RTX 4090 variations?

Im about to pull the plug on a 4090 card, there are so many variations out there.

My question is, are there models I should avoid??

Regards

Nimbus

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

Unless you're looking for something like a Strix or the Liquid Suprim from MSI, all 4090s perform virtually the same. Some will have higher power limits, but the gains aren't really worth the power/heat increase. 

Buy the one with the best warranty unless you're taking the cooler off to put a waterblock on it. 

• Like 1

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 5:20 PM, Marshallman said:

Im about to pull the plug on a 4090 card, there are so many variations out there.

My question is, are there models I should avoid??

Regards

Nimbus

I have bad experience with MSI 4090, Poor cooling system, price is high but performance is not good, power consumption these types of problem so I thing to tell my bad experience with you peoples.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have a Gigabyte Aorus Master in my rig. Runs extremely well.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I would avoid Models that are known for Coil Whine. Just because this is REALLY annyoing. I've hat a whining ASUS TUF at first (last year as they came out, don't know if the recent models still have coil whine) and I had to return it just because I couldn't stand the noise.

Everything else would be a matter of personal likings (Fan Noise, Design, Price and so on)

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

I am Running an MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio. I cannot say enough positive things about it. The card runs great with no coil whine whatsoever! As far as the stock cooling goes My card never hit above 65 degrees C. and that was with every slider maxed out. I did however just throw a water block on it since I love water cooling. But it was totally not needed! Good Luck!!

I‘d watch repair videos and listen to the guys who look at them blank and naked. Iirc more than a few cut corners on amount of phases and quality of components. Think he ( Chris Fix or NW repair ) said MSI did best for 4090.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You need to know what you want to do with your 4090. Do you want to overclock, look at the technical best cards (afaik Asus and MSI). Do you want to watercool the card with an open loop? An Inno3d with Watercooling block would be a good choice or maybe a Zotac, as they won't void the warranty if you swap the cooler (only if you don't damage it while you swap the cooler). But then again the Zotac Aircoolers are said to have a annoying noise/rattle.

If you want a card that has the least chance of couil whine, you might want to avoid Asus and MSI...

I use a Gigabyte Gaming OC as this card has almost no coil whine. Only at way over 300 fps. But the Aircooler has quite high rpm and isn't what I would call silent. And the Service of Gigabyte is quite horrible if you ever need it (but that might not only be a Gigabyte thing).

It isn't easy to say get this or that card. It all comes down to your likings / preferences.

Edited by FR4GGL3
  • Thanks 1

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

Hi,

the only thing that distinguishes the RTX 4090 today is the unpleasant noise level of the Coil whine.

An example of how big the difference is between manufacturers.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.