AIM-120 Erratic control response

Default774

The AIM-120 exhibits very erratic control response when guiding onto targets that make sudden maneuvers. This behavior can be shown best by using a NASAMS site and firing JSOWs at it. The JSOWs make a small maneuver a few miles from the target provided they have enough energy. In response to this maneuver, the missiles proceed to massively overcorrect and oscillate, sometimes causing the missile to miss.

image.gif

120_err.trk 120_err.acmi

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, Default774 said:

The AIM-120 exhibits very erratic control response when guiding onto targets that make sudden maneuvers. This behavior can be shown best by using a NASAMS site and firing JSOWs at it. The JSOWs make a small maneuver a few miles from the target provided they have enough energy. In response to this maneuver, the missiles proceed to massively overcorrect and oscillate, sometimes causing the missile to miss.

I had this happen numerous times. Mainly in air to air engagements. Here is a small tacview between myself in an F16 and an F15 (Zipper 1-1). Missile is guided to pitbull and then decides it no longer wants to track and oscillates.

Tacview-20230708-101355aim120-DCS.zip.acmi

1 hour ago, SchumiF399 said:

I had this happen numerous times. Mainly in air to air engagements. Here is a small tacview between myself in an F16 and an F15 (Zipper 1-1). Missile is guided to pitbull and then decides it no longer wants to track and oscillates.

Missile was outside of gimbal limits so it was essentially flying dumb on INS. It was barely defeated by kinetics.

null

image.png

Edited by okopanja