Is there a way to recover WMR when the headset goes black

Sandman1330

So this is one of my greatest frustrations with DCS / WMR / Reverb G2 right now.

At various times, for various reasons, the headset will "de-sync" from the WMR environment. This leaves the headset with just a black screen (screen on, just black), while the WMR window correctly reflects what's happening in game, head movements, etc - the headset is just black.

This sometimes happens on startup if things don't sync correctly, or sometimes for other reasons. Just now I stepped away from the computer mid-mission to answer some pressing work emails, and when came back the screens had gone to sleep. On waking up, everything woke up, except the headset. Black screen of death. Game still running, WMR window still showing everything, just nothing in the headset. Other reasons this has happened is if there's a brief USB cut-out (happens rarely though).

Anyway, my question, has anyone found a way to recover from this? Any way to make it re-sync? 

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

In your windows setting, under mixed reality, headset display, turn your Positional Tracking OFF.  That's most likely your issue, when your headset detects it's getting borderline on the tracking, it will shut off by fading to gray when this is turned on.  Suppose to be an aid to prevent motion sickness when things get jittery.

As for the sleep, set your time higher in WMR, but once it sleeps your app is lost.

2 hours ago, Nodak said:

In your windows setting, under mixed reality, headset display, turn your Positional Tracking OFF.  That's most likely your issue, when your headset detects it's getting borderline on the tracking, it will shut off by fading to gray when this is turned on.  Suppose to be an aid to prevent motion sickness when things get jittery.

As for the sleep, set your time higher in WMR, but once it sleeps your app is lost.

I’ll try that, thx.

The sleep is already set to off, it was my monitors that went to sleep. I won’t turn that off as I used to have it off and got bad burn-in on my expensive ultrawide monitor…

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

18 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

another thing that could help is go into device manager, under mixed reality devices will be your g2. right-click, properties. under power management tab uncheck 'allow computer to turn off this device to save power'

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

So my read on this is, while there have been several great suggestions on how to avoid the situation, it would seem once it has happened there is no way to recover the game. That’s a shame, as the game is clearly still running and WMR is still functioning, there’s just nothing displayed on the headset. There should be some way to “reboot” the headset and sync it up again. Not a DCS problem (I think the issue is WMR / HP), but a shame nonetheless.

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Sandman1330 said:

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

So my read on this is, while there have been several great suggestions on how to avoid the situation, it would seem once it has happened there is no way to recover the game. That’s a shame, as the game is clearly still running and WMR is still functioning, there’s just nothing displayed on the headset. There should be some way to “reboot” the headset and sync it up again. Not a DCS problem (I think the issue is WMR / HP), but a shame nonetheless.

Next time it happens in game attach the dcs log from that session so we can take a look. Maybe some clues in there? 
If the headset is powering off there is no way to reinitialised it in DCS currently without restarting DCS.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

Next time it happens in game attach the dcs log from that session so we can take a look. Maybe some clues in there? 
If the headset is powering off there is no way to reinitialised it in DCS currently without restarting DCS.

thanks

Thanks for replying BN.

I’m 99% sure it’s not a DCS issue, as DCS is still running correctly within WMR. It’s when the headset powers off or briefly loses connection (USB issues), the headset seems to lose its connection with WMR. I was just hoping someone in the community had maybe found a fix / workaround.

• ED Team

When I started having issues with my G2 it was the cable, replaced it and all was ok again. 

hope you get it sorted. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Most likely to be the cables, with the my v1 cables failed twice. 

However, it could be also be amd/nvidia drivers.

On one occasion, i had blackout and wmr not detect G2. Problem remained after I replaced it with brand new spare cable.

I thought it could be video drivers corrpted, I updated the AMD driver did not help. I was just about to bin the headset.

Then I remembered reading suggestion on the forum. One should always completely remove existing driver with DD Uninstall prior to updated video drivers.

And it works.. I saved me twice now.

Before replacing your cable, just try to remove your existed video driver with DD uninstall and reinstall video driver again.

When the headset goes to sleep, the display turns off.  In the WMR window it will say that the headset is sleeping and give you a button to "wake it up".  This does wake up the headset, but now the headset is no longer in the game, it is in the cliff house (usually).  In MFS you can turn off VR and turn it back on without restarting MSFS and that (usually) brings back the VR display.  As bignewy said above, you cant do that in DCS so the only option is to prevent sleep in the first place (which others posted how to do above)