Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

hace 19 horas, davidrbarnette dijo:

Looking for some help from ya'll:

If I take the Quest 3 off to step away for a minute while DCS is running, when I come back and put the headset back on, it shows the timer/hourglass thing, no image, and eventually DCS crashes. Is there any way to get it to just pause and remain on?

Thanks!

It's the Turbo mode of OpenXR toolkit, turn it off and it won't happen as often. Turbo Mode exacerbates a bug in the Oculus driver that mBucchia has already reported to Meta, but that needs to be fixed. MBucchia has fixed it in Quad View Foveated, we hope to add this fix to the OpenXR toolkit soon.

Edited by Werewolf_fs

5 hours ago, S D said:

I have just switched to using Virtual Desktop and no longer get this problem, headset can go into standby mode and recover into the game fine.

Just as a heads up for anyone using Oculus Link, ditch it, as quick as you can.  I spent a week trying to get some semblence of stability with little to no reward especially in multi-threading build.  I was not conviced that using VD could be better than an actual wired connection, despite reading reports to the contrary.
But boy was i wrong, the difference is night and day,  I cannot recommend it enough.

I still keep it wired to provide power, but no longer use the Oculus PC software at all.  Everything is run through VD and i'm getting stability like I have never experienced before, even with the RiftS.  Try it, for the small price of the program, you will not regret it, just make sure you can meet the requirments of your PC being connected by Ethernet to your router and a 5Ghz connection for the headset.

Also try the newest version of the OpenXR toolkit and enable Turbo Boost mode.

unfortunately I can't quite run the resolution I need to read the MFD's clearly enough when using the options available in VD. By the time I get close, I've fallen below the synchronous spacewarp threshold and I don't enjoy flying without it. I also use leap motion for which I haven't yet found a wireless solution. One day we'll get there 🙂

i don‘t know if this video was mentioned before: https://youtu.be/SxQhOgDyIlQ?si=OHtUEVxi0IU8sPnt

it‘s for those running link cable.

but this fantastic. solved almost all my problems. i‘m running a 7800x3d, a 4090, 64gb ram and the quest 3. fantastic. i set pd ingame to 1.7 and it‘s not stuttering, when flying helos in sinai i have to set dlss to performance instead of quality.

Edited by -Sledgehammer-

On 11/18/2023 at 3:39 PM, Werewolf_fs said:

It's the Turbo mode of OpenXR toolkit, turn it off and it won't happen as often. Turbo Mode exacerbates a bug in the Oculus driver that mBucchia has already reported to Meta, but that needs to be fixed. MBucchia has fixed it in Quad View Foveated, we hope to add this fix to the OpenXR toolkit soon.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I’m not using OpenXR Toolkit.

I just bought a quest 3 and was very excited. I plugged it into my Quest 2 set up and things worked right away. It is noticeable brighter and cleared. However, I feel the FOV is worse than my quest 2. Something must be wrong. I can see the black edges of the rectangle where I don't see in my quest 2. I disabled OXTK and deleted the FOV multiplier in OTT. Still see the black edges.  Any ideas?

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

Turns out it is my link cable. I fired up Virtual Desktop on Ultra mode and running VDXR runtime and Av1 codec. I was amazed at the graphic quality. I noticed some buffering but that might be a tweak in some settings. Definitely happy with my Quest 3. Going back to DCS 2.5.6 is unreal! That Tomcat look so good. Time to play Zone 5 campaign.

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

• 2 weeks later...

Fred's updated HTCC app is now working nicely with the q3 hand tracking (it's like a new and improved "point control" for folks who've never tried it).

Though I prefer the convenience of the leap motion's snappyness and stability, for being able to hold the hands still while rotating wrist and point at the buttons, the HTCC app and Q3 tracking now seems to be working really well (if you're happy to move your hands all around your cockpit area). Still a little laggy and still can't quite reach the switches behind me because i cant rotate the hand, but at least we don't need an extra device attached to the headset 👍

Fred - if you happen to read this this, would it be possible to reduce the filtering a little (as an option?) to reduce the latency? (if sample/averaging is what's creating the lag?)     please disregard - selecting the finger joint pose option has given me what I was hoping for 🙂 Thank you for making the recent improvements

Between Tuesday's oculus PC app update and the latest nvidia driver update, I seem to have gained a couple of FPS or at least some consistency

edit - got another PC oculus update today. It's Oculus app version 60.0.0.162.352 (60.0.0.162.352)

is everyone else on the same version? I have the smoothest DCS / VR performance I've ever had since owning the Q3 and I'm wondering if it's because of the last two updates? Anyone else seeing a difference?

