AAR & Flight system queries

markturner1960

Hi, firstly, is there a procedure for AAR refueling please? I looked in the manual and while I did not do a page by page scan, I looked through the index and there did not appear to be anything covering this....

Secondly, what sort of flight control system would best describe what the Streagle has? Similar to the F18 , in that it has a FLCS and hydraulically isolated stick, IE fly by wire essentially? Asking so I can decide which most suitable profile to use for my FFB stick. My feeling is the F18 one, but would appreciate some input from those who know better than me! 

Thank you! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

4 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi, firstly, is there a procedure for AAR refueling please? I looked in the manual and while I did not do a page by page scan, I looked through the index and there did not appear to be anything covering this....

This is a checklist for the F-16, from a different Sim. So it's not to be taken 1:1 but can give you a good idea what to do.

image.png

4 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Secondly, what sort of flight control system would best describe what the Streagle has? Similar to the F18 , in that it has a FLCS and hydraulically isolated stick, IE fly by wire essentially? Asking so I can decide which most suitable profile to use for my FFB stick. My feeling is the F18 one, but would appreciate some input from those who know better than me! 

Thank you! 

Not sure if the following link also applies to the F-15E, but maybe it also gives you a general idea about it

https://www.f15sim.com/operation/f15_flight_control_system.htm

Thanks for the quick reply! I was hoping for something Razbam DCS F15 specific, rather than generalised procedural stuff......for example in the Mirage F1, the radios need to be set in a certain way, its not enough for the preset to simply match the tankers, then there is a special transfer switch that needs to be on etc.....

In the Viper, obviously there is a switch for the refueling probe door / cover to open , is there a similar thing in the Eagle? Etc etc.

Thanks agin though! 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

57 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Thanks for the quick reply! I was hoping for something Razbam DCS F15 specific, rather than generalised procedural stuff......for example in the Mirage F1, the radios need to be set in a certain way, its not enough for the preset to simply match the tankers, then there is a special transfer switch that needs to be on etc.....

In the Viper, obviously there is a switch for the refueling probe door / cover to open , is there a similar thing in the Eagle? Etc etc.

Thanks agin though! 

Yes there's a 3 way switch (close/open/override) on the fuel control panel. It's called something like 'slipway switch' in the manual.

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

F15 Manual Page 39 just an overview on the left console, it's in the Fuel Control panel, on page 41 it's the emergency door opening switch, on page 44 as @bfr pointed out there is your switch described (7):

7. Slipway switch. Controls the slipway door during air to air refueling. It has three
positions: CLOSE (slipway doors are closed), OPEN (slipway doors are open) and
ORIDE (override, which allows boom locking and forces the receiver to initiate all
disconnects).

On page 48-49 the AR ready light

Control bindings available are:

Air-To-Air Door Slipway: CLOSE/OPEN Toggle

Air-To-Air Door Slipway: CLOSE/OPEN/ORRIDE

Air-To-Air Door Slipway: OPEN

Air-To-Air Door Slipway: OPEN else CLOSE

Air-To-Air Door Slipway: ORRIDE/OPEN/CLOSE

Air-To-Air Door Slipway: OVERRIDE

What are the reference point on the KC135 ? I only used probe for A10C and it was a while a go. I've seen the light system underneeth the plane, but hum, it's too simple for me i guess, it dosent work well. Any visual reference of the tanker itselt ? IE -> wing at cockpit upper bar level, or whatever ?

Some notes about the AAR system.

1: You should never need ORIDE, its only used in certain failure states IRL.

2. When the Slipway is open your external fuel tanks will depressurize (until the FUEL LOW caution comes on) and it will shut off the tank 1 and CFT transfer pumps (regardless of FUEL LOW caution). What this means is if you leave the slipway open your external tanks (and any gas in them) will be unusable, and your tank 1 gas will only gravity feed (very slowly). CFT gas will also be unusable since they do not transfer without the transfer pumps on.

Forgetting to close your slipway after refueling can leave your aircraft with only 13,500 lbs of usable gas even though your totalizer is showing 30,000 or more. Once you burn through all the internal gas to the FUEL LOW caution (1000 lbs left in the left feed tank or 600 lbs left in the right feed tank), you will then get the external tanks (4100 lbs each), but the CFTs (4900 lbs each) will never feed until you close the slipway.

• Thanks 1

vor 39 Minuten schrieb hotrod525:

What are the reference point on the KC135 ? I only used probe for A10C and it was a while a go. I've seen the light system underneeth the plane, but hum, it's too simple for me i guess, it dosent work well. Any visual reference of the tanker itselt ? IE -> wing at cockpit upper bar level, or whatever ?

Perfect, thanks all.........and radios is simply just set the channel to the frequency and thats it? 

So I found a great video by Casmo on YouTube which covers radios and re feeling, if anyone’s wants to know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcluPB6MS2E&t=219s&ab_channel=CasmoTV

Regarding the flight dynamics, I notice that you have to trim the jet to speed………which was surprising if it has a FLCS system similar to the Viper and Hornet……. ?

Edited by markturner1960

21 hours ago, razo+r said:

And also make sure you go to the right tanker. Currently only the KC-135. The KC-135MPRS will not work. 

Yeah, why is that, seems a really stupid thing and surely easily fixed? Been like that with the Viper forever........

22 hours ago, razo+r said:

And also make sure you go to the right tanker. Currently only the KC-135. The KC-135MPRS will not work. 

Yeah, I fell foul of that when I changed the user aircraft in a F18 AAR mission I had set up and then was confused why the tanker ignored me on the radio.  Would be nice if they actually gave you a 'not today' reply rather than blanking you.

Edited by bfr

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

So I found a great video by Casmo on YouTube which covers radios and re feeling, if anyone’s wants to know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcluPB6MS2E&t=219s&ab_channel=CasmoTV

Regarding the flight dynamics, I notice that you have to trim the jet to speed………which was surprising if it has a FLCS system similar to the Viper and Hornet……. ?

It doesn't have a FLCS system similar to the Viper or Hornet though. It has a Control Augmentation System which is superimposed onto the hydro-mechanical flight control system. It's more like the SAS in the F-14, than anything in the Viper or Hornet which are fully FBW.

• Like 1

Ah, OK, thanks. I read the linked article ( although parts of it I was struggling to undertstand properly...) and understood that the PTC system kept the stick centred:

Remember, the Eagle flys at essentially a constant stick position for a given g.  If that stick position changes and the aircraft is not responding with the correct g schedule at 5.25lb/g, the PTC will move the stabilator in the direction to maintain the g schedule.  This is also true at 1 g and at any disturbance from 1 g which the pilot begins to compensate for will automatically be trimmed to maintain 1 g.  Since it is a "series" trim, the stick won't move perceptibly, the but the stabilator will.  It will continue to move to the limits of the PTC authority so long as the error signal between the stick position and the aircraft g schedule exists. 

So I was wondering why you need to trim for speed in the sim? Or am I misunderstanding the above, which seems to be saying the jet system trim the jet and the stick does not move, which is in effect the same as the Hornet (less so for the Viper, as the stick is fixed anyway) 

Cheers