Tobi Eye Tracker or Track IR?

As a title, who was able to try both? What's the best and why?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

I had flown with a TRACK IR for many years.  I upgrade to TOBII Eye Tracker  last year and haven't use the TRACK IR since.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

How is sensitivity and precision? By reading other forums on the internet, all at the end recommend TIR because it is more sensitive, stable and accurate in the movement, moreover in the dogfight is recommended the TIR. What do you think?

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

I used TrackIR, then bought and tested the Tobii and returned back to the TrackIR.

Things that bothered me were: I didn‘t like the software, it felt way more intrusive and overhead heavy than TrackIR. I couldn’t find curves/settings that give a similar experience to TrackIR in precision and latency. Tobii felt always laggy to me and gave me severe nausea in the beginning.

I would love to get rid of the necessity to wear anything on my head - so I will probably give Tobii another try at some point. Maybe the software has improved or I will find better settings.

Apart from the Headpiece, TrackIR works perfectly for me though. Even though I use the passive Head clip. I have no issues whatsoever since I found my curves and position for the camera.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

After close to 10 years of using TIR5, I was excited to try Tobii. After about a month of trying it out, I could never get it to the same level of smoothness/sensitivity that I had with TIR5. I tried with and without eye tracking. In the end I sold it on ebay and went back to TIR5. Now I'm almost exclusively VR.

To me, the only downside to TIR5 is the janky LED pro clip they sell. 

• Like 2

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, EightyDuce said:

To me, the only downside to TIR5 is the janky LED pro clip they sell. 

Which - as far as I can tell - is only ever neccessary (if at all) in difficult lighting conditions. Other than that the passive clip works perfectly. (You still need to put it on your head though.....)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 hours ago, Hiob said:

Which - as far as I can tell - is only ever neccessary (if at all) in difficult lighting conditions. Other than that the passive clip works perfectly. (You still need to put it on your head though.....)

Yeah, I'm not really a hat guy. So it's either the clip or the hat... Neither is perfect. That being said, can't argue with results. 

If Tobii tracking was 1:1 to TIR5, it would have been a slam dunk. Maybe with Tobii 6? 

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

A visor cap also works for TrackIR if a hat seems like too much. I don’t notice it on especially with headphones as well. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased Tobi ET5 and it seems as good as or better than trackir, for me. I love not having to wear the clip, I usually turn off eye tracking and the head tracking seems to work great.

But I do have one issue that I can't resolve. Just wondering if you're having any issues with Toby tracker using any of the HMCS in any of the supported airframes. I've been flying the A10 C2 and when using the HMCS and the head tracking doesn't seem to line up with my HMCS cursor. I'm having the strain my head to get the targeting cursor on what I'm wanting to mark.

Thoughts?

Edited by Fly2low

Used both gadgets, TrackIR hands down. Tobii Eyetracker 5 is also good but they have not yet eliminated the eye tracking issue where even if you set it as "0" or disabled, you will have some "eye tracking" movement. Head tracking is very good but, depending on the set-up in the software, will still have some lag. Plus, it no longer supports the other flight sim (3 digit - WW2) I play.

I did not have that "lag" problem with TRACKIR and it supports all the flight sims i play including the 3 digit -WW2 i mentioned. 

Edited by StarVenger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge ACMSI RTX4090 Gaming X Trio 24G OCIntel I9-9900K32GB DDR4 Kingston Hyper X + Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate + Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WinWing Orion 2 F-16EX Viper Joystick + WinWing Orion 2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle with Finger Lifts + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Pico 4 + HP Reverb G2 + Track IR5 Tobii Eye Tracker 5 + LG 34GN850-B Monitor