Mach speed indicator off

RocketmanAL
Go to solution Solved by Skuva,

The Mach number portion of the speedometer appears to be off. It is showing a higher Mach number than the aircraft is actually flying according to TAS. 

Steps to replicate:

Add SU-25T and set it to start at M= .8, 20kft, TAS should be 496 kts.

Jumping in the plane it shows the plane at M= .92. Indicated M=.8 occurs around 432 kts.

1 hour ago, RocketmanAL said:

The Mach number portion of the speedometer appears to be off. It is showing a higher Mach number than the aircraft is actually flying according to TAS. 

Steps to replicate:

Add SU-25T and set it to start at M= .8, 20kft, TAS should be 496 kts.

Jumping in the plane it shows the plane at M= .92. Indicated M=.8 occurs around 432 kts.

Mach speed changes with air temperature, air pressure and humidity too. I hope you have taken these into account too.

My skins

4 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

Mach speed changes with air temperature, air pressure and humidity too. I hope you have taken these into account too.

I checked multiple different aircraft as part of testing I'm doing. Same altitude, same speed, same mission. The SU-25T was the only one to have a different TAS at M= .8.

• Solution

I think the confusion is that the inside numbers on the 25's indicator are not Mach.

The indicator on the Su-25 (A and T) gives IAS and TAS

image.png

While the indicator on Su-27/33 gives IAS and Mach

image.png

Edited by Skuva
  • Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 9:33 PM, RocketmanAL said:

I checked multiple different aircraft as part of testing I'm doing. Same altitude, same speed, same mission. The SU-25T was the only one to have a different TAS at M= .8.

Just curious. Where are you getting the Mach number from? Neither the Su-25 nor the Su-25T has a Mach meter.

If I start at 20,000 ft in either the Su-25T or the Su-27 with the Mach set to 0.8 in the ME, I get identical TAS numbers.

Mach Test.miz

Edited by Ironhand
Added: "in the ME" for clarity
  • Like 2

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.