For me, Airlink is now clearer, smoother and with less artifacts than virtual desktop when both at max settings. Airlink hand tracking (pointing) is working just as well as when cabled. I have ODBT set to 500mb/s and it's almost as smooth and clear as cabled link with same settings. I think airlink might pull bitrate back a bit regardless of ODBT setting as it's just not quite as good as cabled when reading the mfd's. Looks like things have been improved in the last updates

Edited by Dogmanbird

On 11/30/2023 at 6:17 AM, Dogmanbird said:

Fred's updated HTCC app is now working nicely with the q3 hand tracking (it's like a new and improved "point control" for folks who've never tried it).

Though I prefer the convenience of the leap motion's snappyness and stability, for being able to hold the hands still while rotating wrist and point at the buttons, the HTCC app and Q3 tracking now seems to be working really well (if you're happy to move your hands all around your cockpit area). Still a little laggy and still can't quite reach the switches behind me because i cant rotate the hand, but at least we don't need an extra device attached to the headset 👍

Fred - if you happen to read this this, would it be possible to reduce the filtering a little (as an option?) to reduce the latency? (if sample/averaging is what's creating the lag?)     please disregard - selecting the finger joint pose option has given me what I was hoping for 🙂 Thank you for making the recent improvements

Between Tuesday's oculus PC app update and the latest nvidia driver update, I seem to have gained a couple of FPS or at least some consistency

edit - got another PC oculus update today. It's Oculus app version 60.0.0.162.352 (60.0.0.162.352)

is everyone else on the same version? I have the smoothest DCS / VR performance I've ever had since owning the Q3 and I'm wondering if it's because of the last two updates? Anyone else seeing a difference?

For me, Airlink is now clearer, smoother and with less artifacts than virtual desktop when both at max settings. Airlink hand tracking (pointing) is working just as well as when cabled. I have ODBT set to 500mb/s and it's almost as smooth and clear as cabled link with same settings. I think airlink might pull bitrate back a bit regardless of ODBT setting as it's just not quite as good as cabled when reading the mfd's. Looks like things have been improved in the last updates

I turned on PTC and got the V60 update. It is a lot better now. I am using Link again with a Quest 3 and it looks great. One thing I couldn't do in VD was to change the FOV to increase the FPS. I also use OpenXR Toolkit to change the resolution. However, this causes me to crash when I turn on Turbo mode. I use OTT to disable ASW anyway. Running at 72 hz, 1.3x render resolution. It is looking good for me.

i can get turbo turned on if it's the very first thing i do when entering dcs, or, uninstall OTK / reinstall it and do the same in single thread. At least once its on, its on.  I need it for smooth multithread otherwise dcs still has regular stutters, regardless of how low i set my gfx settings

apparently the ability to store point cloud room scans in "the cloud" which would be great for the mixed reality games or if we move between sim setups.

the last couple of PC app updates gave modest performance improvements when using cable (and now airlink) not sure they were even documented

edit - just realised I can now go into passthrough and back into MT DCS (with turbo on) without it crashing.  maybe the displays can now sleep/wake successfully too? 

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 1

Something wrong with "CPU bound" while it shouldn't. Anyone experinced simiar issue and solved it? 

After upgraded to 2.9 stable, toggled those new features back and forth and the smoothness is impressive. 

But FPS seems locked to 36 when entering into any maps and kept same even I switched off those new features of DLAA or SSS etc, and set all CPU loaded setting to minimal. Checked DCS internal fps counter, showing CPU bound (main thread). It was always GPU bound with same rig in past 2 yrs. BIOS/drivers are latest. I must have messed up something with config. 

Don't wanna bother anyone before my own homework. Thought I saw someone encounted similar issue but I could find it out after a full day of search.

