patch. I did have to open game bar and manually check "remember this is a game" for the new launcher. 

Can one of you guys please explain core parking.  Is this related to some of the newer CPUs having some cores rated as E and some as P?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 minute ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Can one of you guys please explain core parking.  Is this related to some of the newer CPUs having some cores rated as E and some as P?

This is a fantastic video on it:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I confirmed that core parking is working with the new MT patch. I did have to open game bar and manually check "remember this is a game" for the new launcher. 

I saw that setting but didn't know what it does... remember this is a game... implies you need it open??

17 minutes ago, rexehuk said:

I saw that setting but didn't know what it does... remember this is a game... implies you need it open??

Basically if it is an application/game that you want to only use the v-cache cores, you check the box that says remember this is a game and then restart the game/app. On the next start, the correct cores should be getting used by your CPU. You can confirm that via Windows resource monitor or (my preference) MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner for the on screen display. 

On my post here you can see the on screen display indicating that the v-cache cores are being used for DCS and the other cores are parked. 

Based on some of the settings in this thread, I think you guys are not seeing uplift because you're in GPU bound situations. To ensure that you're checking CPU performance, you need to make sure that it is a CPU bound situation. A foolproof way to do that is set VR pixel density to 0.5. But if you're in 2D, then GPU-related settings need to be turned way down and load into a very CPU intensive map.

• Like 1

I did some tests people might find useful. To be clear this is not at VR, this is DCS at all HIGH at 3440x1440.

NO MT = No Multi Thread
GB Active = Game Bar set to "Remember Game" (and rebooted)
GB OFF = Game Bar set to not game

image.png

image.png

null

image.png

Edited by rexehuk

9 minutes ago, rexehuk said:

I did some tests people might find useful

NO MT = No Multi Thread
GB Active = Game Bar set to "Remember Game" (and rebooted)
GB OFF = Game Bar set to not game

image.png

image.png

Thanks it's always helpful but I think frame times are more helpful to help understand any GPU bound scenarios.