Quest pro or wait for alternative

witwas

I can buy a quest pro here in the area for half the price, have been using a G2 for year and a half now and I am looking to ‘upgrade’.

I was actually saving up to maybe buy a varjo aero or pimax cristal by the end of the year. But now the quest pro came on the radar…..

What would you do?

1 hour ago, witwas said:

I can buy a quest pro here in the area for half the price, have been using a G2 for year and a half now and I am looking to ‘upgrade’.

I was actually saving up to maybe buy a varjo aero or pimax cristal by the end of the year. But now the quest pro came on the radar…..

What would you do?

Aero is fantastic for sure. If you have the funds though without issue and would like one now certainly Quest Pro seems to be pretty decent.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

20 minutes ago, Ahogephilia said:

that will be giving you great VR experience.

However, it would be good to wait for Quest 3 (27SEP)

For DCS I would only consider a headset with eye tracking currently to handle dynamic foveated rendering unless cost prohibitive. It makes such a huge difference in performance.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

10 minutes ago, witwas said:

The pro version has eye tracking, and it works with dcs?

Yes.

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

For DCS I would only consider a headset with eye tracking currently to handle dynamic foveated rendering unless cost prohibitive. It makes such a huge difference in performance.

I agree.

but, cheap and Resolution is increased by 30%

Quest 3 may be able to pass-through real objects like XR-3, as AR/MR functions will be improved.
(maybe, maybe, maybe)

1 hour ago, Ahogephilia said:

Quest 3 may be able to pass-through real objects like XR-3, as AR/MR functions will be improved.
(maybe, maybe, maybe)

Ok but I am curious what would that feature mean to a flight simmer? When I put on my headset for some combat flight simming, I want to be fully immersed visually in what I am doing in that world. Like I am actually there.

Don B

31 minutes ago, dburne said:

Ok but I am curious what would that feature mean to a flight simmer? When I put on my headset for some combat flight simming, I want to be fully immersed visually in what I am doing in that world. Like I am actually there.

VR flights biggest problem is that reference documents are difficult to refer.
We usually use an overlay app called "OPEN KNEEBOARD", but if you prefer real paper documents, "improved passthrough" can help.

That's actually key feature of the XR-3.

There is a technical potential in Quest 3. but, It's not official though.

Edited by Ahogephilia

30 minutes ago, Ahogephilia said:

VR flights biggest problem is that reference documents are difficult to refer.
We usually use an overlay app called "OPEN KNEEBOARD", but if you prefer real paper documents, "improved passthrough" can help.

That's actually key feature of the XR-3.

There is a technical potential in Quest 3. but, It's not official though.

Yeah Quest 3 is not even out yet. Ok I get what you are saying, I just use the regular Kneeboard. I use Kneeboard Builder to import my files into the kneeboard and view them in the headset as needed. For instance on using say a certain weapon in the Hornet, I have those particular kneeboard pages ready at the go for reference viewing in the headset if needed.  Works pretty good for me. Start up procedures per aircraft I do the same, etc.

I have flown several campaign in the Hornet, Spit, and now working on some in P-51 and have not needed to raise headset to look at anything.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

12 minutes ago, witwas said:

Just bought a Varjo aero since there was a massive price drop. Anyway thanks for the advice

:thumbup:

Congrats!

Wait till you see eye tracked DFR at work in DCS with the Aero. :smilewink:

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

On 9/13/2023 at 3:42 AM, witwas said:

What would you do?

I just pulled the trigger on a used quest pro on ebay it fit my price range. Has 30day return if I don't like it will be upgrading from Q2 curious to see how much of a difference the eye tracking will be and clarity compared to my Q2 once everything is dialed in.

J

• Like 1

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

39 minutes ago, Tomcat388th said:

I just pulled the trigger on a used quest pro on ebay it fit my price range. Has 30day return if I don't like it will be upgrading from Q2 curious to see how much of a difference the eye tracking will be and clarity compared to my Q2 once everything is dialed in.

J

It is pretty huge. I have Aero but have seen similar reports with Quest Pro.

• Like 1

Don B

On 9/13/2023 at 11:50 AM, dburne said:

+1

the pro is fantastic for exactly this.