10 Percent True and Sedlo Present: Operation Inherent Resolve - A CF-18 Hornet Mission (ver 2.9.A001)

Sedlo

CURRENT VERSION: 2024-04-26
DOWNLOAD LINK: 
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332538/

10 PERCENT TRUE YOUTUBE: https://www.10percenttrue.com/
10 PERCENT TRUE DISCORD: https://discord.gg/Feu25zjVxs

NOTE: THIS IS A SINGLE-PLAYER MISSION.  IT USES SCRIPTS AND TRIGGERS THAT ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MULTIPLAYER STYLE PLAY.  

Welcome to Inherent Resolve, a DCS F/A-18C Hornet Mission designed by Sedlo for the 10 Percent True Podcast.

This is a Close Air Support Mission set on the Syria Map and can be played single-player only.  See Read_Me file in the included ,zip for more information.

There are two versions of this mission inside the zip file.  One is a Cold Start and the other an Air Start.  The Air Start version puts you at the refueling track, full of gas and ready to take on any tasking you receive.  It is recommended to fly the Cold Start Version first though, as you will receive more information about the mission.

This mission is designed for players who are proficient in the DCS F/A-18C module and its weapons systems.  Examples of challenges you may face include:

•    Basic aircraft handling, such as take offs and landings
•    Use of the various radio and navigation systems.
•    Air to Air Refueling.
•    Dynamic re-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
•    Use of the targeting pod and employment of weapons systems.

(It is essential that you read and understand the included mission briefing documents AND the Read_Me file included in the .zip)

In addition, familiarity with US military terms and abbreviations is helpful to understand what is going on in the flight.  

NOTE: You MUST own the DCS F/A-18C Hornet module and you MUST own UGRA MEDIA’s Syria Terrain in order to play this mission!

INSTALLATION: Unzip the contents of the download to your folder at Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Missions

MISSION OBJECTIVES

Today’s mission (XR-352-P) has three main objectives:

•    Provide On Call CAS support in the southern Section of the AO from 06:30z to 09:00z.
•    Train with 93rd ARW out of Fairchild AFB, newly arrived in theatre.
•    Familiarization with Local area and AO procedures

WEATHER AND NOTAMS

OVERVIEW

A weakening high-pressure system overhead the southern AO will slowly give way to a warm front approaching from the Mediterranean.  Weather throughout the AO is good VFR, light winds, visibility more than 10 miles and ceilings around 10,000ft.

METAR/TAF
KING HUSSEIN AB (OJMF) METAR/TAF
METAR OJMF 0400Z 30012KT 10SM SCT100 10/1 Q1013 2992
TAF OMJF  060404 P10SM SCT100 FM 061000 30020KT P7SM HZ BKN100

H4 AIRBASE (IQ-0400) METAR/TAF
METAR IQ-0400 0400Z 34002KT 10SM SCT110 8/1 Q1013 2992
TAF IQ-0400 060404 P10SM SCT110 FM 061000 30030KT P3SM HZ BKN60

H3 AIRBASE (IQ-0020) METAR/TAF
METAR IQ-0020 0400Z 01011KT 10SM BKN100 6/1 Q1013 2992
TAF IQ-0020 060404 P10SM SCT110 FM 061000 30030KT P3SM HZ BKN60

NOTAMS
C007 - OJMF TAXIWAY C, C3, C4 CLOSED UFN
C036 - OJMF TACAN (10X, AJQ) U/S FROM 0100Z-0400Z DEC.6
C991 - OJMF LIGHTING RWY 31 TO READ: AW INSTEAD OF AO  
C216 – OJMF VHF TWR FREQ 119.7 U/S UFN.  CTC TWR 121.0 UFN
C217 – OJMF VHF ATIS FREQ 129.75 U/S UFN.

INTELLIGENCE UPDATE

OVERVIEW 06 DECEMBER 2016 AT 01:00 ZULU

Daesh fighters are expected to make a final move on the town of Palmyra this morning after taking the airport late last night.  

