WarBRD-D base clacking

Mik75

Hi there! 

After a month of waiting, I received my Virpil WarBRD-D base 2 days ago. I'll get a Constellation Alpha Prime Grip as well, but for the last two days, I've been using it with my Warthog stick. I'm using it with the stock setup, and it's really ridiculously smooth. Flying a helicopter is a lot more precise with this setup, and the Mirage F1 is also a lot more controllable during these bombing dives. 

But, while doing certain motions (like a half circle of movement on the "aileron" axis, while the "elevator" axis is half way deployed) I get a reproducible "clack" out of the mechanism which can be heard and felt very clearly. I already opened up the housing, and there is no obvious issue with the mechanism. (it looks beautiful though 😉). This is not a deal breaker in any way as it only happens occasionally, but I've never read something like this about a Virpil base. 

Edited by Mik75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

Hello.
I don't experience that kind of issue with my older WarBRD base so can't say what might cause that or suggest anything about fixing the sound myself but if the issue will bother you too much you can contact virpil customer support. They are said to be very helpful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ironhard said:

I have the earlier version, the Warbrd base and I can confirm that it does "clack" at some specific stick motions, although I have learnt to ignore it.

Ok, good to know. So it might be a result of the design. And as I said, it's nothing that bothers me too much. Overall, the action is extremely smooth! 😀

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

@Mik75

Are you sure the sound comes from inside the base? Could that be the grip? I think its worth checking if all of the screws in the bottom side of the grip are tightened. I read somewhere on reddit that if you loosen those bottom screws the "knock" sound might appear when you move stick to sides.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qsenox said:

@Mik75

Are you sure the sound comes from inside the base? Could that be the grip? I think its worth checking if all of the screws in the bottom side of the grip are tightened. I read somewhere on reddit that if you loosen those bottom screws the "knock" sound might appear when you move stick to sides.

I'll definitely check that. The Alpha Prime stick should arrive anytime soon as well, so I'll definitely know if it's caused by the stick or the base itself. Thanks for your input. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

So I got my Constellation Alpha Prime stick yesterday, and with it attached, the clacking is completely gone. So I can confirm, that these clacking sounds must be related to the Warthog grip. 

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

On 6/3/2023 at 1:10 PM, Mik75 said:

So I got my Constellation Alpha Prime stick yesterday, and with it attached, the clacking is completely gone. So I can confirm, that these clacking sounds must be related to the Warthog grip. 

I can confirm that I also use a TM stick there, but it's the official F-16 stick, which is very similar to the warthog stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironhard said:

I can confirm that I also use a TM stick there, but it's the official F-16 stick, which is very similar to the warthog stick.

Ok. But for me personally, it feels sooooo much nicer with the Constellation Alpha Prime, that I'll probably sell the Warthog stick. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...