The range of drive beacon is too big

Vlad_Mig

Hello,

I too am seeing anomalies from Marker beacons and RSBN beacons since the 2.9 update. I note the activation range of the marker beacon for Kutaisi is about 1.25 KM per radius, and it triggers the lamp and buzzer while on the runway. I believe that is similar to the OP report.

After 2.9 update, while flying online, my maximum range for RSBN reception is only 20-25KM. That did not happen in 2.8x. My offline 2.9 testing shows no trouble with RSBN reception, either, only while online.

Just wanted to note that I could make the Marker beacon work correctly again after subtracting a bit of altitude from the beacon position in the Beacons.lua. After doing so, the marker detection range is decreased and the lamp and buzzer only activate while flying over the beacon, and not while on the runway at Kutaisi, as it did in 2.8.

The marker bug is both online and offline and probably a new terrain mesh thing.

Ah, so that's why my marker alarm was beeping seemingly for ages. Definitely a regression here. I also noticed it while landing on Mozdok in any of the training missions.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

I have a question about this feature: is that only supposed to work with Caucasus? And if so, why?

OK, it seems Caucasus is the only terrain with inner and outer DBs.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Technically, I'm not sure how the marker signal is triggered - but if I understand the plane/manual correctly, it is a different receiver (MRP-56P), separate from (and/or additional to) NDB system. Marker transmitters just happen to be placed with the outer/inner NDB beacons. If both are available, they both send a sound, just different. Demonstration video:

That said, I haven't heard a marker on the ground yet - but this may be a concrete NDB/marker/aerodrome thing.

Edited by virgo47
  • Thanks 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

Marker beacons are separate from NDBs, but they're usually colocated, this is known as locator outer/inner marker. It makes sense to have them both in the same installation. There are two different radio signals in such case, markers are narrow and standardized, while NDBs radiate all around and broadcast their ID code.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Marker beacons are separate from NDBs, but they're usually colocated, this is known as locator outer/inner marker. It makes sense to have them both in the same installation. There are two different radio signals in such case, markers are narrow and standardized, while NDBs radiate all around and broadcast their ID code.

That's how I understand it too, thanks. Talking about how Caucasus-specific markers are... I don't know whether Western planes have anything similar, but F-15C makes no sound over the same beacons, so I guess not. I guess it's an Eastern standard helping with landing, on Nevada and PG map there are no NDBs and no markers (so it seems). There are some in Syria, though. You can clearly hear the marker tone when landing to Damascus from the east (over the NDB).

Actually, the US and Canada also use this system, or they used it, at any rate. Those beacons, or similar were around from the very beginnings of jet airliners. In fact, there were once fan markers that used the same frequency as the inner marker, that marked red airways across the US. In DCS timeframe it should still be pretty ubiquitous at the airfields, though airway markers were, for most part, long gone by then (airways themselves are still on the charts).

I don't know why the F-15 doesn't have this, and if this is realistic. IIRC, the Viper does have this system, but it'll just light up a single "marker" light and play an appropriate tone. It might not be implemented in NTTR because that specific area didn't have the system, or it has been removed by the time the map was made and the devs didn't know the beacons were supposed to be there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...