Starting point for VR

Hey guys,

Problem child here again with my 1st world problem. I love VR always have and always will. But right now it feels like it's a distant dream.

I started playing DCS back in about 2018 when I got the hornet. at this time I had the Oculus Cv1. The Cv1 was replaced by the Oculus Rift. This is where major issues started to pop up for me. When I got Rift I started noticing a lot of ghosting pretty much everywhere no matter what the settings were. In about 2020 I ended up replacing the Rift for a reverb g1. At the same time, I also built what I would consider a new pc aside from the graphics card.  The previous system was an 8700k with 32gigs of ram and the 2080ti. The new system was an AMD 3900x  32 gigs of ram 2 1tb Sabrent rocket nvme's and the 2080ti. I imagine it was more of a side grade than anything but with the ghosting issues I was having I decided maybe new parts were needed.

When those new parts didn't work. I upgraded from the 3900 to a 5900x( I know the 5800x3d would have been a better way to go but I only had access to the 5900x). I still experienced the same jutter/vibration/shake I was setting. At this point, Nothing else was experiencing this type of performance issue and I was spending more time troubleshooting than playing. I had Formatted several times and disconnected my monitors. Disconnected devices I had plugged in and even asked for help from the community including Bignewy at the end of it all No one could suggest anything that would help and I was left with the 🤷‍♂️emoji. On top of that, I had gotten a 3090 as well.

A close friend of mine I fly with all the time suggested maybe it was time to go back to Intel, so I grabbed a 13700k.

So now my current specs are 13700K,32gigs of DDR4 ram 1tb Nvme dedicated to games and sims, and a 4090.

I tried VR on the 4090 for a little bit and just got so frustrated that I basically wanted to give up. How could I have upgraded so many times, and swapped out different parts just to experience the same thing? 

I have attached a picture with an illustration to kinda show what I am experiencing. I took it in 2d which I do not experience the shake.

My resolution in 2d is 7680x1440.

I am still faced with the same jutter and shake when looking at AI aircraft or the ground. unfortunately, it makes me sick and I can't fly like that. I've attached a picture of what I see because I believe it's different for everyone.

if I were to describe it verbally. When I fly low to the ground and look out the left or right side of any cockpit, I see the ground shake like a vibration. Sometimes it also looks like it's being pulled and snapping back into place.

So why did I write out this long in boring story? I wrote it out because I read another thread where the person made a blank statement about how bad VR runs. I want people to know and understand my experience and frustration. Why I am one of those people who have basically sworn off VR even though I stated I would never go without it.

So to get to the point. is there anyone that can provide me with a starting baseline for my settings? I am not looking for ultra-super clarity. I am just looking to be able to use my VR without the shaking/jutter that I experience. 

TLDR: I have a good pc and I am frustrated with my experience in DCS and VR.

Please help.

Thanks for reading!

PS. I literally do not have anything connected right now so this suppose to be a fresh new starting point.

null

image.png

Edited by Xthedarkknight99x

@Xthedarkknight99x are you running OpenBeta MT? 

I had similar issues prior to MT release. 

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

Are you using motion reprojection?  That could explain the "jitter", if you see it only on the sides.  You should expand on what software setting/version you use, there might be a problem there also.  You do have a high end gear and your experience should be silky smooth!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Well in that case, I would suggest to start with low settings and move your way up.  I am not familiar with the reverb g1 but what I suggest is to try to avoid using motion reprojection and aim for native resolution plus some upscaling, the 4090 should be able to handle this.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

So once up and running again. I am using the following settings

Nvidia control panel

FXAA off

Multi frame Sampled AA(MFAA)  Off

powerMAnagement max power

Verntical sync off 

Virtual reality pre-render frames 1

Open XR 

null

null

Now video playback seems(i meant the game lol) a lot, smother than what I expected.

what is not working for me is the clarity and brightness.

What can I do to adjust clarity and Brightness?

image.png

image.png

Edited by Xthedarkknight99x
clarifying a statement

It was recommended to me to have Anisotropic Filtering to 4x… I have no idea what it does but was recommended by veteran VR flyers here.

Also can you share a screenshot of your VR setting in DCS.. not just your general? 

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

When you say clarity do you mean the planes (gauges, MFD, models) or the maps (terrains)

Also what's the current HMD ??, brightness can be fixed using Open XR Toolkit.

Your rig should run DCS fine, I have similar specs and used a G2 now using a Pimax Crystal with no issues.

