F-18 Nose wheel steering not working after landing

corb

Am I landing too hard? But 50% of the time I can not activate Nose Wheel steering after landing on the carrier. Bug or has the nose wheel on the Hornet become very delicate the past 2 months...?

Edited by corb

• corb changed the title to F-18 Nose wheel steering not working after landing
1 hour ago, corb said:

Am I landing too hard? But 50% of the time I can not activate Nose Wheel steering after landing on the carrier. Bug or has the nose wheel on the Hornet become very delicate the past 2 months...?

You'll be breaking the main gear before the nose wheel unless you're landing nose first, which would be obvious as an answer to why the NWS wouldn't work.

Unlock your wings (unstow wing folding handle at any position) to keep high gain nose wheel steering if that's what you're after.

If nose wheel steering doesn't appear on the HUD with weight on wheels after recovery, check your bindings. Perhaps you're hitting the NWS disable command instead. Hard to tell with scarce information.

3 hours ago, Czar66 said:

You'll be breaking the main gear before the nose wheel unless you're landing nose first, which would be obvious as an answer to why the NWS wouldn't work.

Unlock your wings (unstow wing folding handle at any position) to keep high gain nose wheel steering if that's what you're after.

If nose wheel steering doesn't appear on the HUD with weight on wheels after recovery, check your bindings. Perhaps you're hitting the NWS disable command instead. Hard to tell with scarce information.

Not sure exactly when it happens, but I never land nose wheel first. I think it mostly happens after a hard landing. The NSW wont appear on the HUD. Not NSW HI either when holding the button in. Wings folded or not should not have anything to do about it? 

It always works if I shut down and do a repair, but I would be blocking the Landing area for 5 min haha. 

4 hours ago, razo+r said:

Did you overspeed your gear at any time?

Can you reproduce it?

Can you upload a short track showcasing your issue?

Ill do that next time it happens. 

I get the same. Launch bar is not down. On speed landings. Nose gear steering not operational. Have to shut engines down for repair. I flew several patterns tonight and it happened on every landing. Marianas free flight. I've done this flight dozens of times in the past without issue, but recently the nose gear steering fails on every carrier landing. I get the feeling something changed in one of the recent updates... 

See if you can reproduce it in sp and if yes, attach a short track. 

2 hours ago, RogerRamjet said:

I get the same. Launch bar is not down. On speed landings. Nose gear steering not operational. Have to shut engines down for repair. I flew several patterns tonight and it happened on every landing. Marianas free flight. I've done this flight dozens of times in the past without issue, but recently the nose gear steering fails on every carrier landing. I get the feeling something changed in one of the recent updates... 

10 hours ago, draconus said:

Are you guys over 34,000lbs GW limit at the trap?

Nope, dropped all my stores that time, nose gear steering broken...

Edit: Ok, 2nd attempt was successful. You probably called it on weight, thanks!

Edited by RogerRamjet

16 hours ago, razo+r said:

See if you can reproduce it in sp and if yes, attach a short track. 

Ok. It just happened again, 8000 fuel left, 4 A_A missiles. On speed, good AOA and still NS broken after landing. I also noted that I lost green lit nosewheel on the 3 green panel for landing gear. 

I have no idea how to shorten a track, but I bolter 2 times before making the trap at the very end of the track. 

I also tried pressing the NSW steering button righter after stop, and I briefly saw the NSW Hi symbol for a second on the HUD. 

gulfWar_TPE_v1_RUN2-20230621-222425.trk

Edited by corb

15 minutes ago, corb said:

Ok. It just happened again, 8000 fuel left, 4 A_A missiles. On speed, good AOA and still NS broken after landing. I also noted that I lost green lit nosewheel on the 3 green panel for landing gear. 

I have no idea how to shorten a track, but I bolter 2 times before making the trap at the very end of the track. 

I also tried pressing the NSW steering button righter after stop, and I briefly saw the NSW Hi symbol for a second on the HUD. 

gulfWar_TPE_v1_RUN2-20230621-222425.trk 46.44 MB · 0 downloads

If the green light extinguishes, that means you broke it. 

You cannot shorten tracks, which is why you should try to reproduce it in singleplayer where you can set your aircraft up on final. 

Remember, tracks can become inaccurate. And if the bug only appears at the end, someone has to sit through the whole flight just for that one brief moment. Nobody will watch you fly 45 mins or so.