The Syrian Army has retreated to the Palmyra Army Depot and are expected to hold the base against the current Daesh attack.  The Palmyra Army Depot is a suspected WMD storage area, and it’s in Syria’s best interest to secure these weapons from being compromised.

The State Department and OGA have reached out to the Syrian leadership to offer assistance in securing the WMD but all offers have been declined.

The COALITION partners have determined that WMD falling into the hands of DAESH is to be avoided at all cost.

The Russian Navy Task Force centered around t
he Cruiser VARYAG is expected to make port at Tartus this afternoon.  Refueling and replenishment operations are expected to take 12 hours.  

RIVET JOINT has detected indications of a new SA-3 battery located at TYIAS airbase.  The proximity to the FEBA near Palmyra indicates that the Syrians intend to hold TIYAS in the face of any organized Daesh attack.

The new teletype link (POLECAT) between the Syrian Ministry of Defense, RUAFHQ and JACKAL is now operational. This development is meant to ensure positive communications between military leadership on all sides of the situation in Syrian.

MISSION PLANNING

Mission Number – XR-352-P

Departure: VFR Departure runway 31 from C2 (8998 ft remaining)
Afterburner: Yes
Departure Instructions: VFR 31 Dep LEFT turn heading 180 maintain 6000.  

Note: There is no ATC control outside the OJMF control zone.  OJMF Control Zone extends in a 10nm radius up to 5500ft MSL

•    Ford 51 will depart runway 31 with an immediate left turn to heading 180.  Expect to be pushed to FOCUS control leaving 5000ft.
•    Rendezvous and refuel with Texaco 51 at Steer Point 2 (ADDER).  
•    Take Up On-Call CAS with an orbit overhead Steer Point 3 (Al-Tanf)
•    VUL time is 0630-0900 Z.
•    Following VUL time, TEXACO 51 will be available for refueling if desired.
•    Expect the visual approach and overhead break runway 31.
•    When overhead Syrian Territory, ensure you are EAST of the 38 E line.

THREATS

The Syrian Air Force has increased operations dramatically in the last 24 hours.  Yesterday, they carried out multiple airstrikes in defense of the city of Palmyra.  SU-24 and MiG-29 attacks were observed, with all operations out of the TIYAS airbase.  

Russian SU-35 CAP patrols have been observed in and around the port of TARTUS, which coincides with the expected arrival of their naval task force later today.
Syrian Air Force has MiG-29 on alert at TIYAS and SHAYRAT airbases, all believed to be in a 15-minute alert status.

Russian SU-35 are on 5-minute alert at Latakia Airbase.

Syrian IADS network is still operational.  Damascus is defended by long range SA-5 and SA-2 batteries.

SA-2, SA-3 and SA-6 batteries near the airbase at TIYAS are operational.
High volumes of AAA and MANPADS expected throughout the AO.

RULES OF ENGAGMENT

ROE Weapons Tight – Do not fire unless under direct attack or authorized via JACKAL or FOCUS control.

10PCT_MISSION_Hornet_Patch_1_-_large.png

hornet_screen1.jpg

hornet_use_screen_1.jpg

Edited by Sedlo
  • Like 3

Major, Major update... Version 1.25.

First of all, bug on Cold Start has been fixed.  (it was hanging on initial contact with Jackal, now fixed.  Please update ASAP)

K1ll0raffe over on Youtube said they wished for an ability for time acceleration to go to 1x when important events occur.  Got me thinking, "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?".  It is doable.  And it's done.

Version 1.25 features this feature.  Now you can bomb around at 10x speed and not worry you'll miss something important, as it will automatically drop to 1x when the radio transmission starts or event happens.

• Like 1

First let me express my gratitude for the 3 OIR missions for 15,16 and 18. IMHO they are an invaluable training aid to become better in our skill-set.

Now (after the discreet @ss kissing above 🙂 ) and really knowing the amount of work there is in those missions, I have a rather easy request which I do believe will multiply the usability. Can you provide us with CoOp versions for 2 players only (for the roles of Ford 5-1 and 5-2) ?

