Simple Ejection Handle Solution

Adrian858

Hey folks,

I wanted to share my endeavor with anyone who might be interested in ideas for putting together a fairly easy ejection handle for their cockpit. I was inspired by "Troll" on the Mudspike forums (https://forums.mudspike.com/t/eject-eject-eject/2985) and began designing an ejection handle that would offer some physical resistance. I initially put together a programmable 3 Key Macropad Keyboard as a side ejection handle (until I could find a better solution), and then went down the rabbit hole of tinkering.

This is the very first barebones iteration:
Photo 2023-08-19, 16 38 32.jpg
While this had worked as a temporary solution by mounting it to the side of a mounting plate beside my chair, I began drafting different designs and doing some research online that would suit my needs for a center mounted pull to eject handle. Through some trial and error obtaining different components and conducting painstaking measurements, I finally came up with a simple and effective ejection handle.

Completion of the design:
Photo 2023-09-12, 01 10 44.jpg Photo 2023-09-12, 01 13 55.jpg Photo 2023-09-12, 01 14 36.jpg

Mounted and ready:
Photo 2023-09-02, 13 51 21.jpg

Two plastic plates were created (courtesy of the wife) using her 3D printer. One was to attach the bolts together, acting as an elevating plate that activates the keyboard when it is raised by pulling the handle up, and a simple rectangular box to fit into the space above the upside down keyboard.
Photo 2023-09-12, 01 38 44.jpg Photo 2023-09-12, 01 42 13.jpg
The "Top Plate" fit after removing some plastic pieces on the inside of the housing unit at the back.

Holes were drilled through the back of the housing unit so that it could be mounted to the Flight Seat, with another hole drilled through the bottom for the USB cord.

By far, I would say getting the holes of the "bottom bolt plate" just right to align with the holes in the top of the housing unit through the flanged bearings was the most difficult part. If you're using a 3D printer, I would highly recommend printing some small thin plates with the holes in them before printing the full scale plate to ensure a proper fit (and save on filament). If the holes in the plate and top of the housing do not align, the bolts become slightly angled and hard to move further up or down.

The spacing I have between the holes at the top where the tubing connects to the bolts is 1 1/16" as indicated on the sticky note as well.

I've included a list of easily procurable items from Amazon and other sources that helped me put this all together. Some of these items may be found locally, such as the Trailer Leaf Springs which I found at a nearby trailer shop.

Programmable Controller - 3 Key Macropad Keyboard:
Easily create a macro that mimics CTRL E 3x by downloading the FootSwitch (PCSensor) software

Housing - LeMotech Electrical Box:
Variety of sized boxes to suit your needs to house the components
4.7 x 4.7 x 3.5" (120 x 120 x 90 mm)

Handle - Silicone Tubing Hose:
Durable, yet flexible enough to pull on
3/8" ID 9/16" OD
8' Feet Long

Handle Cover - Braided Sleeving:
Used for esthetic over the tubing with a variety of color options
3/8" Diameter
25' Feet Long
Safety Stripe

Handle Connector - EVIL ENERGY 6AN Straight Fitting (x2):
Connects the tubing to the Shackle Bolts

Flanged Sleeve Bearings (x2):
To guide the bolts straight down
14mm x 16mm x 12mm

Shackle Bolt - Trailer Leaf Spring Shackle Bolts (x2):
Connects the tubing and plate that elevates to touch the keyboard
9/16" -18 X 3-1/2"

Compression Spring (x2):
For physical resistance during activation, but returns to its deactivated position once it's let go
3-1/4" x 13/16"

Hope this helps anyone that is looking for some options in creating a fully functional ejection seat handle! 😄

Edited by Adrian858
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Corsair Vengeance C-70 (OD), EVGA Z370 FTW, i7-8700k, Noctua NH-D15, RTX 4070ti TUF OC, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB & 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB , WD Black 4TB Perf HDD - 7200 RPM SuperNOVA 750W P2 Modular, ASUS ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440
TM Warthog, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, VPC CM3 Base, VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Apache-64, VPC Control Panel 1, WinWing PTO 2, Cougar MFD's, TekCreations F/A-18C Master Arm, Koolertron Keypad, Meta Quest 3
A-10C/II - AH-64D - AV-8B - CH-47F - F-4E - F-5E - F-14 - F-15E -  F-16C - F/A-18C - P-51D - Bf-109K4 - FC3 - UH-1H - Combined Arms - Super Carrier - Flaming Cliffs 3

Nevada - Normandy - Persian Gulf - Sinai - Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant project

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the mechanical aspects of your design and created 3d printed one that mounts to my virpil base, and I programmed the arduino to send 3 presses on a simple switch
image.png
Added an arm disarm switch
image.png
And covered the internal components with teflon tape for smoother action
image.png

image.png

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

• 4 months later...

Thanks again for your help and inspiration on design idea. Worked and mounted great after some design adjustments on a Poang Simchair. Might have to switch to an aluminum flanged sleeve bearing for better durability. 

IMG_0422.jpeg