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11

does it look very smooth, but with some wobbly artefacts?

if so, could your headset be set to 72hz and ASW turned on? if not aware, with this setting it will be telling the game to cap fps at half the headsets fps/hz setting (therefore limited to 36fps) and synthesizing the missing frames to get it up to 72fps. If it's not always smooth, your PC might not be reaching a consistent 36 fps 

if you press cntrl + num pad 1, you might get all your PC capable fps back -  it turns off ASW and sets it to ATW which isn't fps limiting but needs the game to be outputting fps close to the headsets fps/Hz setting to work smoothly (if set to 72hz, it'll need about 60 fps or more i believe)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

does it look very smooth, but with some wobbly artefacts?

if so, could your headset be set to 72hz and ASW turned on? if not aware, with this setting it will be telling the game to cap fps at half the headsets fps/hz setting (therefore limited to 36fps) and synthesizing the missing frames to get it up to 72fps. If it's not always smooth, your PC might not be reaching a consistent 36 fps 

if you press cntrl + num pad 1, you might get all your PC capable fps back -  it turns off ASW and sets it to ATW which isn't fps limiting but needs the game to be outputting fps close to the headsets fps/Hz setting to work smoothly (if set to 72hz, it'll need about 60 fps or more i believe)

Thanks a lot. You are right. It's very smooth and just feel very strange to see it's CPU(7800x3D) bound instead of typical GPU.

Yes I could switch on or off with ASW as you instructed to see the real fps by changing different setting. 

Just wonder why 7800x3D is so easy to bound performance, given I don't have a 4090. 

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11

27 minutes ago, kerlcat said:

Thanks a lot. You are right. It's very smooth and just feel very strange to see it's CPU(7800x3D) bound instead of typical GPU.

Yes I could switch on or off with ASW as you instructed to see the real fps by changing different setting. 

Just wonder why 7800x3D is so easy to bound performance, given I don't have a 4090. 

If you see ASW on its always CPU bound because it's more specifically application bound by the ASW lock. If you are on full refresh rate and it locks there (72/80/90) then it's still locked and therefore CPU bound (sort of). Just don't worry about it, it not the CPU struggling as you think it is. I have 7800x3d and see this all the time. It's got to bind somewhere...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Just don't worry about it, it not the CPU struggling as you think it is. I have 7800x3d and see this all the time. It's got to bind somewhere...

Thank you for sharing. That eased my anxiety :-). Will focus on enjoy a bi instead of twitching all the time.

I am considering getting one of these since my index's cable is damaged and the cost of a new cable is about 1/4 of one of these so kind of silly expensive.  Is there much graphical artefacting?  I didn't notice any when using the Quest 2 (which I bought for someone else) but at the same time I haven't played a game with miniscule details like a flight sim on it.

I am looking through the rest of the thread to see if this has already been mentioned, but there's a lot of posts 😄

Also does anyone know if there's any kind of standalone router system so you do not clog up your internet router with the quest 3's wireless if you choose to go that way?

Also since it seems like the best way to use this is through open XR and the openXR toolkit, can you get preexisting lighthouse infrastructure like vive trackers working through openXR?  It's not something I have ever played with.

Edited by James DeSouza

On 11/4/2023 at 4:37 AM, BaD CrC said:

So this thing can scan its environment in 3D and activate/deactivate passthrough on parts of the screens (as you are entering the boundaries you set). Am I dreaming too much to imagine that you could define a fixed 3D area (a physical cockpit for example) where passthrough remains active while the rest of the display (like the DCS view) remains VR on the display and create an hybrid reality where you could physically interact with a real cockpit while looking at a virtual landscape? 

I have played with that in a sim displayed during last year at the NBAA in Orlando, and it was working well, but I guess with more expensive/pro type of gear. Now the Quest 3 seems to have everything it needs to do that?

Just in case no one has shown you this yet (I didn't notice anyone doing that) this product offers what you're asking for, though I don't know how widely compatible it is.  It works with steamVR at least.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1844610/Reality_Mixer__Mixed_Reality_for_VR_headsets/

It was specifically designed for people with racing cockpits from what I understand, but you can use it for anything (I use it to see my treadmill while watching things on a cinema screen which is very nice.)

Edited by James DeSouza

6 hours ago, kerlcat said:

Thank you for sharing. That eased my anxiety :-). Will focus on enjoy a bi instead of twitching all the time.

Have a look at the frametimes in openxr toolkit (advanced FPS) and you will see that the GPU frametime is still the highest. 

