Install on Different Drive

williehayesjr

Unfortunately, my drive c:, where DCS reside, is almost full (92GB remaining). This drive is a 1T ssd drive and I have two: 1TB on each, Drive C and Drive D. Is it possible to download the F-15E to my d: drive which has 480GB left? It seems as though the option for using another drive for installation does not exist. Has anybody found a way to change the F-15E installation to another drive? I have been moving <profanity> from drive C for years, just to make room for additional addons from MSFS and DCS.

Edited by williehayesjr

Yes, you can do so with what is called a "junction" in Windows. Quite a few players use junctions to put the DCS download folder onto another drive, when updates fail because of too little free space for download. I see no reason that shouldn't also work with modules.

For reference, the default Strike Eagle installation path is:

C:\Program Files\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-15E

You'll find lots of examples for junctions all over the web, or here on the forum; good search terms should be something like "DCS windows junction download" or so.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 2

I've always installed DCS in it's own drive (in my case F:) without any issues.  It's on 1TB SSD as well and both DCS and "the sim that shall not be named" reside comfortably in it with lots of space.  I've not had to use a junction.

I'm going to look it up, learn something perhaps. 😀

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

20 hours ago, williehayesjr said:

Unfortunately, my drive c:, where DCS reside, is almost full (92GB remaining). This drive is a 1T ssd drive and I have two: 1TB on each, Drive C and Drive D. Is it possible to download the F-15E to my d: drive which has 480GB left? It seems as though the option for using another drive for installation does not exist. Has anybody found a way to change the F-15E installation to another drive? I have been moving <profanity> from drive C for years, just to make room for additional addons from MSFS and DCS.

I personally freed up space by moving all my terrain to a different drive and used MKLINK command to point to the new directory for the terrain Works great. You could also reinstall it on the new drive you want it on, it takes a little longer but is cleaner.