How do you get the Grid coordinates of the JTAC without looking a the map?

RTS354
Go to solution Solved by shagrat,

I have had several issues where the JTAC is in a different grid zone designator square, than I am in. I have no clue other than the radio frequency of the JTAC. So when I call the JTAC,, he gives me the 100,000-meter square identifier and the numerical location, but not the grid zone designator. How do you determine the grid zone designator square of the JTAC without knowing his location on the map?

I'm using the terminology of the MGR coordinates as such:

An example of an MGRS coordinate, or grid reference, would be 4QFJ12345678, which consists of three parts:

4Q (grid zone designator, GZD)

FJ (the 100,000-meter square identifier)

1234 5678 (numerical location; easting is 1234 and northing is 5678, in this case specifying a location with 10 m resolution)

• Solution
vor 3 Stunden schrieb RTS354:

I have had several issues where the JTAC is in a different grid zone designator square, than I am in. I have no clue other than the radio frequency of the JTAC. So when I call the JTAC,, he gives me the 100,000-meter square identifier and the numerical location, but not the grid zone designator. How do you determine the grid zone designator square of the JTAC without knowing his location on the map?

I'm using the terminology of the MGR coordinates as such:

An example of an MGRS coordinate, or grid reference, would be 4QFJ12345678, which consists of three parts:

4Q (grid zone designator, GZD)

FJ (the 100,000-meter square identifier)

1234 5678 (numerical location; easting is 1234 and northing is 5678, in this case specifying a location with 10 m resolution)

Not really anything else we can do, other than familiarize ourself with the area of operations (memorize the westernmost 100Km Grid ID column and the two adjacent GZDs) or consult the flight map, either on the MFD or F-10 map set to "map" emulating the bunch of paper maps the pilots use.

In real life the JTAC would likely be aware he is close to a GZD border and give it right away, or you would ask him to clarify the GZD. Unfortunately this isn't an option with the AI or scripted JTACs.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)