Virtual Desktop now has a beta build live with OpenXR support. No steamVR or link necessary for OpenXRtoolkit etc on Quest/Pico headsets.

MoleUK

I HIGHLY recommend anyone on a Quest/Pico headset revisit VD now if they have tried it previously and not stuck with it.

The performance implications are fairly significant. No link overhead. Other than reprojection, VD is now superior to link in just about every aspect, imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll add some pointers to get started. If you installed the previous "standalone beta 0.6.0", you should uninstall it from Add or remove programs first. Instead grab the latest Virtual Desktop from your app store (1.29.7.).

ACTIVATING VDXR

Make sure VDXR is selected as the OpenXR runtime in the Virtual Desktop settings.

TROUBLESHOOTING

If all is working well, you will see VXDR as the runtime in the Virtual: Desktop overlay:

VDXR should be compatible with all my other OpenXR mods (such as OpenXR Toolkit and Quad View Foveated). If you are having issues, just do the usual: try Safe Mode, resetting settings, or disabling any mod.

Log file for VDXR is created at %ProgramData%\Virtual Desktop (you can copy/paste that directly into File Explorer) and is called OpenXR.log. If you’re going to bring issues to me, you must include this file otherwise no support will be provided.

Does it work with other apps? YES, see the list here: Application Compatibility · mbucchia/VirtualDesktop-OpenXR Wiki (github.com) 

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Thx for that!

All the way from the back of the class...

Does this add any value for stand alone (Quest) users? Or merely for Steam(Vr) users? 
As a Quest2 + non-Steam user, I can ditch any Quest-link already, and solely depend on VD alone. So I'm not sure what this would improve for me.

Edited by Vandaahl

Hey there using a Meta Quest 3 and for some reason when installing VD Beta and starting DCS MT my headset turns black. I hear music from VD and on PC DCS is opened but not streamed to my headset. Do i still need to have steam vr or oculus to launch the game? I deinstalled steam vr to see if this will work but it didn´t i´am a little confused how to make this work. I lhope some of you can help me out.

In order to make it work on my end, I have to execute DCS from the streamer app on the PC. So right click the little streamer app logo on the task bar, and chose execute... select the DCS shortcut from the desktop and you should be on your way.

Mind you, I'm using the stand alone version, not the steam DCS version.

Edited by Vandaahl
  • Thanks 1

DCS running on VD has always been a stutter fest for me, whether it's Oculus runtime, or this VDXR iteration. Does any one know what's up? Everything with Airlink and Link cable works fine with no stutter.

Network and everything is running well according to VD's debug dialog - except for game part is reporting on 28ms of lag with yellow text. I have a 5800x3d/4090 system, so it's not from lack of horsepower, and as mentioned before, Airlink and Link cable works just fine.

I would love to use VD as the UI is vastly better than Oculus home.

vor 43 Minuten schrieb Vandaahl:

In order to make it work on my end, I have to execute DCS from the streamer app on the PC. So right click the little streamer app logo on the task bar, and chose execute... select the DCS shortcut from the desktop and you should be on your way.

Mind you, I'm using the stand alone version, not the steam DCS version.

That´s exactly how i tried to do it but for some reason it doesn´t work for me. I too use the standalone version.

1 hour ago, recoilfx said:

DCS running on VD has always been a stutter fest for me, whether it's Oculus runtime, or this VDXR iteration. Does any one know what's up? Everything with Airlink and Link cable works fine with no stutter.

Network and everything is running well according to VD's debug dialog - except for game part is reporting on 28ms of lag with yellow text. I have a 5800x3d/4090 system, so it's not from lack of horsepower, and as mentioned before, Airlink and Link cable works just fine.

I would love to use VD as the UI is vastly better than Oculus home.

Stutter can mean a couple of things, but in my case it was AWS not working (correctly). Set the streamer to a 90hz output, but lock the FPS in your NVidea DCS settings to 45 FPS. After that, force AWS to always enabled in VD. On my end, VD started to nicely fill in the blanks frames, while my GPU has an easy life while being locked at 45 FPS.

1 hour ago, Mr Wave Off said:

That´s exactly how i tried to do it but for some reason it doesn´t work for me. I too use the standalone version.

But you mentioned you uninstalled steamVr to see if it would work, why did you even had steamVr installed with the stand alone version + a Quest headset? Afaik, you don't need steamVr at all. Or am I missing something?

