Won't load in VR MT with Pimax

Lostaviator

um you need to run in OPEN XR, not steam VR. 

or tell your steam VR to run it in open XR. its in the Steam VR setting area.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Can not start on my pimax MT version in vr, tried same way as normal beta, with forcing vr and openxr.

I tried safe settings in openxt toolkit (for a moment when starting game I can activate openxr and see defoult settings), but everything hungs at some percentage of loading (6%, or 27%, or once even 47%).

Non MT version still works. Would like to find solution for MT version... 

Running mine in MT with SteamVR just fine.  My buddy was having similar issues where DCS just wouldn't start at all.  I'll ask him to jump over here and offer some suggestions.  

This upgrade to MT was smooth for me and I don't know what I did to appease the DCS gods this time around.  My system specs are in signature.

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

18 hours ago, Lostaviator said:

Hangs on load screen when loading using the MT exe.  Seems like it cancels SteamVR if it's running and won't start steam vr if it's not.

18 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

um you need to run in OPEN XR, not steam VR. 

18 hours ago, Lostaviator said:

Don't see it in Steam vr setting.  So just use Pimax XR I guess?

11 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

Can not start on my pimax MT version in vr, tried same way as normal beta, with forcing vr and openxr.

11 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

8 hours ago, Mistermann said:

My buddy was having similar issues where DCS just wouldn't start at all.

Alright ladies and gents, I believe I have found a work around or the primary issue here. I Encountered ALL of the problems above.  I have a PIMAX 8K running from PiTool obviously and running PIMAXXR (OpenXR). 

Before when running open beta I would run the PiTool, then PIMAXXR and then run DCS Open Beta as administrator.  PIMAXXR was set to run as OpenXR.  DCS would start and Steam VR would automatically crank up and we were good to go.  I never manually typed any code to force DCS to run PIMAXXR or OpenXR.  The same still applies if running Open Beta and NOT MT.

Now, if you want to get MT and PIMAX running I saw something on the MT FAQs page that worked for me.  Originally when I downloaded the patch, I tried the above method like I always have and encountered all the issues you all stated.  On the FAQ page I noticed BigNewy had stated if you were having VR issues, run MT in desktop mode.  Go to the VR settings and disable VR.  The game will restart.  Then enable VR mode again and the game will restart one more time.  I did this with a few more steps and it worked.  After disabling and enabling VR from the settings, I shut the game down, and turned PIMAXXR on and put it from OpenXR to Steam VR.  Then I restarted my computer.  Once I restarted my computer, I cranked up PiTool then right click on DCS MT and run as administrator.  It cranked right up and I was in business.  DO NOT RUN PIMAXXR.  You will have to repeat the process above again if you do.

I believe it is logical to say multi threading is meant to replace OpenXR.  With DCS taking advantage of multicore use, I am seeing better performance out of MT than I did PIMAXXR.  That is not to say there are not bugs.  I am still seeing only 40 to 50 FPS in the HMD.  My friends have stated the same.  However! It runs SO much smoother and we are all running everything at the highest settings just about.  I have had a couple of crashes to the desk top which is normal for these patches so I am not worried there.  I have run it on the South Atlantic map and no stutters, and that is with all the shadows on at sun rise.  A lot to be said there.  

The outcome of this is, PIMAX VR and STEAM VR absolutely work in DCS MT.  I firmly believe open XR is the problem and the rest will be ironed out with upcoming patches to MT.  I am running it on Window 10.  Please let me know if I can provide anymore input.  I will reply to this post with a video later flying in PIMAX VR with MT running.  Best of luck gents and do not give up or get to frustrated, it is highly worth it.  I spent several hours yesterday contemplating punching a baby when the update gave me the finger after install.  

Edited by Devil 505
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lostaviator said:

So if I understand you correctly you are running DCS MT in steam VR not Open XR?  Is the 40 to 50 FPS better than pre MT?   Thanks for taking the time to post.

Yes.  Running DCS MT in Steam VR, no PIMAXXR (Open XR).  The 40 to 50 FPS is running 100 times smoother than Open XR.  Just spent 3 hours on a WW2 server with at least 32 people in game.  Dog fights and ground attacks going on.  Never once had an issue and ran very smoothly.  Flew the Spit, Mustang, and P-47. 

Only thing I had running outside of DCS was ReShade, Skype to talk to my buddy, and OBS recording the sim. 

Seems that PimaxXR is broken.  I have tried 0.3.0 and 0.3.2 and both have the same issue:  HMD tracking is screwed up in Menus.

Once in the cockpit, all is good and performance is great.  But, when in the menu, it wobbles like crazy.  I will leave a post also in the native openXR thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing Open XR is not good with the Pimax definitely smoother and better frames with Steam VR.  However, I'm getting the same performance using the old DCS execute as I am with the MT execute so not sure it's using the Multi Threading. 

Not sure if this will help anyone, but here’s what I’m getting.

