G2 slight irritating wobble

markturner1960

I know my G2 uses inside out tracking, and this is not a serious issue, but sometimes I get a kind of vibration or wobble in what I am seeing. If I gently touch or steady the headset, it will stop. Its not all the time either, just now and then.

Is there anything that people have found helps with this ? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

have you tried resetting environment data in Windows settings VR?

• Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

No...... ? Why would that help ? ( I mean that not denigrating your suggestion, just interested as to how the wobble is potentially tied to these settings ! Thanks for the advice! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

well while not exactly sure what you mean with wobble but resetting the environment couldnt hurt and it only take a mouse click.. perhaps the sensor for the tracking is defective??

And beside when troubleshooting technical issues it is just a process of elimination most times. I am no way and expert at everything but there are certain things one can always try perhpas any suggestion is better then none.. if it does not fix the issue then that might have not been what was wrong but without seeing the issue firsthand it is hard to decipher what you mean by a wobble..

But if clearing the environmtne does not clear it  do you get the wobble all the time like in cliffhouse or just in DCS or other games??

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Thanks, the suggestions are appreciated and welcome! No, its only sometimes and I dont use the headset with anything else. I am inclined to think its a tracking issue. In OpenXR toolkit, there are options for shaking reduction, which makes me think that perhaps this is a "thing" ( or why would someone go toi the trouble of making a tool to reduce it?) 

However, I dont understand enough about how the tracking works, what may cause the shaking or how the tool helps it.....

Cheers anyway! 

On 4/9/2023 at 6:13 AM, The_Nephilim said:

have you tried resetting environment data in Windows settings VR?

+1

after 1 year without issues, my G2 tracking suddenly started to get "jumpy". I tried to change the lights and reduced reflections in the room. But no joy. After resetting the environment data the prblem was solved for good. Never happened again (so far).

If the environment reset doesn’t work, it may be worth printing a couple of VR markers (fiducial markers) and placing them on the wall near where your headset will see them. 

I have a ”busy” desk environment that changes between flight sessions and these markers really helped stabilise my headset tracking.

On 4/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, LittleNose said:

If the environment reset doesn’t work, it may be worth printing a couple of VR markers (fiducial markers) and placing them on the wall near where your headset will see them. 

Interesting !

What type of VR markers are you using ? I only found those proposed by Varjo’s developer documentation website after a quick search, and was wondering if they’re appropriate for any inside out tracking HMD. Did you notice any improvements with the G2 ?

I don't think you need anything "official", but the Varjo ones are nice and easy.
I use 3 markers, which I have spaced a couple of metre's apart.  I have no stats to confirm anything, but it 'feels' like the Reverb G2 headset tracks more smoothly, especially in dim light conditions.

@lobo not sure who you're asking, but yes I did reset environment data, to no avail. G2's tracking isn't poor per se, but the micro movement are a pain when using spyglass zoom, making it almost useless. It also affect some "look down" situations within the cockpit, when trying to reach some down low left or right panels switches. So much so I can even "see" my heartbeat. OpenXR Toolkit options to reduce shaking are most welcome, but I'll definitely try @LittleNose's suggestion.

En 7/4/2023 a las 9:44, markturner1960 dijo:

I know my G2 uses inside out tracking, and this is not a serious issue, but sometimes I get a kind of vibration or wobble in what I am seeing. If I gently touch or steady the headset, it will stop. Its not all the time either, just now and then.

Is there anything that people have found helps with this ? 

Don't know if I can Help but here we go.

After almost fighting with my reverb g2 3 years I found this :

- Is very , very sensitive to the light, needs a good light environment.

- It may be obvious, but cleaning the four little camera lens and do not interfere them with cables and other stuff is imperative. Found me having issues because of putting on my headset and touch one lens that get obstructed with my finger print

- I noticed also that in certains configurations with OXR toolkit, the wobbles appears more often than with other configs , normally when I try to go beyond the GPU limit , and have retroprojection on, 

- At the new OXR developers toolkit , If you enable motion reprojection , two new options are enabled, one of them is "disable optic flux in nvidia RTX ...o" or something like that, in my rig this MUST be DISABLED in order not to see bubbles...

Hope this help

By the way I never ever have reseted my environment, and so far never needed it.

Hope This help.

My rig is almost like yours, I fly with OXR developers toolkit at 100%, at oxr tools cas and sharpening at 70%, force resolution between 2750 and 3000 , motion compensation ON and unlocked FPS, shadows medium, terrain shadows off or planar. cockpit lighting off and no msaa and no fxaa...

You can play also with p.d. in dcs vr tab between 0.8 and 1.0

Great graphics and smooth playtime. 

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick