F15E refuel rate.

Skyron

Hi all,

1. Refuel is slower thar other aircrafts in rearm (2308 lbs/min) in comparison all  other aricrafts (~2670lbs/min)

2. External wing fuel tanks are empty when fresh rearming (even if you choose not empty tank)

3. Airframe drag is higher that it is supposed to be.

Thanks!

1. Yep, noticed that too. Regarding that the StrikeEagle has quite large pockets, it takes a while to refuel.

2. That´s how all DCS modules are modeled. You will have to either drop your externals before rearming them again or you let them get removed and later back attached. This works on the F15E as well as on all other modules so far. When you refuel your jet, the external tanks usually get small ammounts of fuel, but this only until the internals are completely filled (Actually that´s how any DCS module does it). I guess the conformals won´t count here, i can´t see any fuel directed to external tanks while they are receiving.   

3. Well, that is a statement that concludes of which analysis ? Are there any numbers you can provide to the devs to verify this ? 

Edited by Jel
  • Like 1

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

8 minutes ago, Jel said:

2. That´s how all DCS modules are modeled. You will have to either drop your externals before rearming them again or you let them get removed and later back attached. This works on the F15E as well as on all other modules so far. When you refuel your jet, the external tanks usually get small ammounts of fuel, but this only until the internals are completely filled (Actually that´s how any DCS module does it). I guess the conformals won´t count here, i can´t see any fuel directed to external tanks while they are receiving.   

There are some exceptions to this, the M-2000 (If you have enabled the fix in the special options) and the AJS-37. Both can have their tanks filled up by refueling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jel said:

I drop the Tanks, and while i slot new ones, they act like "Empty Tanks" so it refuels them from 0 to 11900 lbs. With that said, in addition with the low fuel flow problem, it takes very long time to rearm and refuel after a sortie.

Edited by Skyron

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Skyron:

I drop the Tanks, and while i slot new ones, they act like "Empty Tanks" so it refuels them from 0 to 1190lbs. With that said, in addition with the low fuel flow problem, it takes very long time to rearm and refuel after a sortie.

If you drop your externals, i don´t understand your problem. Rearming - which includes fitting new external tanks - is done AFTER refuelling. So your bird gets internal tanks(+conformals) filled up and then gets full external tanks fitted if you requested some. 

Edited by Jel
  • Like 2

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

3 hours ago, Skyron said:

Hi all,

1. Refuel is slower thar other aircrafts in rearm (2308 lbs/min) in comparison all  other aricrafts (~2670lbs/min)

2. External wing fuel tanks are empty when fresh rearming (even if you choose not empty tank)

3. Airframe drag is higher that it is supposed to be.

Thanks!

I tested #1 about 2 weeks ago. It was right around 2600#:min.

For #2, have never seen this bug at any time.  If its happening for you, you need to provide a track  

#3. Dont look for that to be altered any time soon. Aircraft performs very well vs the data available. 

Thanks

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2023 at 6:56 AM, Rainmaker said:

I tested #1 about 2 weeks ago. It was right around 2600#:min.

For #2, have never seen this bug at any time.  If its happening for you, you need to provide a track  

#3. Dont look for that to be altered any time soon. Aircraft performs very well vs the data available. 

Thanks

Regarding #1 only (rate of refueling), I tested this a couple days ago and again tonight, and I got 2,285 lbs/min.  Started with an empty, dry F-15E on the ramp, cold and dark.  Max internal fuel weight according to the Mission Editor is 22588 lbs.  On start, immediately went to comms menu, ground crew, rearm/refuel, selected 100% fuel.  Fueling started at about 19 seconds into the mission.  Fueling ended at about 10m12s.  That's 9m53s total, or 593 seconds, so that's 38.09 lbs/sec or 2,285 lbs/min.  Track file is attached.  I tested several other planes a couple days ago (F-14B, F-16, F-18, and Harrier) and found all of them were just over 2,600 lbs/min.  If the F-15E refueled at 2,600 lbs/min, it should take about 8m41s to refuel, but it definitely takes longer than that.  If you land on fumes you almost might as well spawn a new one, because startup only takes about 4 mins... 🙂

F-15E refueling speed test.trk

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SlipHavoc said:

Regarding #1 only (rate of refueling), I tested this a couple days ago and again tonight, and I got 2,285 lbs/min.  Started with an empty, dry F-15E on the ramp, cold and dark.  Max internal fuel weight according to the Mission Editor is 22588 lbs.  On start, immediately went to comms menu, ground crew, rearm/refuel, selected 100% fuel.  Fueling started at about 19 seconds into the mission.  Fueling ended at about 10m12s.  That's 9m53s total, or 593 seconds, so that's 38.09 lbs/sec or 2,285 lbs/min.  Track file is attached.  I tested several other planes a couple days ago (F-14B, F-16, F-18, and Harrier) and found all of them were just over 2,600 lbs/min.  If the F-15E refueled at 2,600 lbs/min, it should take about 8m41s to refuel, but it definitely takes longer than that.  If you land on fumes you almost might as well spawn a new one, because startup only takes about 4 mins... 🙂

F-15E refueling speed test.trk 572.02 kB · 0 downloads

Screen_231026_022033.jpg

Screen_231026_022132.jpg

Two screenshots taken 1 min apart (see clock).  2600# difference.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Two screenshots taken 1 min apart (see clock).  2600# difference.

Hm.  And yet, it definitely takes almost 10 minutes to refuel 22,588 lbs, and not 8m41s.  So I took a screenshot every minute and here's the results:

Time - Fuel - Amount filled during last minute
0m - 200 - 0
1m - 2,800 - 2,600
2m - 5,400 - 2,600
3m - 8,000 - 2,600
4m - 10,600 - 2,600
5m - 13,100 - 2,500
6m - 15,000 - 1,900
7m - 16,900 - 1,900
8m - 18,700 - 1,800
9m - 20,600 - 1,900
10m - 22,400 - 1,800

Internal fuel is about 13,100 lbs, so it looks like it fills the internal fuel at 2,600 lbs/min, same as other airplanes, but it only fills the CFTs at 1,900 lbs/min.  So the average refueling rate ends up at around 2,300 lbs/min.  So the question is, should the CFTs fill that slow?  Or is that correct?

• Like 1

Just now, SlipHavoc said:

Thanks!  Not really an extremely high priority IMO, but just something that I've been curious about for a while, so it was interesting to run it down.  That said, it *would* be cool if the F-15E refueled at the same overall rate as everything else... 🙂

Well, keep in mind, that CFT difference saves you what...a minute + overall.  Not exactly anything that's gonna be a game changer.  That's IF I can find data on it one way or the other.

As I said, not really an extremely high priority.  But what can I say, I like saving time.  Also, the CFTs are used up first as far as I know, so unless you're running deep into the internal tanks, most of the time you're refueling, it's at the slower 1,900 lbs/min rate.