Status of the ELINT feature

razo+r

What's the status of the ELINT feature? It seems to be left in a broken state.

I've been trying a mission on cyprus. There were about 2 different types of RADARs on the island, with 8 units in total. I was doing a trip around the whole island to see how accurate it will be.

Upon landing, the location isn't marked on the kneeboard anymore like it used to. RADAR PRF databases also don't seem to be up to date anymore so identifying is kind of hard. Additionally, the noted coordinates were completely off the island itself.

image.png

So, did I miss something? Is Heatblur planning on improving it again?

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1

The website not having an up-to-date ELINT database isn't really on HB though TBF.
The positional accuracy could certainly be better though. 😄 I think it might be merging radars of the same kind together into a single super inaccurate box, if you get too much data. Like when doing circles around them.
It's like "There a radar type X over here. Oh, now it's behind me, now it on my right." And so on. It just adds it into a huge mess of data. Is my theory of the crazy inaccuracies you get.
How does it look if you just fly straight though them in a somewhat straight line? Preferably with TERNAV tracking too.

The kneeboard stuff I've never used so don't know.

• Like 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

8 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

The website not having an up-to-date ELINT database isn't really on HB though TBF.
The positional accuracy could certainly be better though. 😄 I think it might be merging radars of the same kind together into a single super inaccurate box, if you get too much data. Like when doing circles around them.
It's like "There a radar type X over here. Oh, now it's behind me, now it on my right." And so on. It just adds it into a huge mess of data. Is my theory of the crazy inaccuracies you get.
How does it look if you just fly straight though them in a somewhat straight line? Preferably with TERNAV tracking too.

The kneeboard stuff I've never used so don't know.

Thing is, I find it difficult to ID things. Some websites are not maintained, ok, I get that. But even other ways it's hard. For example, they have implemented at least parts of your A27 mod. You have a list there with the PRFs and other things. Yesterday I had a RADAR that wasn't in that list. There isn't a list with all the stuff in the manual either, and it's not labeled in the kneeboard anymore either so personally, I am a bit lost there.

Then yesterday I also had a RADAR on the ELINT page noted with a Silent period of -0.1s. Or just now trying out against a SA-3 template, I get a silent period of 1.49012e-09s...

Anyway, I'm now trying to see how accurate the system is. I had a AN/FPS-117 placed on the map and that one didn't get picked up at all, so great start. Now I switched it out with a single SA-3 template group and below is the result.

image.png

image.png

I made a whole square around the site and as you can see, one RADAR is basically spot on while the second one is inaccurate as hell.

Now the second flight is with 4 SA-3 groups all within the square flight I'll be doing. Below are the results.

image.png

So it seems your theory is plausible. The more of a specific RADAR are on a map, the less accurate the system will be. It basically renders this feature useless for most missions that are not specifically designed for this feature.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am not sure how much data HB has to improve it, in terms of accuracy and in terms of making it work with all current DCS radars again.

But I also think it should be a little more accurate and also work better in terms of DCS.
I think the ELINT performance of the Viggen and also the HTS are a bit nerfed. At least I have some knowledge/experience to believe so.

But EW is also a very sensitive topic on the other hand. 

• Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 6 months later...