How Microsoft Mess up your system.

Just imagine, downloading the latest AMD driver after receiving their email, restarting in Safe Mode, cleaning up the registry using DDU and what do you see?

Microsoft-Mess.jpg

That's right... Time to reboot and he "thing" already downloaded 978.76 MB of files, among which those update triggers and stuff that AMD warned us about, replacing our AMD native drivers by their own.

I've had it with them, up to now I was happy disabling Windows update in "Services" but it is not enough, next step, disabling Windows automatic Update in Registry.

AMD wasn't jocking when they messaged us through Adrenalin and asked us to check our drivers because Microsoft was replacing them with their own, and there is more than that, in those updates, there is a Multiplane Overlay setting which prevents our GPU to boost and causes the card to crash with mention (Driver Time Out) if you try to do it manually.

The solution is here: Disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay)  I'm not advising you to do the same, just passing the info through.

Fly like Maine Yaks...

• Thanks 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

51 minutes ago, Thinder said:

Just imagine, downloading the latest AMD driver after receiving their email, restarting in Safe Mode, cleaning up the registry using DDU and what do you see?

Microsoft-Mess.jpg

That's right... Time to reboot and he "thing" already downloaded 978.76 MB of files, among which those update triggers and stuff that AMD warned us about, replacing our AMD native drivers by their own.

I've had it with them, up to now I was happy disabling Windows update in "Services" but it is not enough, next step, disabling Windows automatic Update in Registry.

AMD wasn't jocking when they messaged us through Adrenalin and asked us to check our drivers because Microsoft was replacing them with their own, and there is more than that, in those updates, there is a Multiplane Overlay setting which prevents our GPU to boost and causes the card to crash with mention (Driver Time Out) if you try to do it manually.

The solution is here: Disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay)  I'm not advising you to do the same, just passing the info through.

Fly like Maine Yaks...

I feel your pain. I hated it when Microsoft changed their updates to not offer a 'let me do it manually' or 'download updates but install manually' and knew this was going to cause a lot of pain.

My workaround has been to create 2 .reg files.  The first one sets windows update to go through a local WSUS server, and the second restores this to factory default, so I can run that, reboot and do the updates when I want.

I don't know if this will work with Windows Home though. (I've been using Windows professional). Good to know there's other methods. Thanks.

• Like 1

So it still happens after nearly 4 years??  (had the same issue back in 2019 with the RX5700XT!) 

M$ updates and AMD Adrenalin drivers conflicting, man I'm so friggin glad I'm out of that constant pain.
I wish all the best for you guys having to put up with this issue, it is a PITA.

• Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

4 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

I feel your pain. I hated it when Microsoft changed their updates to not offer a 'let me do it manually' or 'download updates but install manually' and knew this was going to cause a lot of pain.

My workaround has been to create 2 .reg files.  The first one sets windows update to go through a local WSUS server, and the second restores this to factory default, so I can run that, reboot and do the updates when I want.

I don't know if this will work with Windows Home though. (I've been using Windows professional). Good to know there's other methods. Thanks.

Well if you could share those files it might come handy to some of us...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

22 minutes ago, Thinder said:

Well if you could share those files it might come handy to some of us...

Sure. I'm just a stranger on the internet so you know... use at your own risk. 😉

Create a text file called BlockUpdate.reg and put the following in:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000001
"TargetGroup"="Windows 10"
"TargetGroupEnabled"=dword:00000001 
"WUServer"="http://WSUS:8530"
"WUStatusServer"="http://WSUS:8530"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
; 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option will be available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available
"NoAUShutdownOption"=dword:00000000
"NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"=dword:00000000
; False (Do not disable AutoUpdate)
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001
"AUOptions"=dword:00000003
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

Create a text file called Restore.reg and put the following in

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

I did this on Win 10. I think it's fine to use on Win 11 even with the Windows 10 reference, as the target group is just for the WSUS server which.... doesn't exist. (Unless you have a server called WSUS on your domain, then it'll grab the updates from there) 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

Sure. I'm just a stranger on the internet so you know... use at your own risk. 😉

Create a text file called BlockUpdate.reg and put the following in:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000001
"TargetGroup"="Windows 10"
"TargetGroupEnabled"=dword:00000001 
"WUServer"="http://WSUS:8530"
"WUStatusServer"="http://WSUS:8530"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
; 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option will be available in the Shut Down Windows dialog box if updates are available
"NoAUShutdownOption"=dword:00000000
"NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption"=dword:00000000
; False (Do not disable AutoUpdate)
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001
"AUOptions"=dword:00000003
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001

Create a text file called Restore.reg and put the following in

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

I did this on Win 10. I think it's fine to use on Win 11 even with the Windows 10 reference, as the target group is just for the WSUS server which.... doesn't exist. (Unless you have a server called WSUS on your domain, then it'll grab the updates from there) 😉

Thanks a lot!

Have you tried this:

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-automatic-driver-install-windows-11/

the first measure is usually all it needs for what you want.

GPO is unavailable in Home editions, that won't work.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

29 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

Have you tried this:

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-automatic-driver-install-windows-11/

the first measure is usually all it needs for what you want.

GPO is unavailable in Home editions, that won't work.

I think I posted the link to this site in my intro, the problem is that the more you dig into it, the more Microsoft retaliate with new triggers, so your O.S will not respond to settings and keep downloading updates.

The regedit trick doesn't work.

The Windows Update block functionality is built into Display Driver Uninstaller, in the settings. 

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

pull the plug and do it offline, but that is not always practical

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

On 4/28/2023 at 8:36 PM, BitMaster said:

pull the plug and do it offline, but that is not always practical

The triggers are already there from the previous updates, I used at least 5 different methods to stop Automatic Update to revive itself it doesn't work, what it does, it delay the process so I have time to clean the temporary files and disable it again.

Until someone can find a way to beat this and post it online it's not going to be easy.

Damn,

honestly I have no idea what you could do other than start over with no cable connected.

Maybe the whole process hung up and your Windows went nuts, so doing it all over again might not be such a bad idea.

Get it all on a USB stick, all drivers that you need etc.., pull the network, plug in  the USB and install fresh OFFLINE.

Somewhere your install went way down south to Mexico 😉   

*edit:

once done, if you opt for it, and if it works...BACK IT UP !   So you have an easy get-going next time. 

There are many Backup Solutions available, free and pay, pick anyone but DO IT.

Edited by BitMaster

I usually just remove the Ethernet cable after the reboot from safe mode

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png