How to designate OFFSET target? Bug I suppose?

YoYo
Go to solution Solved by KlarSnow,

Hi,

I feel like this is a bug but I need confirmation or maybe I'm missing something. It turns out that once you set the target offset, you can't designate it, and the ASL line doesn't go towards it.

Notice this. A2G mode + A2G radar, btw. we talk here only on A2G radar, not TPOD!

1/ I have main target (2) and few offsets (2.01, ...). You can jump between offset targets by coolie swich up which is normal but firstly ASL line stays only on the main Target (2). Strange but maybe it's OK (it's not logical that it doesn't automatically jump between all targets).

2/ Next you can jump to offset and ... designate it by TDC and ... what is a surprise the ASL line is still on the main target (2) only, so looks like you cant designate offset targets for an unknown reason. But what's most interesting, if you move the cursor outside of the trinagle and try to designate it again, voila, no problem, the ASL will move to a new location and the target square will appear on the HUD in right place like by normal way. I guess it's a bug.

o4q0pth.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• Solution

designating an offset designates the target. Offsets are not additional targets they are offsets. When you have TGT cursor function and designate with an offset in PB17, it will designate the target point associated with the offset at the bearing and range from the offset that was saved.

The behavior you are seeing is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KlarSnow said:

designating an offset designates the target. Offsets are not additional targets they are offsets. When you have TGT cursor function and designate with an offset in PB17, it will designate the target point associated with the offset at the bearing and range from the offset that was saved.

The behavior you are seeing is correct.

Ok, thanks, although it seems strange to me that the option to mark the target does not work in this particular place, and outside the triangle it does.

I need to check if it's possible to set several targets before the mission, so one after the other, e.g. but then the first one can become an Aim Point Im affraid? If we know the location of the targets, they should be immediately marked on the map, so that you can quickly move between them.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

Ok, thanks, although it seems strange to me that the option to mark the target does not work in this particular place, and outside the triangle it does.

I need to check if it's possible to set several targets before the mission, so one after the other, e.g. but then the first one can become an Aim Point Im affraid? If we know the location of the targets, they should be immediately marked on the map, so that you can quickly move between them.

My understanding is that the offsets are not for targeting, they are there as relative landmarks for the main target, e.g. you'd put offsets at various buildings or features that should be there while planning.  Then you'd take a HRM, and if the target steerpoint is, in fact surrounded by landmarks at the correct locations, you know the INS hasn't drifted.

• Like 1

A good idea I see is to set everything as TARGETS then ASL actually shows the correct target after switching.. Fortunately, if it's several in a row, it doesn't treat the previous one as Aiming Point, so it's ok. It can be considered that the problem is solved then ;).

xiTuiy2.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Designating an offset designates the target point associated with it. The idea for offsets is not they are more targets, but a relative location to give you steering to the actual target. When you designate with an offset in PB17 it designated the associated target point at the relative bearing and range to the offset.

so for example target point 4.A with offsets 4.01A and 4.02A 

4.01A is 5000 feet due north of 4.A

4.02A is 3 miles due west of 4.A

if you have 4.01A in PB 17 and squeeze a designation with target cursor function, 4.A will snap 5000 feet south of your cursor location and will be designated and you will get steering to it.

If you have 4.02A in PB 17 and squeeze a designation with target cursor function, 4.A will snap to 3 miles east of your cursor location, and will be designated and you will get steering to it.

This is how offsets work. 
you use them to locate and cue you to the target point, not as targets on their own.

Edited by KlarSnow
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, KlarSnow said:

if you have 4.01A in PB 17 and squeeze a designation with target cursor function, 4.A will snap 5000 feet south of your cursor location and will be designated and you will get steering to it.

Thx. "Squeeze a designation" - using TDC press in this situation? For me, it would always stand there and point to 4.A in this example however I will check it again.

So to be clear > target is on 4.A, offset is 4.01A, Im in A2G mode, radar A2G on too.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

8 hours ago, YoYo said:

Thx. "Squeeze a designation" - using TDC press in this situation? For me, it would always stand there and point to 4.A in this example however I will check it again.

So to be clear > target is on 4.A, offset is 4.01A, Im in A2G mode, radar A2G on too.

I see it works, but in NAV mode only. Here 4.01A, 02A etc works (destinations are changed), but not for A2G mode.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif