Engine Overspeed on Air Start

nairb121

Engine overspeeds by an extreme amount when advancing throttle to afterburner immediately after spawning in air. To reproduce:

1. Spawn in air with throttle in MIL or below.
2. Immediately advance throttle to MAX.
3. Engine hangs at ~85% RPM, temperature climbs rapidly. Afterburner does not light.
4. Reduce throttle to MIL. Engine increases to 100% and overshoots significantly, to almost 200% RPM, with excessive thrust and fuel consumption.
5. Engine after some time slows back to 100%.

The duration of this overspeed seems to be proportional to the time held at MAX prior to reducing to MIL. I believe I have encountered this overspeed issue in other situations, but I have only been able to reproduce it in this manner.

Track is attached.

F-5 engine overspeed.trk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Happens to me, too.  Every time I start a mission with the F-5E already in the air, the engine RPM immediately shoots up to something like 184%.  I can bring the RPMs down and get the engines to respond to throttle input if I immediately pull the throttle to idle upon mission start, but if I do not do that very quickly, then the engines will become stuck in that overreved position and the only way to fix them is to shut off fuel flow and then air-start them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, nairb121 said:

Has any tester been able to reproduce this yet? Is there any additional information I can provide?

I don't know about any testers, but I stumbled upon it today, so ED can have another track file to ignore.

mach2f5.trk

• Like 1

I did several air starts to try to pin down exactly what the problem is.  Tracks attached.

In all cases, although I have turned on the option to match the aircraft controls with the HOTAs position on start, the throttle begins at about 90% dry thrust during the air start regardless of the throttle position.  That's why the aircraft throttle "snaps" to another position as soon as I move the HOTAs throttle a little.

In all cases, engine temperature and fuel consumption spike really high in the first few seconds of an in-air start.  If the throttle is placed in idle, or even in full military power, the engines sort themselves out and start behaving normally after a few seconds, and afterburner can be selected without problems.  (FullMilPowerAtStart.trk and IdleThrottleAtStart.trk.)

However, if the throttle is immediately advanced to afterburner during air start, or if the throttle is advanced to afterburner during the first few seconds after air start, then engine temperature spikes way past the redline, fuel consumption increases without the AB lighting, and engine thrust output hangs at about 86% mil power.  (EngineOverspeed1.trk and EngineOverspeed2.trk.)  Once that happens, there is no way to get the engines working properly without shutdown and in-air restart.

EngineOverspeed1.trk EngineOverspeed2.trk FullMilPowerAtStart.trk IdleThrottleAtStart.trk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...