Quest Pro vs G2 Impressions - 4090/7950x3D

DirtyMike0330

I ignore the multiplier and go by the resolution. Minimum 4704 for me I think.

You have to start the Link before running DCS. It’s not automatic.

ASW is configured in the Oculus Debug Tool.

• Thanks 1

To turn off ASW, I have a script:

"C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugToolCLI.exe" <noasw.txt
pause

-----------

server:asw.off
service set-use-fov-stencil off
service set-client-fov-tan-angle-multiplier 0 0
exit

-----------

Yeah, I have posted this many months ago.

noasw.txtnoasw.bat

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Thanks 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

1 hour ago, slughead said:

You have to start the Link before running DCS. It’s not automatic.

What does that mean? Do I have to run this configurator every time?

4Bv4RGXm.jpg

No any shortcut?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

7 minutes ago, YoYo said:

What does that mean? Do I have to run this configurator every time?

4Bv4RGXm.jpg

No any shortcut?

No. Once you have put the headset on, you establish the Oculus Link in "quick settings" (click on the wifi and battery symbol).

• Thanks 1

One more thing I missed out: run the script only after entering the Rift-S/Oculus Link mode.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

I'm slowly getting to my settings. I gave 1.3 but also OpenXR Tollkit I gave forced resolution 3002x3088 per eye with 72Hz and the picture started to be very nice (near the level of resolution of my G2). Even over Paris I has 72fps, nice!

However, this worries me, sometimes I see blurry further textures or on further trees (what?), I also launched IL-2 BoX and there also further textures are very really blurry (in DCS is not bad, but in IL-2 is bad). Like compression? I don't know the reason. I havent it in my G2. What do you think? What is it? My USB-C on motherbord has 20 Gbps connection, one of the newer motherboards.

gnua6cul.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 5/26/2023 at 8:54 AM, slughead said:

Quite. I thought why not ask the developer directly rather than all the conjecture? Facts not fiction right? 🙅‍♂️

You're absolutely right. Looks like I should have shut my mouth up twice in row, I stand corrected (with hot ego bruises 😅).

You will, however, grant me the discord capture was a little confusing, since it mentioned the Quest, not the Pro. The Quest lacks the required hardware for eye tracking, whereas the QP does, and definitely IS on OpenXR TK compatibility list (though with limitations), leading to my wrong assumption.

Anyway, sorry for the mess, please keep up posting your feedbacks on what could soon become my new VR HMD.

Edited by Shug Ninx
  • Like 2

I can already see some advantages but it's still not perfect as I would like. It's a bit of a road through hell. However, WMR and its tools are simpler. 😉

I noticed very delicate transparent horizontal lines, while in DCS they are almost invisible, in IL-2 BoX they are. Rather, it is not a screen defect because there is nothing like it in the room or desktop. Actually, someone here wrote about something similar, although I don't know if it's this. In IL-2, when you look at the ground from an external view, they are the most visible. On bright fields (like the sky) you can't see it. Did you notice something like this?

On 5/15/2023 at 11:59 AM, nikoel said:

image.png

How did you put it 900. I can put only 500 (encode bitrate), not beta.

Edit: done, it worked and c&p

btw with 500 is better but with 900 I dont see this "compressed" lines. Good find.

image.png

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

And another question, can I force the Oculus software itself, e.g. ODT, in what resolution the image should be displayed? I did it under OpenXR Toolkit (for MT for example), but is it possible to set a different resolution in some tool without OpenXR Toolkit?

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Some solutions are cool, but some are stupid, when flying .... controllers report that they have "no tracking" and I see pop up during flying 😞, they are lying next to the computer, probably went to rest .... I don't see an option to disable this pop up.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

11 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Some solutions are cool, but some are stupid, when flying .... controllers report that they have "no tracking" and I see pop up during flying 😞, they are lying next to the computer, probably went to rest .... I don't see an option to disable this pop up.

I don’t experience that problem in the game. But I also have hand gestures enabled. Have you tried that?

Edited by slughead

20 minutes ago, YoYo said:

My workaround for this is: 

When in desktop/quest link, before I start the game, I will long press to power off the controller. You should see the popup one time, which will disappear. Then they don't pop up anymore when I actually start IL2/DCS/MSFS and am playing. 

The only reason I power the controllers on at all is because the QP will not let you click the DESKTOP button after you launch quest link unless you use the controller apparently. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330
  • Like 1

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

3 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

The only reason I power the controllers on at all is because the QP will not let you click the DESKTOP button after you launch quest link unless you use the controller apparently. 

