Taxi or landing lights on take-off

Mud

Hey folks, 

I was wondering what the SOP is during take-off regarding this.  Landing lights or taxi lights?
Did some searching on the subject, but could not find an answer.

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Hallo!

As an active military pilot I can say that the SOP differ from airforce to airforce. In general the anti collision light will be on to alert everybody that the engine are already running or shortly before doing so. The landing light will be definitely on for landing since the landing light is a signal for tower that the landing gear is down and locked. In most jet the landing light will only illuminate if the gear is down and locked. At night a landing/taxi light is a good idea to have it turned on.

Greetings

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

In the US civil sector, landing light on takeoff. I haven't paid attention to the lights on Vipers flying out of jobsites (Andrews, McEntyre (sp?)) so couldn't give you an answer on that, but I'd assume it's probably the same outside of combat zones.

• Thanks 1

I think it's similar to the civil sector, too. Just some differences. Until You aren't on ground-power supply, the external lights goes on first after the generator is on bus after engine-startup. When the engine is running, You need to inform other about that with the strobe as we don't have any red beacons. Taxi light turned on short befor taxiing, until lined-up on rwy. Then change to landing light. Let the switch on and as You slow down the landing-run, on rwy exit change to taxi-light again, until stop on the apron. That's all business🤜🤛 

Edited by smire666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, Blutpumpe said:

As an active military pilot I can say that the SOP differ from airforce to airforce.

They differ even within just the USAF,

On 4/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, Blutpumpe said:

anti collision light will be on to alert everybody that the engine are already running or shortly before doing so

especially this one

• Thanks 1

just out of rationality: Landing lights shine a long and narrow cone, taxi lights short, but broad. While taxiing you like to see more of the surroundings / exits / interjunctions and don't need to know what's 1000ft ahead of you. Like in the automobile: high beam and low beam.

Landing lights... usually you go straigth in (and out) and need to know if someone's blocking your runway, you don't care what's left or right of it.

So, on taxiway: taxi lights, on or on approach runway: landing lights.

Edited by void68
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where is my god damn takeoff light, my brothers got their lights!  😉 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are special considerations for "covert departure" which don't use a lot of lights at all. There are also considerations for the vision of ground crew at night (avoiding strobes, flashing lights, etc.) However traditionally:

• Position flash, anti collision enabled prior to engine start
  • Taxi light prior to movement out of parking (nice way to signal to lead that your jet is good to go and taxi is soon)
  • Landing light prior to runway entry (note, before entry not after lineup)

Special considerations

• No anti-collision, position steady for night ground crew proximity
  • Like 1