Las Vegas VR group

RackMonkey

I would like to get a loose group of VR users together in Las Vegas in order to compare our systems and headsets. 

I bought my Reverb a couple of years ago and have NEVER been able to determine if it is working to the highest potential. I just don't have a second headset of any kind to compare it to and right now I don't know of anybody in my area that is using VR in DCS.

It would be nice to have another Reverb to compare to mine to see if operating correctly. How about being able to see if a 4090 is really worth the price when compared to a 7900. How about being able to check out and Aero or Pimax before dropping 2k on something that just wouldn't be worth it until you upgraded your computer. 

I look forward to hearing from other VR users in the Las Vegas area weather they fly DCS or not as any ability to compare can only help the situation. 

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

• 2 weeks later...

guess so, I have a G2 what would you like to know?? I am not in vegas but we can compare notes.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Thanks but I'm looking to start a group here where we can physically meet and try each others computers to see how different pieces of hardware work together. Maybe even swap some parts to see what works best.

Right now a friend let me borrow his 4090 to see how it would work in my system and if it's worth 2K for me to upgrade to it. We have different CPU's and MB's so he gets to see how his 4090 works with what I have and he can make an upgrade decision by actually playing on my system.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

On 5/1/2023 at 10:02 AM, RackMonkey said:

WOW! 233 views and no replies. Am I the only DCS flyer in Vegas that is using VR?

More likely nobody wants to meet up with strangers, much less sweaty gamers from the internet 😛

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

My favorite map is NTTR because I can crank up settings compared to other maps, except when flying over Las Vegas of course.

I can maintain my GPU FT bellow 12ms easily with a native resolution (4k per eye) on my Pimax 8kX.  CPU FT is not an issue anymore with MT.

Do you have track file to share for comparison?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

15 minutes ago, WipeUout said:

My favorite map is NTTR because I can crank up settings compared to other maps, except when flying over Las Vegas of course.

I can maintain my GPU FT bellow 12ms easily with a native resolution (4k per eye) on my Pimax 8kX.  CPU FT is not an issue anymore with MT.

Do you have track file to share for comparison?

I think you have misconstrued my intent. I'm looking for people who actually live in the Las Vegas area. You can't really make a proper comparison of VR over the internet.   

16 minutes ago, RackMonkey said:

You can't really make a proper comparison of VR over the internet.

Mmm, not sure I understand this either now.  Playing DCS on multiplayer or single player can be a basis for comparison but the best way to compare your setup with other is to use a track file to standardize as much as possible the testing environment.  When using a track file, it does not matter where you are physically and everyone in the community can try it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I just finished testing with my friends 4090 and there is no way that you could have proved to me that spending $1600 would be worth it. There is no substitute for setting down at a computer and seeing with your own eyes what a difference there is. The difference between my 6900XT and the 4090 is remarkable. My biggest test are how far out can I find and airport and at what distance can I see the carrier deck clearly in order to line up at only half a mile out. 

Having the 4090 in my system it also shoed me that I am not CPU bound when running in MT. The 4090 was zipping along at 99% while the CPU was averaging about 30%. That answered my question of am I going to need to upgrade my MB and CPU.

2 hours ago, RackMonkey said:

I just finished testing with my friends 4090 and there is no way that you could have proved to me that spending $1600 would be worth it. There is no substitute for setting down at a computer and seeing with your own eyes what a difference there is. The difference between my 6900XT and the 4090 is remarkable. My biggest test are how far out can I find and airport and at what distance can I see the carrier deck clearly in order to line up at only half a mile out. 

Having the 4090 in my system it also shoed me that I am not CPU bound when running in MT. The 4090 was zipping along at 99% while the CPU was averaging about 30%. That answered my question of am I going to need to upgrade my MB and CPU.

That's really interesting to know. I'm running a similar setup to you - i5-11600K, AMD 6900XT and a Reverb G2. It's good to know a GPU upgrade would probably bring big performance gains and my CPU should be fine. I don't like those 4090 prices at the moment though!

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

I wish I could get my hands on a 7900XTX but I doubt it would be anywhere close to the 4090. It might catch up as AMD puts out FSR 3 and other driver updates. If I knew it would get closer to the 4090 it might be worth it at the lower price. Right now the only thing you can do to get the performance is to hock your first born and pay the price nVidia wants.     

11 minutes ago, RackMonkey said:

I wish I could get my hands on a 7900XTX but I doubt it would be anywhere close to the 4090. It might catch up as AMD puts out FSR 3 and other driver updates. If I knew it would get closer to the 4090 it might be worth it at the lower price. Right now the only thing you can do to get the performance is to hock your first born and pay the price nVidia wants.     

'Course, you could try to find someone who might be interested in making an offer on the 6900XT you'd be looking to get rid of, to take some of the sting outta that shiny new 4090.  And, you know...keep yer first born.

*ahem*... 😄

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.