I don’t have that problem either. My controllers are docked on the charger and I use hand gestures to that the Oculus Link.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slughead said:

I don’t experience that problem in the game. But I also have hand gestures enabled. Have you tried that?

I think you expect too much for me from the first day of testing 😅.

Btw. As for the Link cable, sometimes artifacts appear after the flight and it freezes (desktop window). Or doesn't recognize it. Weird. Any ideas what to do then? I have to restart the computer and then it's ok again. I think it's some software issue. Should there be a procedure? Generally, if I take it off and put it back on after 5 minutes, it doesn't detect it anymore but sometime is ok, weird. I see this 3 dots on black screen and nothing.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

I think you expect too much for me from the first day of testing 😅.

Btw. As for the Link cable, sometimes artifacts appear after the flight and it freezes (desktop window). Or doesn't recognize it. Weird. Any ideas what to do then? I have to restart the computer and then it's ok again. I think it's some software issue. Should there be a procedure? Generally, if I take it off and put it back on after 5 minutes, it doesn't detect it anymore but sometime is ok, weird. I see this 3 dots on black screen and nothing.

What software version is installed in the headset?

• Like 1

My headset turned up today nothing to say as it's all been said before except:

From a G2 it's like some one come in my house over night and upgraded my PC for free and while they were there performed an operation to remove tunnel vision I didn't realize I had.

So pleased. 

Edited by freehand
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, slughead said:

What software version is installed in the headset?

in the Oculus-Client folder I have a file with info about v3.1.13.

Oculus App Version 53.0.0.105.132 (53.0.0.105.132)

btw.

My symptoms:

1/ When I turn on goggles and put on my head I see something like this:

oculus-quest-2-link-cable-not-detected-6

a) Allow

Next I see this:

oculus-quest-2-link-cable-not-detected-2

b) Enable

and it works without issue.

2/ after the end of plying I push here to disconnect Cable Link (button on the end, example only)

RcI1ZK2.jpg

3/ after this I cant enable it again (no this two pop up at beginning, I see only 3 dots with black background. Only when I disconnect the USB cable from the goggles and put it back in will the pop ups appear in the room again and I can activate the Cable link again.

Second situation:

1/ Im using Link cable, e.g. when I'm in Desktop, not in the game. I take them off for a while. I see the goggle image dims and seems to go to sleep. I put my goggles back on and I'm back on the home screen, no pop up and Cable link not detected. So again I have to turn on and off the USB cable from the goggles. No sense.

It's obviously a software issue I suppose, because the cable works as soon as it's turned on and it's ok. On the other hand, turning the cable on and off is not a good solution, this socket is delicate, yesterday I did it several times and I'm already afraid that something will break down after hundreds of them. Unless I'm just doing something wrong?

I found this topic too: https://vrlowdown.com/oculus-quest-2-link-cable-not-detected/, I see that I have USB power menagement on, maybe this?

Btw. Interestingly, yesterday, probably 12 hours of testing (all the time on the cable), the charge dropped to ... 85% 👍

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I don’t have those problems. I can take the headset off and back on and it remains in the game. That was another bonus for me over the G2.

You’re on the latest software although you should receive v54 imminently.

Perhaps try asking on the meta quest forums.

• Like 1

That Oculus Link dialogue box shows up once, normally.

There is no need to go back to Quest Home afterwards, unless you want some standalone stuff.

If so, you can reconnect click on the "battery + clock" sign on the bottom of the Quest Home. "Quick Settings"  A menu shows up and then click on Oculus Link button on the right.

Hint: you can power off the headset even in the Rift-S environment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

3/ after this I cant enable it again (no this two pop up at beginning, I see only 3 dots with black background. Only when I disconnect the USB cable from the goggles and put it back in will the pop ups appear in the room again and I can activate the Cable link again.

Settings > System>Link

14 hours ago, slughead said:

I don’t have that problem either. My controllers are docked on the charger and I use hand gestures to that the Oculus Link.

Ooooh, I'll have to enable hand tracking and try that! 

Edited by DirtyMike0330

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

Today everything was fine with my connection. Cable link worked flawlessly. I also set resolution 3232x3328 (1.15 supersampling), I like it more and more :). 

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Does this headset have a full enclosure, that blocks all outside light? As far as I have seen, it does not, it only has 2 side light blockers, but underneath there is still an opening. Does it bother?

Edited by skywalker22

7 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Does this headset have a full enclosure, that blocks all outside light? As far as I have seen, it does not, it only has 2 side light blockers, but underneath there is still an opening. Does it bother?

You can buy the optional full face mask.