23 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Have a look at the frametimes in openxr toolkit (advanced FPS) and you will see that the GPU frametime is still the highest. 

Got it. So 7800x3D should be still decent till 5090 coming. Decided to skip 4090 anyway. Wish new engine upgrade to Vulcan could make 3090 alive again sometime next year. 

On 12/9/2023 at 11:30 AM, James DeSouza said:

I am considering getting one of these since my index's cable is damaged and the cost of a new cable is about 1/4 of one of these so kind of silly expensive.  Is there much graphical artefacting? 

Also does anyone know if there's any kind of standalone router system so you do not clog up your internet router with the quest 3's wireless if you choose to go that way?

if the oculus debug tool is set to at least 500Mb/s bitrate with in-game res or other method to override the resolution to around 2600 x 3300 or more, there are no obvious visible artefacts from my experience. 

i'm using a TPLink AXE75 6E tri-band wireless router when playing games like half life alyx and pavlov which look great and are perfectly smooth at 6ghz (maintains about 2400mb/s 3metres from headset) . It's working perfectly with virtual desktop and airlink. Reading through the forums, so far it seems to be the most "tried and tested" reliable router that has no issues with 6gig wireless with the Q3. This router is not a modem (just an access point) and I plug it into one of my household modem's LAN ports and the gaming PC lan port. I turn off the AXE75's dhcp server and let the household modem hand out the ip addresses (passing thorough the AXE75 to the Q3) 

I use cabled link with DCS and MSFS as it's just a little less stuttery at the same gfx settings in demanding scenery and a tiny bit sharper

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 5:36 AM, Khangirey said:

Anyone upgraded from a Reverb G2?

So far, I'm on the fence of being dissapointed with my Q3.

For the G2, I was used to very clear settings with a 1.0 resolution setting in Open XR Tools, and a 1.2 PD in DCS. This gave me very clear vision.

Specifically, I chose to compare the text and quality of the gunsight panel on the Mig 21 (if you try this look at the range striations as well as the text of the red panels)

To get even close to similar clarity (still worse imo), I had to force a 1.4-1.5 pixel density in the ODT, and combine that with a 1.3 DCS PD. Anyone had similar requirements to get clarity?

Using the Q3 with a link cable, maxing out at 700mbps on H264 (265 has about a 2-3 second delay for me, and completely freaks out at above 200 mbps)

Other things I noticed that people could check, is if you use the SRS radio, when you first launch the game the overlay in the left of the screen (red text) will be ultra blurry on the Q3, but on the G2 it is as crisp as all of the other text. (no clue why it does this)

On the G2, I played with DLSS and got no visible bluriness, everything was still very crisp. Tried both DLAA and DLSS on Q3, similar results - both pretty blurry. 

Specs:

12600k (overclocked to 5 ghz)

3090 (overclocked +200 +800)

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Quest3 from a G2, did you manage to resolve the issues?

"For DCS, the Q3 is better than G2"

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

@winghunter

caveats;

i find the headset feels heavier than the g2, even with it's short front profile

need to use what ever method you desire, to increase game output resolution to achieve similar sharpness/clarity to g2

lots of fiddling with the likes of oculus debug tool etc. to get the best of it

likely to need to use ASW for perfectly smooth gameplay on most maps and multiplayer

need to find a way to keep it charged during long gaming sessions (it seems all cabled methods are a bit fiddly) unless you're lucky enough to have a motherboard that has 9v 2A usb C

need to turn off headset overlay pop-ups as they cause a brief stutter as they appear (low battery warning, low light warning with hand tracking etc)

need to use methods to keep the headset awake when removed from head (otherwise DCS may crash under certain conditions)

various link methods still don't attain the full clarity potential of the display panels and it gets to about 90%-95% of the g2 centre clarity

if you can live with the above, for visuals it's an improvement overall

I appreciate people with lower specced PC's find it useful, but I'm not at all fazed that it lacks eye tracking. On the quest pro, by the time I gain the fps performance / clarity I like, when using dynamic fov rendering, the peripherals are a shimmery mess. I'd prefer clear peripheral vision with detail, as I'm using hand tracking throughout the cockpit and often not looking directly at the switch I'm operating.....plus it makes it easier to glance back over the shoulders to check on the door gunners in the huey 😄  

Edited by Dogmanbird