Engines startup

Tancrede

Am I wrong, but I understood that during startup, it was need at the end of the procedure (when engines are running) to level by two step the "differential engines handler lever" to able the helicopter to work on its electric power.

The problem that it seems that this lever is active so I cannot move it. Is it normal?

I think you mean the condition levers for the engine. Those are not clickable, so you have to push "page up" or "page down" to move them.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• ED Team

... or assign axes for them.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

is it a legit maneuver to use the condition levers for reducing height instead of using the collective and trying to keep speed with the cyclic ? would a real pilot do that ?

if not, what are the other real-life maneuvers a pilot would use the condition levers for ?

is it a legit maneuver to use the condition levers for reducing height instead of using the collective and trying to keep speed with the cyclic ?

No.

would a real pilot do that ?

No.

if not, what are the other real-life maneuvers a pilot would use the condition levers for ?

In the event of an engine failure, you would increase the condition lever for the operating engine from AUTO to EMERGENCY.

During engine governor testing, including the free turbine overspeed, gas generator overspeed, and temperature limiter tests (all modeled in the game, by the way), you need to move the throttle levers to various positions.

During startup, you need to run the engines at IDLE until the oil temperature for both engines is at least 30 degrees and the main gearbox is at least -15 degrees before advancing the throttle levers to AUTO. (Damage from ignoring this is not modeled at this time, as far as I know.)

During shutdown, for the health of the engines, you need to allow the engines to cool down after you park but before you shut them off. This cooldown period is 1 to 2 minutes during the summer, and 2 to 3 minutes during the winter. Temperature ranges expected during each season are not defined, but basically the colder it is, the longer you should let the engines cool at IDLE before shutdown. (Damage from ignoring this is not modeled at this time, as far as I know.)

I havnt seen this switch, will have to look for it because i often want to decend faster without picking up too much forward speed.

The switch is on the collective, so you'll have to map it to your joystick or use the keyboard shortcut (which I do not remember offhand). It's the nominal and low free turbine speed switch. During a long descent, it's used to allow you to let out more collective without bringing up your rotor speed too high. Normally, it should remain in the nominal position as it will drop your rotor RPM from the usual 89% to around 83% (if i am remembering correctly).

• ED Team
is it a legit maneuver to use the condition levers for reducing height instead of using the collective and trying to keep speed with the cyclic ? would a real pilot do that ?

I can only add that there is a notch between IDLE and AUTO named SG FAILURE (Speed governor I mean). Sometimes the cable from the power turbine to fuel governor get broken (it is really rotating cable as mechanical car speed gauges have) and in this case the governor considers that the turbine is too slow :) and steam up the engine up to takeoff power rating. The whole regulator function thus going up and rotor can be overreved. To avoid it the regulator function of the engine with working governor must be decreased moving its lever to this notch.

Both levers to idle is used when autorotation practice is performed.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me