Eagle Dynamics "modular" dedicated server installer

2 hours ago, Raviar said:

it will all depens on :
1. if dedicated server use the same amount of resources compare to dcs standalone by pass "--server" parametere to it, if it gave me same exact perfomance, well, you are right
2. if I can run the DCS standalone as a server in multi instances 
3. being able to run the standalone while the server is running 

I am using multiple machines, and the one I am talking about is not mine gamming rig, but it has decend resources to run multiple instaces of server, and I might need to fireup standalonme time to time while keeping the server modular ( ex: only use syria and Nevada on the server - I know I can create aliases but again repair will be messy )

1. Yes, performance it's the same, even the RAM that is the most impacted at the moment.
2. Yes, you just have to give a different working directory ( -w parameter , -w server1, -w server2 and so on) 
3. Yes, just remember that each things need to run in their own working directory.

Normally I don't change any parameter of the client/standalone shortcut on desktop after the installation, so it will work on SavedGames\DCS.OpenBeta and I also use it to perform update, and then I create a shortcut to start the server, using -w DCS.server1 --server etc.

this is the best scenario (in terms of disk footprint that was the initial request) if you want have a client and a server running from the same machine.
I do have this configuration for years in the past, works really fine and make me able to open mission editor ( full client installation ) to adjust a .miz file directly from the machine that we use as a server. 

Of course to update stuff, all server instances and client must be switched off to run updater.

Edited by Maverick87Shaka
  • Like 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 3 weeks later...

@Jakko For the stable version it is referred to as @dcs_server.release

@BIGNEWY Can we also add that @dcs_server.release to the original post? Also, might be worth mentioning the --quiet option as its quite handy for people to be able to script automated updates. I got that info from the ED Discord when I was asking about the modular server install.

• Like 3

CPU: i9-12900K @ 4.9Ghz

M/B: MSI MEG z690 Ace

RAM: 128GB

Video Card: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X

VR: Varjo Aero

Okay.  So I am brand new to this dedicated server business and want to host several servers for my squadron.  I installed the OB Dedicated server and it is running perfectly.  What I don't understand is how to add a second, third, etc.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:18 AM, Maverick87Shaka said:

Normally I don't change any parameter of the client/standalone shortcut on desktop after the installation, so it will work on SavedGames\DCS.OpenBeta and I also use it to perform update...

So far, I am tracking with what Maverick said.  Install and don't change anything after the install.  CHECK.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:18 AM, Maverick87Shaka said:

... and then I create a shortcut to start the server, using -w DCS.server1 --server etc.

Here's where I get confused.  The shortcut to start the server was created in the installation.  It calls "DCS_server.exe"  Are you saying that I need to copy that and create one for every server I want using the command line option -w DCS.server1 where the name after the switch is the name of the server?

Where do I establish the ports for these servers?

Is there a separate folder structure under the saved games for each -w server I start?

Sorry for the complete newb questions.  If there's a guide for how to do this please point me in that direction.  Thank you.

EDIT:  Found this resource that helped me out tremendously.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a9QKMhSPMF-gS4rAH-mWc45ziD1mooleQGQnwa9JoDs/edit?pli=1

Edited by Mistermann
Added guide for multiple server setup
  • Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2023 at 12:26 AM, Mistermann said:

Okay.  So I am brand new to this dedicated server business and want to host several servers for my squadron.  I installed the OB Dedicated server and it is running perfectly.  What I don't understand is how to add a second, third, etc.

So far, I am tracking with what Maverick said.  Install and don't change anything after the install.  CHECK.

Here's where I get confused.  The shortcut to start the server was created in the installation.  It calls "DCS_server.exe"  Are you saying that I need to copy that and create one for every server I want using the command line option -w DCS.server1 where the name after the switch is the name of the server?

Where do I establish the ports for these servers?

Is there a separate folder structure under the saved games for each -w server I start?

Sorry for the complete newb questions.  If there's a guide for how to do this please point me in that direction.  Thank you.

EDIT:  Found this resource that helped me out tremendously.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a9QKMhSPMF-gS4rAH-mWc45ziD1mooleQGQnwa9JoDs/edit?pli=1

Hey mate, 

So definition of ports for your various instances of a DCS server are done via the server profile. When you run a server with a -w in your Saved Games it will create a folder of that name. So for your example, there should be a folder called "DCS.server1". You put your configuration into that folder for that instances ports. If you have any further questions hit me up on the ED Discord or the Hoggit Discord and I can hopefully clear up any additional questions you have.

• Thanks 1

CPU: i9-12900K @ 4.9Ghz

M/B: MSI MEG z690 Ace

RAM: 128GB

Video Card: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X

VR: Varjo Aero

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, schurem said:

Do you need a seperate user account on DCS.world for this server or can I use my regular account? I keep getting wrong username or password..

Same account will work, but I would recommend ( since is no more required to own the modules on server account ) to create a dedicated account just to use for server purpose. But it's the same ED account ( not the one for the forum )

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Turned out I had a typo in the password. Password manager had three different ones. Go figure 😕  

Ayway, instead of wasting a good 160 gb on copies of maps, I symlinked the mods folder from my regular DCS install and the server runs nicely.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

1 hour ago, schurem said:

Turned out I had a typo in the password. Password manager had three different ones. Go figure 😕  

Ayway, instead of wasting a good 160 gb on copies of maps, I symlinked the mods folder from my regular DCS install and the server runs nicely.

If you had the full client installation and need to run a server from the same machine, make another installation is completely wasting of resources.
You have to start an instance of your client acting like a server, that's it. You don't have to install dedicated modular server to do that.

• 1 month later...

How do I load scripts with this server?

On my normal DCS from steam I put a script into <saved-games>/DCS/Scripts/Inject/<my-module>/init.lua and it worked. With the dedicated server it does not. Am I doing something wrong?

i3-2500k @3.30 GHz | Gigabyte HD7870 | 16 Gb RAM | SSD Samsung 850EVO | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

what scripts are you trying to load?
Normally when hosting server, all scripts must be contained in the .miz file.

39 minutes ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

what scripts are you trying to load?
Normally when hosting server, all scripts must be contained in the .miz file.

They don't have to be. There is a ton of scripts outside of your .miz file. You can take a look at the Scripts directory both in your game folder and in saved games folder.

In any case I am answering my own question. I forgot to install the injector script into Hooks directory. That is the script responsible for loading scripts in the Inject directory.

i3-2500k @3.30 GHz | Gigabyte HD7870 | 16 Gb RAM | SSD Samsung 850EVO | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1