I9900KS 5G

64G Corsair 3800 dominator

ASUS ROG 390 MB

ASUS ROG 4090  OC

Windows 10 pro

Pimax 8kx with the single USB plug upgrade

Pimax openXR

OpenXR tool kit

XR neck safe

DCS open beta

Pimax 8kx Pi tool setting are native 90hz, normal FOV,  smoothing on, no foveated, parallel off, vertical off. Pimax render PD 1.0

I’ve been running openXR for sometime now and never had the command line parameters  set as in “ –force open xr etc”.

Just before MT update patch I was getting 45 to 55 FPS with medium DCS settings and DCS PD at .5

After OB update to MT all I did for setting up MT was to delete the DCS exe in Pimax and create a new short cut in Pimax from the DCS bin-MT.

Did not mess with command line and didn’t change anything in openXR toolkit.

Loaded Pitool then voice attack, XR neck safe, team speak then selected DCS in Pitool.

DCS loaded with the darker menu, and blank screen no progress bar etc. that everyone here is seeing then it was at menu, load a map and was getting 110+ fps with DCS on medium setting. Jacked everything up but for clouds and running flat shadows getting 80-90 fps. But it was jerky so turned off motion smoothing in pitool and changed openXR resolution override to around 5500 by 4600. all other openXR settings are default.

DCS runs great not jerky and again 80-90 fps butter smooth.

If on carrier F18 with medium assets getting 65-75 pfs.

AH-64 in rain cuscus map getting 65-75 fps.

Also seeing 50-60% cpu usage on my 8 cores and the 16 threads.

GPU running at 70% usage.

As others have said I’m lucking out with the  DCS god’s.

I’m thinking that there is just a large difference in everyones system that there is no way to lockdown the problems everyone is having and that does suck.  

Edited by Cooler07

Atari 800XL 64K MEMORY 1050 FLOPPY Video GTIA chip 300 baud modem.

Here are some pics sorry not very good using cell phone.

Also want to add I deleted the open composite app but stange it still shows in openXR tool kit???????

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

more

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

Update:  Menu problem reported to mbucchia on discord.

PimaxXR broken but SteamVR working fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

how did you update to that PiMax 8Kx version number it wont let me.

PiMax V1.0.1.284

I'm still stuck on the old one (V1.0.1.277)  and there is no download for that 284.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

9 minutes ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

how did you update to that PiMax 8Kx version number it wont let me.

PiMax V1.0.1.284

I'm still stuck on the old one (V1.0.1.277)  and there is no download for that 284.

Trying to remember where I got it, not sure if I downloaded it or just kept pushing update. I'll keep looking.

Ok found it

Pitool 1.0.1.284v - PimaxVR Software / Release Notes - OpenMR | Community

5 minutes ago, Cooler07 said:

Trying to remember where I got it, not sure if I downloaded it or just kept pushing update. I'll keep looking.

Ok found it

thanks updated and worked..

Thanks for all the info gents and ladies... Wish me luck this weekend I've been building my simpit during the updates the past few months and now that I am up and running I am going to fire up the Pimax 8kx  tomorrow morning in MT 🤞 😬

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

On 3/13/2023 at 11:25 AM, Cooler07 said:

Ok found it

Well I tried your link and unfortunately it stuck my 8kx into DFU mode loop; just my typical bad luck.  The indication is the LED flickers red/blue/green and gives a 'Fault detection 10500" and what happens is the headset can not install the Firmware because it sticks itself in a "loop"

If anyone else ends up having this issue I tried multiple solutions from Pimax support website this is the the instructions that finally helped.  BTW the other solutions had me downloading separate "toolkits" that were not helpful.  The DFUUpgrade was the only one that worked and are in these instructions.

https://support.pimax.com/en/support/solutions/articles/60000815079-hmd-flashes-red-blue-and-green-and-can-t-be-connected

Anyways I had to return to the older version of PiTool and Firmware because after a hour+ of getting out of the DFU loop I didn't want to attempt the update again.  The older PiTool and Firmware did work for me in MT... of course with the horrible stutter in the menu (I did find it interesting that the IPD adjust didn't function while at the menu screen 🤔)

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

22 hours ago, Rodeo said:

Well I tried your link and unfortunately it stuck my 8kx into DFU mode loop; just my typical bad luck.

Firmware update with Pimax needs a bit of polishing.  I did it with three different HMDs and none worked on the first attempt!  Fortunately, it did work on the second try and guess I was lucky.  Seems that some issues with Pimax are persistent even if you reboot, I had to completely unplug all cables and wait a minute, replug and restart the PC for issues to go away.

There is a price to pay for this wide field of view...😅 

Edited by WipeUout
Typo

2 hours ago, Cooler07 said:

Not sure what to tell you I've been running this version for sometime.

Sorry

No worries the rest of your advise was spot on;  just my typical bad luck.. defiently not your fault at all.  I was just giving people a general heads up on ANY firmware updates the DFU loop pitfalls and what advice/link actually worked because I seemed to try them all.

Cheers

Edited by Rodeo