Turret, connectors - need help

Hi,

Are there any rules for orienting connectors for turrets and muzzles, as well as rules for the direction of rotation animation, number of frames, and so on? My turret is behaving incorrectly - looking the other way, not firing. Yes, this is the first turret I made, I would like to receive instructions or a sample (for a blender).

14 minutes ago, razo+r said:

The best examples are the models that are already in the game. Start the modelviewer, load a tank/vehicle of your choice and go through the arguments. 

Yes, I have already took almost all from existing models via Modelviewer, but now need just a Readme related to turrets. 

For example, I found an "AREA" string in code related to another's mod turrent and now just do not know what it is because my model isn't divided into any "areas"

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 7:46 AM, tripod3 said:

Magic, as soon as I ask something on the forum, the problem is solved by itself. But it's more like experimenting and guessing, I think if I read the manuals, progress would be faster and easier😀

So, you didn't do anything?  I'm having the same issues and fixing itself isn't exactly happening, lol.  My turret is facing the wrong way in isometric view but in first person is facing the right way which is seemingly causing it to move on its own, spin around, not elevate right etc.

24 minutes ago, remus77 said:

So, you didn't do anything?  I'm having the same issues and fixing itself isn't exactly happening, lol.  My turret is facing the wrong way in isometric view but in first person is facing the right way which is seemingly causing it to move on its own, spin around, not elevate right etc.

Hi,

I tried lots of variants placing "gun_point" and "gun_center" connectors in different orientation.

And finally it works fine for ship. I can only share two parameters from blender regarding these connectors and lua config of the turret.

ws = GT_t.inc_ws();
GT.WS[ws] = {}
set_recursive_metatable(GT.WS[ws], GT_t.WS_t.phalanx )
GT.WS[ws].area = 'Hull'
GT.WS[ws].center = 'GUN_CENTER'
GT.WS[ws].drawArgument1 = 19
GT.WS[ws].drawArgument2 = 20
GT.WS[ws].angles[1][1] = math.rad(150);
GT.WS[ws].angles[1][2] = math.rad(-150);
GT.WS[ws].reference_angle_Y = math.rad(-7.5) -- should be 0.0 but my turred placed a bit wrong
GT.WS[ws].LN[1].fireAnimationArgument = 119;
GT.WS[ws].LN[1].BR[1].connector_name = 'GUN_POINT'

image.png

image.png

Edited by tripod3

4 minutes ago, tripod3 said:

Hi,

I tried lots of variants placing "gun" and "center" connectors in different orientation.

And finally it works fine for ship. I can only share two parameters from blender regarding these connectors and lua config of the turret.

ws = GT_t.inc_ws();
GT.WS[ws] = {}
set_recursive_metatable(GT.WS[ws], GT_t.WS_t.phalanx )
GT.WS[ws].area = 'Hull'
GT.WS[ws].center = 'GUN_CENTER'
GT.WS[ws].drawArgument1 = 19
GT.WS[ws].drawArgument2 = 20
GT.WS[ws].angles[1][1] = math.rad(150);
GT.WS[ws].angles[1][2] = math.rad(-150);
GT.WS[ws].reference_angle_Y = math.rad(-7.5) -- should be 0.0 but my turred placed a bit wrong
GT.WS[ws].LN[1].fireAnimationArgument = 119;
GT.WS[ws].LN[1].BR[1].connector_name = 'GUN_POINT'

null null 

What is the reference_angle_Y actually saying?

By the way, I've posted on multiple things and you are the only one that's helped.  Can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

I'm using 3ds Max but I think I can glean some info that translates.  I'm going to do what you said and start spinning my points and seeing what happens.  My points align with other ground vehicles ive looked at on the modelviewer which is why I didnt think to swivel them, but nothing's worked as of yet.  I have a reference_angle_Z on my lua as well.  Here's what I have so far.

local ws = GT_t.inc_ws();
GT.WS[ws] = {};
GT.WS[ws].center = 'CENTER_TOWER';
GT.WS[ws].angles = {    
                    {math.rad(180), math.rad(-180), math.rad(-2.5), math.rad(65)},                                    
                    };
GT.WS[ws].drawArgument1 = 0;
GT.WS[ws].drawArgument2 = 1;
GT.WS[ws].mount_before_move = true;
GT.WS[ws].omegaY = math.rad(18);
GT.WS[ws].omegaZ = math.rad(14);
GT.WS[ws].reference_angle_Y = math.rad(0);
GT.WS[ws].reference_angle_Z = math.rad(0.8);
GT.WS[ws].pidY = {p=30, i=0.0, d=8, inn=2};
GT.WS[ws].pidZ = {p=30, i=0.0, d=8, inn=2};
GT.WS[ws].isoviewOffset = {0.0, -3.5, 0.0};
GT.WS[ws].stabilizer = false;
GT.WS[ws].laser = true;
GT.WS[ws].pointer = 'POINT_SIGHT_01';
GT.WS[ws].cockpit = {'genericHowitzer', {0.1, 0.0, 0.0 }}

Okay.  I realized my screwup.  My argument keyframes for traverse left and right were switched.  I got the traverse sorted.  Now my only issue is the vertical.  I am using the generic howitzer site, you know, w/ the range #'s on the right and although my elevation kind of works, the #'s dont elevate to the different meter ranges on the right.. The barrel also goes up past  the limits I set here:

GT.WS[ws].angles = {    
                    {math.rad(20), math.rad(-20), math.rad(-2.5), math.rad(65)},                                    
                    };

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 4:20 PM, remus77 said:

Any ideas?

are you animating the elevation from -100 keyframe (gun pointed straight down) to +100 keyframe (gun pointed straight up)? 

If you don't have the animation matching the expected angles, then it won't sync

On 7/6/2023 at 3:52 AM, prccowboy said:

are you animating the elevation from -100 keyframe (gun pointed straight down) to +100 keyframe (gun pointed straight up)? 

If you don't have the animation matching the expected angles, then it won't sync

I did yes.  Currenthill got me sorted out.  It seemed I needed an aiming table that wasnt obvious from the examples I was looking at.