Tank Engagement range broken

Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

Some ground units (specifically tested some of the WW2 tanks seem to be able to engage beyond their noted max range in the editor, further they seem to ignore the 'interception range' option.

here is the test setup:

image.png

Note that all the red tanks are set to interception range 15%, the blue tank is immortal and weapons hold and spawns 1 second after start to prevent potential issues with everything being there at start.

All of the red tanks engage the blue tank despite being set to 15% range and despite the blue tank being outside the red tank's denoted maximum range

I have attached the miz file to demonstrate this: engagementRangeBug.miz, just run it and watch

So i guess 2 issues here:
1) Either the units ranges are longer than they should be or the value assigned to generate the circles is too small so they don't match
and
2) Ground units don't seem to be respecting the interception range option

Edited by WirtsLegs
additional clarification
  • Like 1

I am not exactly sure why or what is happening in your example mission but I made my own similar version and it seems to work as intended. I spawn in target units at varying distances throughout this short mission. Please see attached.

Also If I am not mistaken the intercept range setting applies to SAM units only I believe and I have attached a further example mission showing that working as well. I have used setting of both 100% and 40%, I hope this helps. Cheers.

engagementRangeBugmymission2.miz testintercept.miz

• Like 1

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The first noted issue is that the tanks are engaging targets that are beyond their denoted maximum range (red circle on map in editor and f10), so a small issue but can be frustrating, either the circle is not being drawn large enough or the tanks range is longer than intended not sure

As for interception range, yes I've used it for SAM sites but given that it is available for groups with no AD units I figured the intent was to make that apply to all engagements by the group in question, if this is not the intent then that should be indicated somewhere, or ideally if that could be expanded as it would only give mission makers more control

• Like 1

• ED Team
  • Solution

Yes very interesting, the tanks are engaging outside a reasonable range for sure. 

I took control and while I could hit a tank... not easily, the AP did no damage as expected, the HE seemed weird, if it hit the ground it exploded as normal but if it hit the tank it didn't seem to explode, I am not sure it would be effective but it should still explode as normal. It's not far-fetched to expect a tank to work in a mobile artillery role, but not against other tanks. 

So I will report the engagements outside a viable range.

I will wait for that to be looked at before I report the interception range as that might be messing it up.  Although worth testing with other units until then.

I will ask about HE rounds seeming being duds if they hit a tank at long range. I need to test further.

Bonus report, I do not like the Binoculars 1) have all that fancy modern stuff in WWII tanks 2) seem to not remember where they are looking when I switch to the gun and back.

I'll leave this open for now. 

Also if you go into CA, and use the target help, it says the enemy tank is in range, I would think this should not be the case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 9/25/2023 at 9:42 PM, NineLine said:

Yes very interesting, the tanks are engaging outside a reasonable range for sure. 

I took control and while I could hit a tank... not easily, the AP did no damage as expected, the HE seemed weird, if it hit the ground it exploded as normal but if it hit the tank it didn't seem to explode, I am not sure it would be effective but it should still explode as normal. It's not far-fetched to expect a tank to work in a mobile artillery role, but not against other tanks. 

So I will report the engagements outside a viable range.

I will wait for that to be looked at before I report the interception range as that might be messing it up.  Although worth testing with other units until then.

I will ask about HE rounds seeming being duds if they hit a tank at long range. I need to test further.

Bonus report, I do not like the Binoculars 1) have all that fancy modern stuff in WWII tanks 2) seem to not remember where they are looking when I switch to the gun and back.

I'll leave this open for now. 

Also if you go into CA, and use the target help, it says the enemy tank is in range, I would think this should not be the case. 

great news ca is getting some attention , im really loving it and hoping our new server ww2adinfinitum , will use ca to make one of the most plausible dcs ww2 battlefield experiences yet ... i hope lol . cheers ... 

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/