Disabling engine auto start in multiplayer

Foka

36 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Not for aircraft start-up. If you are under alert conditions (which usually precedes an actual conflict), you have aircraft on stand-by (started up when on really high alert) or on patrol. Start-ups are never rushed, and - as the Gulf war showed - as much as 50% of the combat-ready aircraft fail the start-up readiness check. You really don't want to rush that. 

Of course there are scenarios that we can dream up where you'll have to start up an aircraft as quickly as possible (like Clint Eastwood in Firefox where he attempts to steal the plane). Those will be the exception rather than the rule. Modern fighter combat deployments are usually planned days in advance. No need to rush the start-up.

Nevertheless the guy the the video is pretty fast. And this is a game after all, so my fantasy pilot is Clint Eastwood. In DCS you can do a better faster start manually compared to the cheat keys. 

The topic is rather moot in any case. A simple key press script would bypass the setting and automate your startup regardless. So making this a game setting doesn’t really work. I agree with the idea though. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

16 minutes ago, Bartek16194 said:

With all the crap that dcs allows this autostart really seems like a minimum of worry, after all there are already programs that allow external autostart https://github.com/SlipHavoc/DCSAutoMate

It’s funny how people go out of their way to be computer programmers instead of pilots 😆

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 6/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, Weta43 said:

secret and classified are not the same thing.

There are flight manuals all over the internet for all kinds of aircraft, and you can compile an accurate startup check list from one of those.

While they are no longer "secret" many are still classified, and as a Russian owned company E.D. has to be particularly careful about avoiding classified data. I'm petty sure a couple of years ago an E.D. employee was detained and questioned for being in possession of a manual that was freely available on the internet.

Unless something is classified 'secret'.  You might even have a 'secret' security clearance.  If it's classified 'confidential' or worse, 'confidential - noforn' things  also get sticky, especially here with all those 'forns' around.  Then there's 'top secret'.  Anything above that and the name of the classification is itself classified, and might be 'confidential' or 'secret' or 'top secret', or even the classification of the name can be classified.

You guys mix up 'classified' and 'secret' like they're the same thing.  I really, really, really wish I'd kept my collection of stamps, because half the page was the classification (top and bottom) and that didn't leave much room for notes!

Then there's ITAR and export controls, which has nothing to do with classification and everything to do with export, and the instant you put something on the internet, like this forum, you've just 'exported' it.  Whether it's classified or a state secret doesn't matter at that point, if it's listed under ITAR (if you pack a pair of binoculars in your suitcase on vacation you might find yourself on the wrong side of ITAR.  If it's a rifle scope, even if the rifle isn't attached, it's almost certain) you and the administrators of this forum may find yourselves on the wrong end of a little chat.  There's a lot more than ITAR, by the way.  Unless you know what an HTS code is it's better to just avoid the topic.

Rule 1.16 is there for valid legal reasons, and has the potential to keep a lot of people out of trouble.  In the mean time, if Wags put it in a video, or ED on a kneeboard, it's probably not classified.  You can download NATOPS manuals, and according to Tom Cruise the enemy has already read them, but I wouldn't post one here; even if they're not classified they might be listed in the depths of ITAR or have the wrong HTS code.

Stick to whether or not people who hot-start are villainous scum.  Personally, I can't remember that many cold-start procedures.

<edit>

Removed an extraneous word or two.  I have also been informed by someone who knows that any document with military aircraft performance data is, by definition, ITAR controlled and requires a license for export

</edit>

Edited by Raisuli

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s funny how people go out of their way to be computer programmers instead of pilots 😆

I would be surprised if most of the actual pilots playing DCS don't use auto-start most of the time. Speaking for myself, I use it exclusively, if available.

4 hours ago, Cab said:

I would be surprised if most of the actual pilots playing DCS don't use auto-start most of the time

I really don't know. I, too, would guess that a sizable portion of players who are licensed pilots do use auto-start when having to start a cold plane.

If it's anecdotal evidence you are looking for, I prefer hot start, and use auto-start most of the time when entering a cold plane. When I want a cold one, I go the fridge. I like DCS for flying, not ground-based busy-work. Of course, that's a personal preference. The great thing about DCS that we have the option should we want to manually start up.

• Like 2