Thanks in advance for your reply and may you keep on giving us this kind of quality content!!

If  you want to make a GOOD COOP or Multiplayer mission, you MUST set out to do that from the start. 

I set out to make a good single-player mission.   I use triggers and scripts that ONLY work in a single-player environment.  

Now to kiss my own ass, I know this is a good mission.  I'm mighty proud of it.  People tell me that it's good, and I'm really glad they enjoy it.

And I understand, they want to have the great experience they had in single-player and share it with their friends.  I get it, I really do.  This is not the mission for that.  

It will not work.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sedlo said:

I appreciate the ass-kissing, but I have to ask: what makes you think that is an easy request?

Do you think it is just a matter of switching it to client and bingo, it’s done?

Thanks a lot for the lightning fast reply.

Of course it is not that simple. BUT from all people, YOU know the implications of turning Ford 5-2 from ace to client in the avalanche of your triggers and the needed changes. I know it would have been a mountain to climb for me to try and I thought it might be kind of doable from you who made the mission and know exactly what you did.

But if you say this is not the case, then I really appreciate the info and gladly forget my idea for CoOp conversion.

I really hope to be able to play a new CoOp mission from you in the future. Thanks again!!

• Like 1

@BMamba, I appreciate that.. Honestly it would be re-writing the mission from the ground up to make this multi-player.  And, it wouldn't be the same, because the functionality of the scripts/triggers would not make this the same experience.

To make a really good multi-player mission, you have to go at it with that mindset from the start.  For me, the reason I don't do multiplayer can be summarized like this:

1.  I like to make complex missions with complex triggers and scripts.  Things that listen to the position of a switch in the cockpit, an indication in the HUD and fire an voice over or an action in response - not available in multiplayer.

2. Testing.  The complexity of the missions I like to make require extensive testing.  Multiplayer missions require multiple people to test.  My testing time is limited and varied.  I make an adjustment, I test.  I tweak, I test. Sometimes I'll spend 8 hours or more testing/tweaking a particular trigger to make sure it's right.  I can't expect someone to be at my beck and call to do that with me.

A simple mission with basic triggers can often be changed over with little difficulty.  But the reason you don't see this style of mission in multiplayer is because it just isn't possible or practical.

Take care,

Sedlo

• Like 3

@BMamba
DCS doesn't really support scripted co-op missions/campaigns like for single player.
The best us users can do, is give support in threads that tries to actively make ED see the benefits in co-op campaigns, and make them compatible and easier to make in the ME.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Sedlo changed the title to 10 Percent True and Sedlo Present: Operation Inherent Resolve - A CF-18 Hornet Mission (ver 1.25)
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, _Spad_ said:

I had an issue when I keyed in the JTAC frequency after refuelling that I got no triggers from that point on. My frequency was correct but I got no contact from the JTAC?

That sounds not good.... OK, just to make sure:

1.  Did you check out from the tanker with radio menu F10?

2. After checking out, you switched back to Focus (Ch.16 Prime)

3.  You got told to switch to Eyeball on 310.525 and you used the Prime (left) radio?

4.  Your Aux (right side) radio was on Ch. 18.

• 1 month later...
  • Sedlo changed the title to 10 Percent True and Sedlo Present: Operation Inherent Resolve - A CF-18 Hornet Mission (ver 2.9.A001)
  • 1 month later...

Ok, just finished the mission and again, you've pure gold here!!!

Passed in my 2nd try

Spoiler

All the unexpected tipical of your missions:

the attack with the JDAM go flawlessy, but when cleared on the revetted APC my first GBU-12 don't hit,so release the second and spalsh the targets.

Advised of the two truck and strafed'em, my wingie go down and wait for the CSAR, finally at bingo hot the tanker and cleared RTB

I'm so thrilled mate...why not a Campaign of OIR? I'll pay an eventual one, you deserve it!!!

Again thanks

• Like 2

• 4 months later...