MSAA & SSAA - Not working?

TomcatBall

Hello there, i have a strange behaviour and want to ask you guys here.
My DCS Settings are maxed out and i have still with 4K 100FPS average. I deactivated by mistake the MSAA and played DCS. Then i was looking something in the Settings, then i saw, that i was playing without MSAA at all. 🤨

Then i started some tests with MSAA 4X; MSAA 2X, MSAA OFF and the result was: I have now max FPS 180 (Theoretical 300) and i have exactly the same quality, does not matter if MSAA is completely OFF or ON. I did the same with SSAA. If MSAA and SSAA (1.5X, i can remember there it was possible to set to 2X, but its not available now!) are activated, i lose ca. 80 +/- FPS, without those i gain +/- 80FPS with the same graphics quality. What the heck is going on? Did i miss something?

I can remember in VR without MSAA, everything was blurred. For sure my nVidia Settings are maxed out, maybe DCS take the settings from nVidia. I am not complaining, i am now CPU bounded (before i was GPU bounded) and runs with the max FPS, it's very good thing, i have exactly the same graphics quality and everything looks sharp.

How is this possible? No need for MSAA any more? Can somebody test this and report here the result?

Thank you very much 💯

Edited by TomcatBall

It's possible you have an Nvidia Control Panel profile active that you forgot about?

It's weird there's no MSAA active at all, despite in 4K and depending on your screen size you might not even need it since it's probably crisp enough by resolution itself.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I’ve always found it necessary to run perhaps 4xAA in 4K to avoid seeing jaggies etc. Sure 4K is pretty sharp but not enough to go without AA. SSAA supersampling is a performance killer and frankly doesn’t add that much. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

vor 4 Stunden schrieb SharpeXB:

I’ve always found it necessary to run perhaps 4xAA in 4K to avoid seeing jaggies etc. Sure 4K is pretty sharp but not enough to go without AA. SSAA supersampling is a performance killer and frankly doesn’t add that much. 

I literally play since 3 days without MSAA and there is no "jaggies" as you wrote. Else i would use it again, i owned a 4090 GPU, so i don't worry about FPS. I did few tests with MSAA and without MSAA, there is no different between them. But ok, you might call my crazy, but it is how it is, at least in my case and just wanted to ask. 

9 minutes ago, TomcatBall said:

I literally play since 3 days without MSAA and there is no "jaggies" as you wrote. Else i would use it again, i owned a 4090 GPU, so i don't worry about FPS. I did few tests with MSAA and without MSAA, there is no different between them. But ok, you might call my crazy, but it is how it is, at least in my case and just wanted to ask. 

That seems strange, you should definitely be able to notice a difference. Try the Hornet Supercarrier Cold Start if you have that mission and look at the railings on the ship. Aliasing should definitely be apparent there. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

vor 17 Minuten schrieb SharpeXB:

That seems strange, you should definitely be able to notice a difference. Try the Hornet Supercarrier Cold Start if you have that mission and look at the railings on the ship. Aliasing should definitely be apparent there. 

This was the first thing i did LOL. I know this from VR experience, while i was busy with the settings. VR Without MSAA, the Supercarrier was not nice, especially the tower with all those wires and cables etc. Now in 2D it looks the same as with MSAA 4x. But ok, this seems to be a special thing in my case. Maybe this will disappear with the new upcoming update. Crazy shiet

Edited by TomcatBall

i can guarantee you that a) MSAA DOES work with 4K and b) it DOES add to the visual fidelity (most noticable with fine diagonal lines - for test you can e.g. look at the antenna array on the supercarrier.)

If you can't see a difference at all, MSAA either doesn't turn off at all, or doesn't turn on at all. I can't help you with the reason for it, but I can supply you with comparison pictures later (when I'm home) to prove the difference.

SSAA is a different animal. Because it works differently. And it is pretty much useless/ a performance hog in 4K. SS stands for Super Sampling.That means a scene is rendered in a higher resolution than displayed. That's the reason you aren't offered SSAA 2x with 4K in the first place.  

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Ramstein:

is this an ad for the 4090 or are you rubbing in our faces those of us with crappy video cards?

🤨 you are serious? Sorry because i mentioned rtx 4090. I lied to you guys. I have the 1070TI, i hope you are happy now. I deactivated MSAA because my 1070 cant handle it. Thank you very much 💯

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Hiob:

i can guarantee you that a) MSAA DOES work with 4K and b) it DOES add to the visual fidelity (most noticable with fine diagonal lines - for test you can e.g. look at the antenna array on the supercarrier.)

If you can't see a difference at all, MSAA either doesn't turn off at all, or doesn't turn on at all. I can't help you with the reason for it, but I can supply you with comparison pictures later (when I'm home) to prove the difference.

SSAA is a different animal. Because it works differently. And it is pretty much useless/ a performance hog in 4K. SS stands for Super Sampling.That means a scene is rendered in a higher resolution than displayed. That's the reason you aren't offered SSAA 2x with 4K in the first place.  

That would be nice to see 👍

Edited by TomcatBall

9 hours ago, TomcatBall said:

🤨 you are serious? Sorry because i mentioned rtx 4090. I lied to you guys. I have the 1070TI, i hope you are happy now. I deactivated MSAA because my 1070 cant handle it. Thank you very much 💯

That would be nice to see 👍

Somewhere those pictures are already here in the forum - IIRC in some benchmark thread. If I can't find them I will re-upload tonight, ok?

Edit: Found them:

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

i think my comment caught you the wrong way... I guess I should have just said wow! that's a fantastic video card if it didn't notice the speed bump of MSAA. please, don't think we think you lied.. that's just wrong. It was just a comment on the 4090.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR