Advice on best product for bass shaker installation

markturner1960

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading from or replacing my jet seat with some bass shakers. Been recommended the BST2, but on searching found quite a choice of varying sized, rated shaker pucks. I will be mounting them direct to my sim chair from the selection in the search window here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Dayton+Audio+BST-2+Tactile+Bass+Shaker&i=electronics&crid=JM9IXK08NXJB&sprefix=dayton+audio+bst-2+tactile+bass+shaker%2Celectronics%2C488&ref=nb_sb_noss 

What would people who have gone down this route recommend? How many and of what size / rating? Many thanks! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to this topic, but I have 2 50w AuraSound AST-2B-4's screwed directly into the bottom of an IKEA Markus chair.

One 50w shaker is easily enough for most 'direct-to-chair' setups, as long as you're able to mount it near the centre line. This wasn't a possibility for me, so when I had just one wired up, the vibration was biased to one side. I added the second one to balance it out.

I usually run them at 50% volume then dial the simshaker settings in at between 25 - 75 depending on the effect. Any more than that and my neighbours would probably complain. 

Excellent, thanks!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, Tiyrant said:

Bit late to this topic, but I have 2 50w AuraSound AST-2B-4's screwed directly into the bottom of an IKEA Markus chair.

One 50w shaker is easily enough for most 'direct-to-chair' setups, as long as you're able to mount it near the centre line. This wasn't a possibility for me, so when I had just one wired up, the vibration was biased to one side. I added the second one to balance it out.

I usually run them at 50% volume then dial the simshaker settings in at between 25 - 75 depending on the effect. Any more than that and my neighbours would probably complain. 

Would be interested in some pictures of your setup, as I plan to upgrade my jetseat as well & attach some shakers to my swedish office chair 🙃

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

On 9/23/2023 at 9:40 PM, Canadus said:

Would be interested in some pictures of your setup, as I plan to upgrade my jetseat as well & attach some shakers to my swedish office chair 🙃

Same thing on the other side. The wire is routed around the chair using stick on clips.

I used some fabric cable sleeves to protect the 'umbilical' going to the amp mounted on the underside of my desk. 

20230807_192053.jpg

20230926_091730.jpg

20230926_091700.jpg

Edited by Tiyrant
Added additional images
  • Like 2

What screws to attach a vibration device for cheap wood or mdf? 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

On 9/26/2023 at 1:53 AM, Tiyrant said:

Same thing on the other side. The wire is routed around the chair using stick on clips.

I used some fabric cable sleeves to protect the 'umbilical' going to the amp mounted on the underside of my desk. 

Wow. Great. It`s exactly what I have in mind for my setup (using the same chair as you...) 
I plan to use 2x Dayton Audio BST-2, which come in at 35W max each. 
Did plan to attach the Amp to the chair, but your solution seems to work better, when planning to deattach everything.

How do you like your 2 shakers? Do you think that`s it too much or do you feel it`s just perfect, mounted on your seat?
I`m asking, as your shakers would correspond to Dayton`s BST-1.

Did you also mount some transducers to your pedals?
I`m keen on trying that as well (most likely by using some small Dayton TT-25), plus maybe mounting a 5th small shaker to my stick.

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I have two Dayton audio BST-1s which I love, so much extra immersion. I have a homemade simpit with a sim racing seat mounted on plywood which is attached to the frame via rubber anti vibration mounts. They help reduce any of the noise through the house and ensure that I get the full effect through the seat.

The main challenge I had is choosing the amp. I went for a nobsound mini (hmm) seems quite widely used at the time and does run these well although they are 50w and the amp only does 30 per channel with the current power supply. It can do 50 with more volts. I found it really hard to figure out what amp rating is ok as I know there can be mis matches. On 80% volume it feels fine, I don't use sim shaker, really didn't like it. I use game sound only (EQ'd) and it feels great, sonic booms feel like I have been hit with a bomb though! The game sound option is so much less hassle and to me feels so much more natural with the game, perfect sync and as much variety as the game sounds effects have. One thing I have noticed is that not all modules have the same amount of low frequency sounds. For example the F15 feels quite weak all the time, but the apache is amazing - nice subtle thud when the door closes and the gun rattle it nicely, in the front you feel it even more, like it was actually under my seat. Helis in general are great as the rotor whirl works nicely.

Edited by Hoirtel

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 8:29 AM, Canadus said:

Wow. Great. It`s exactly what I have in mind for my setup (using the same chair as you...) 
I plan to use 2x Dayton Audio BST-2, which come in at 35W max each. 
Did plan to attach the Amp to the chair, but your solution seems to work better, when planning to deattach everything.

How do you like your 2 shakers? Do you think that`s it too much or do you feel it`s just perfect, mounted on your seat?
I`m asking, as your shakers would correspond to Dayton`s BST-1.

Did you also mount some transducers to your pedals?
I`m keen on trying that as well (most likely by using some small Dayton TT-25), plus maybe mounting a 5th small shaker to my stick.

They're really cool. One of those things that's really hard to come back from when you get used to it. Its especially useful for Helicopters and Warbirds as you can feel when VRS or a stall is about to kick in. 

Two of them are definitely far too powerful for an office chair, I just needed them for balanced haptics. I usually run the amp at between 20 and 50% volume. Anything past that and I think the neighbours would complain! I also dial the settings down on the shaker software to about 20 - 50% depending on the effect.

I don't have any transducers on the pedals. I would like to, but I think it might end up a bit too much for a desk setup. If I got a permanent rig I'd definitely do it.