Using Hornet RPM as a Trigger/Single Player Only

AndyB

Hey Guys! Just found this out, thought it was pretty cool!

If you use the Condition, "X: Cockpit Indication Text Is Equal To" 

INDICATOR ID=5

ELEM NAME=txt_RPM_(L or R)

VALUE=(enter rpm number)

You can use the RPM of the Hornet to trigger any action! Like ending a mission on engine shut down, or playing a sound when the engine is shut down! 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Please, keep in mind that this trigger condition only works for single-player missions, it won't work for Multiplayer missions.

• Thanks 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• AndyB changed the title to Using Hornet RPM as a Trigger/Single Player Only
On 9/20/2023 at 7:46 AM, AndyB said:

Hey Guys! Just found this out, thought it was pretty cool!

If you use the Condition, "X: Cockpit Indication Text Is Equal To" 

INDICATOR ID=5

ELEM NAME=txt_RPM_(L or R)

VALUE=(enter rpm number)

You can use the RPM of the Hornet to trigger any action! Like ending a mission on engine shut down, or playing a sound when the engine is shut down! 

Is this unique to the F-18?

Either way, I could def see the utility of setting a wingman to initiate their cold start sequence once the player starts his engine to make sure the AI doesn't leave them behind...

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

36 minutes ago, Horns said:

Either way, I could def see the utility of setting a wingman to initiate their cold start sequence once the player starts his engine to make sure the AI doesn't leave them behind...

As far as I know yes, but I haven't tried other units, so I'm sure it's possible 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Horns said:

Yes - or let me put it slightly different:

If you query Indicator ID number 5's element that is named "txt_RPM_(L or R)" it is highly unlikely that such an element exists in any other plane except the Bug, and if it does exist, that it would mean the same thing for that plane. So a match would be coincidental, not planned. DCS unfortunately currently does not support a standardized method to access and read (much less write) to instruments, all models are individually crafted; instruments/indicators/systems do not follow a standardized naming scheme. Example: there is no standardized way to query the rpm of engine 1. You always have to code for a specific model type, and for most types accessing that information is impossible.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cfrag said:

Yes - or let me put it slightly different:

If you query Indicator ID number 5's element that is named "txt_RPM_(L or R)" it is highly unlikely that such an element exists in any other plane except the Bug, and if it does exist, that it would mean the same thing for that plane. So a match would be coincidental, not planned. DCS unfortunately currently does not support a standardized method to access and read (much less write) to instruments, all models are individually crafted; instruments/indicators/systems do not follow a standardized naming scheme. Example: there is no standardized way to query the rpm of engine 1. You always have to code for a specific model type, and for most types accessing that information is impossible.  

Thanks for the additional detail, I understand, I didn't have the vocab for it but I guess that's what I meant to ask

Edited by Horns
To speak Englisher

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)