GAU-8 in night conditions

Dragan
Go to solution Solved by Mud,

Hello friends, I need good advice, if there are any A-10 pilots on the forum, it would be helpful, and I believe that there are, since I put the cannon aiming cross out of use due to the wastage of ammunition and inaccuracy and totally put the circle into use, I am interested in how to I attack targets at night, how can I see them before the attack when I fly down after identifying them with TGP?

Edited by Dragan

• Solution

If you're using NVG's, you can paint them with the IR laser of the TGP to give you a point to focus on.  
It's been ages since I have done it, but I think I turned off the laser just before shooting so it would not mask the target.

Mud

• Like 2
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Just now, Dragan said:

Thanks, both the solutions you mentioned are useful, I will definitely try them, and when you say IR laser, what exactly do you mean, is it IR from TGP with the laser on?

The TGP can fire a non-visible laser or an infrared beam, or both.  You can switch which is being fired from the TGP screen on the MFD's, and I believe there is a HOTAS command for it as well.

• Like 4
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

17 hours ago, Dragan said:

Hello friends, I need good advice, if there are any A-10 pilots on the forum, it would be helpful, and I believe that there are, since I put the cannon aiming cross out of use due to the wastage of ammunition and inaccuracy and totally put the circle into use, I am interested in how to I attack targets at night, how can I see them before the attack when I fly down after identifying them with TGP?

As I did not have much first hand IAM experience, I am certainly aware of how to target at night.

As stated in a few posts, NVG with InfaRed pointer works wonders for illuminating a target.

The real answer unfortunately is simple.  "Check and verify."

In real world scenarios you would be doing pilot related drills to check and verify on certain type of control targets and some of those are sight unseen and mostly consist of verifying your INS drift, read-back information, or painted target.  Or a combination of all of them.

Even verifying everything in your control you can still miss your target.  There are checklists to make sure you verify all of your information is correct and accurate and you rely on them and your training.   Ultimately lack of attention can needlessly cost someone their life and it may be same team.

If flying with other people, or JTAC, a talk on may be warranted by someone who has more SA than you.

Practice at it..

Edited by A10Yoda
  • Like 2

I tried a night flight with the NVG and had success hitting the target with the cannon I boosted the NVG and got small black dots that were clearly visible, if anyone can explain how to use the IR it would be helpful, can I use it on its own or does it require JTAC?

You can use either or, whichever you prefer.

As for enabling the IR marker, you can either use the HOTAS command for it to toggle between LSR, IR or BOTH, or you can just press the button on the MFD page. After that you just need to be in range of the pointer (something like 10-15nm) and then press the NWS button. After that, turn on your NVGs and you should see it.

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

Guys, all of you who came here helped me, on this occasion I want to thank you to the heavens, I was doing attack with IR marker and NVG and I had great hits with the cannon 90% of the bullets hit every target, a big big thank you all again once.. Cheers 👍 🍺 🍺 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A10Yoda said:

На крају, ЦЦИП пиштољ може вам дати удаљеност до циља. Комбинација подешавања СПИ и радарског висиномера ће помоћи да се обезбеди одговарајућа удаљеност захвата и сигуран излазак.

I tried both variants of targeting the target, they were equally successful as with the distance adjustment, until recently I had big problems with attacks at night because I didn't use IR, in any case thank you very much 🍺