But everyone expects some thing different from VR and we understand what you want from it is the first part of the VR Game, I have guys who wont fly VR DCS because they hate how the terrain looks an the low textures no VR headset will fix that.

What's maps are you finding issues in, Syria really needs 64gb ram for VR I personally believe

Can you also please take the pics of your settings using 2D and also the VR tab, there is no need to take it in VR as it makes it hard to see your settings

Also switch that to on, you should always be using the latest runtime

image.png

Edited by Hotdognz

Try to enable Motion Reprojection (OpenXR Tools). If you can't hold steady 90 FPS, you will get stutter if you look around and especially if you look to the side.

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Ok cool, so the G2 has a small sweet spot so it's only going to be clear in the sweet spot, if you haven't found where it is yet you possibly need to move the headset around on your head, but you are not going to get clear gauges & mfds by using your eyes to look around.

Next do you have the OpenXR toolkit, you really need that too.

I'd like to see an in game screen pic of what you mean by dark cockpit.

FYI here was my current G2 settings before I went to the Crystal, these gave me good FPS through most maps

A good staring point in OpenXR toolkit is

I have OpenXR toolkit enabled and in game my settings are

Enable FSR and set it 85%
Set Sharping at 80%
Set Framelock to 60
Turbo Mode ON

In OpenXR toolkit you can adjust loads of settings on the page I show, you can adjust contrast and brightness to your liking

nullimage.png

image.png

Edited by Hotdognz

@Hotdognz I tried Those last settings I tried with no reprojection I get the shake/jitter as soon as I go near the ground.  "I know you might say,  dont look at the ground"  I just cant help it. 

I was testing on Caucasus via the Hoggit training server in the f15e. I will do some more testing when I have more time. I'm not going to let this frustrate me.

But the small test did remind me of how cool VR is.

Hi,

Try if this works,

In WINDOWS:

1-DISABLE Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling [ Settings/System/ open ‘Display’ tab., Under the "Multiple Displays" section, select "Graphics settings". Turn OFF "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" option. ]

2- Disable  XBOX Game Bar

IN DCS:

UNCHEK - "Bloom Effect" under VR,.

Disable MSAA (this kills 10-15 FPS usually in VR, you may get very noticeable shimmering but this is the trade-off you can consider). (disable it also in nvidia control panel if enabled there).

OPENXR Toolkit (you did not paste your OpenXR Toolkit PERFORMANCE TAB settings). Try this

- Target Framerate -OFF,

-UPSACLING, Try CAS with 40-50% Sharpening or test with NIS then,

- FIXED FOVEATED Rendering - OFF,

- Turbo Mode - ON 

- Framerate Throttling - OFF

See if these configs help. Good Luck!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xthedarkknight99x said:

So to get to the point. is there anyone that can provide me with a starting baseline for my settings?

If you have not done so already I would suggest running DDU to make sure you have a clean driver install. Remove all mods from DCS and do a slow repair and make sure you remove all additional files. Consider W11 over W10. Once you have done this, set all DCS settings to low and don't use openxr toolkit. Try to get a frame rate which keeps steady at your headset rate and does not drop below. You should then get a very smooth experience with no ghosting. Activate the DCS overlay to see the latencies. The lines should be smooth. Try this in an easy environment first with no buildings, few trees and no assets. If it does not work properly under these conditions you might have some hardware or software conflict. If it does work, then start increasing the settings and challenge in a harder environment, like flying over Cairo or London. Hopefully this will help.

For context, I can run a Pico 4 with rtx4070 with smooth 72fps at 3160 resolution (FSR 120% on OXRTK) with high textures, medium to low other settings, and MSAAx2. No jitter or ghosting unless the frame rate drops below 72fps (only over big cities etc.). If I drop MSAA I can get a steady 72fps over Cairo and Paris. You should be able to get a much better experience with an rtx 4090 and a G1. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Suggest you do ALL tuning on local single-player.  Multiplayer servers introduce WAY too many variables that can impact your visuals.   Even on the same server, every MP session can be different depending on who is connected, where the tides are, and whether or not Mercury is in retrograde....  SP is a much more stable environment to tune in.

• Like 2

MSI Z790 Carbon - i9-139000k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - (3x) WD SN850X - HP Reverb G2

IMG_2009.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xthedarkknight99x said:

I was testing on Caucasus via the Hoggit training server in the f15e. I will do some more testing when I have more time. I'm not going to let this frustrate me.

I'd suggest testing your settings in single player with simple missions.

Servers will add some latency of their own, and with heavily scripted missions or a lot of units in the map you end up with a stutter fest, no matter how powerful your rig is.