Replacing Mini-Stick on STEC Standard

Rocky49

I am really struggling with the mini stick on my STEC throttle I can not make it work properly and feel it is the shape of the hat that is the main problem.  Anybody know where I can buy a different shaped hat.  I know there are print files available out there but I don't use that technology 

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Hi,

The basic hat is useless and you have no chance of precise targeted movement.

It's strange that you don't find out such an important thing in the reviews.

Fortunately, there is a solution with a 3D printed model created, an exact hats replica of the MCG-U hat compatible with the ministick.

With the new shape hat, you can achieve 99% accuracy. 😄

Source from the handy creator John5:

https://www.printables.com/cs/model/597001-vkb-stecs-mcg-u-hat-button-cap-pack-v10/files

screenshot-2023-09-28-191429.webp

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Petsild:  I did read the reviews and most said they didn't like the hat shape but seemed to get used to it.  I have not gotten used to it.  Also, as I said, I don't have a printer to do those files. 

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I was looking for that option on there website but could not find any reference to it.

I have opened a ticket and submitted a request.  I guess we will see 😀

I have opened a ticket and submitted a request.  I guess we will see 😀

So VKB said that the MCG parts are not intended for use on the STEC.  I did find a local guy to print the hats created by John5.  I"ll let you know how it goes

I went with the Castle style hat and must say it makes it a lot easier to use.  Just have to have a few hours of using it to get some muscle memory working😀

Replacement hat.jpg

• Like 1

I like the Castle style because I can easily determine directions while moving the throttle forward and back

• 3 months later...
On 10/6/2023 at 12:53 PM, petsild said:

Hi,

The basic hat is useless and you have no chance of precise targeted movement.

It's strange that you don't find out such an important thing in the reviews.

Fortunately, there is a solution with a 3D printed model created, an exact hats replica of the MCG-U hat compatible with the ministick.

With the new shape hat, you can achieve 99% accuracy. 😄

Source from the handy creator John5:

https://www.printables.com/cs/model/597001-vkb-stecs-mcg-u-hat-button-cap-pack-v10/files

You are my hero!  Time to fire up the old Prusa and print the whole collection!

I just wrote a 'Second Impressions' review and the TDC is still the number one gripe.  I ended up using a 5 way hat as a backup TDC; between the two I can usually get the job done, but DCSs hypersensitivity to TDC movement certainly doesn't help.

I would agree that it is very difficult in DCS to set up a smooth response for the control of the TDC

7 minutes ago, Rocky49 said:

I would agree that it is very difficult in DCS to set up a smooth response for the control of the TDC

Bit like a Jack Russel terrier that got into a bag of espresso beans.  Add it to the list.

• Like 1

Got the full set printed, picked the one I thought I was most likely to like, cleaned it up, got it installed (total of five hours after I found out about them; three and a half to print, another half to cool off and clean up, an hour to get the printer going with all of them on the plate).

Then I set the curves to something really insane, like 40.  Night and day; maybe I'll get used to that TDC.  At least I don't get epileptic seizures watching it flit across the MFD!    🙃

👍

On 2/13/2024 at 8:13 AM, Flаnker said:

I think this is the most comfortable form of hat.

IMG_20240209_225201.jpg.f43f721084628359f2bff4c86e83afb1.jpg

The quality of the 3D printing is luxurious, but the hat should be turned 90 degrees. 🙂

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

24 минуты назад, petsild сказал:

The quality of the 3D printing is luxurious, but the hat should be turned 90 degrees. 🙂

Hello. Photopolymer printing was used. I don't have a 3D printer - I ordered a print. For some reason, my other hats did not fit into the place to install them. This option seemed very convenient to me (specifically with the vertical position of this hat)

I had to slightly file the attachment point to make mine fit.