If your screen turns black you seem to be almost there. Did you have a working VD implementation while using the release version? (so not this beta)

vor einer Stunde schrieb Vandaahl:

But you mentioned you uninstalled steamVr to see if it would work, why did you even had steamVr installed with the stand alone version + a Quest headset? Afaik, you don't need steamVr at all. Or am I missing something?

If your screen turns black you seem to be almost there. Did you have a working VD implementation while using the release version? (so not this beta)

First i installed VD non beta but it wouldn´t launch dcs world on headset without steam vr. Then i installed steam VR too and i could play in VR. Then i started to search for ways tweaking settings and read about that OpenXR could give better performance so i installed OpenXR Toolkit Companion App and added --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR to the DCS Desktop shortcut path.

I deinstalled steam vr to see if i could start DCS without steam vr but it would result into same problem i´am facing now. I reinstalled steam vr and thought ok without it it seems not possible.

Today i stumbled over this Thread and i decided to give it a try with the beta version of virtual desktop but it´s the same problem again.

Edited by Mr Wave Off

Strange I dont have all that. I bought a Quest2 2 weeks back, installed VD on the headset, the streamer on the PC and was underway. I dont have the toolkit nor any force option in the DCS shortcut. I don't have the oculus client running when I run VD, nor link or airlink enabled, just the service. I don't even dare to touch steamVr with a ten foot pole 😄

Oh, one tip, I used fraps to see what happened. SSW did half my FPS, but the result was not smooth. Basically, I didn't see a difference between auto and always enabled, I had to do that myself with the nvidia settings. Auto caused all kind of lag, stutters and anomalies I don't like. I rather have it constantly doing its thing, than going yolo as it sees fit. So with the FPS locked at 45 AND SSW enebled, its buttery smooth.

These are my headset settings:

image.png

This is the streamer:

image.png

And my NVidia settings:
image.png

Hope that helps

Edited by Vandaahl

22 hours ago, MoleUK said:

VD is now superior to link in just about every aspect

Really? I tried VD a week ago. I wasn't impressed. Sparklies that seemed to track eye movement. Probably other issues too. Stutters perhaps. Link just works for me. I'm on a Quest Pro. I'd be interested to hear what other Quest Pro users think.

vor 42 Minuten schrieb Vandaahl:

Strange I dont have all that. I bought a Quest2 2 weeks back, installed VD on the headset, the streamer on the PC and was underway. I dont have the toolkit nor any force option in the DCS shortcut. I don't have the oculus client running when I run VD, nor link or airlink enabled, just the service. I don't even dare to touch steamVr with a ten foot pole 😄

Oh, one tip, I used fraps to see what happened. SSW did not half my FPS somehow. As I didn't see a difference between auto and always enabled, I had to do that myself with the nvidia settings. Auto caused all kind of lag, stutters and anomalies I don't like. I rather have it constantly doing its thing, than going yolo as it sees fit. 

These are my headset settings:

image.png

This is the streamer:

image.png

And my NVidia settings:
image.png

Hope that helps

Ok that´s odd because i couldn´t start it the way you described so i searched google and all mentioned either steam vr or oculus app in combination with VD.

Does the preferred Codec option in desktop streamer somehow play a role? I choose AV1 10bit as my GPU is a amd 7800xt and as far as i know it supports this codec on the other hand how can this be the source for the problem as it seems to work fine when steam vr runs too. I feel like i´am in a Maze trying to find the solution.

Well, my VD streamer did hang a couple of times yesterday, causing a freezed image in the headset, while the game happily jogged on. Since I switched to one of the faster codecs, not anymore. Not sure if its really a fix, but I keep it where it is for now since it performce nicely.

I've been flying about on Marianna's in the warbirds on a steady 45 fps. I noticed the mozzy didn't keep it at 35, an F16 dropped it to 40, so I'm not there yet. But coming from a CV1, this is a breath of fresh air.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Vandaahl:

Well, my VD streamer did hang a couple of times yesterday, causing a freezed image in the headset, while the game happily jogged on. Since I switched to one of the faster codecs, not anymore. Not sure if its really a fix, but I keep it where it is for now since it performce nicely.

I've been flying about on Marianna's in the warbirds on a steady 45 fps. I noticed the mozzy didn't keep it at 35, an F16 dropped it to 40, so I'm not there yet. But coming from a CV1, this is a breath of fresh air.

I just deinstalled openxr toolkit and removed the forcevr/openxr command from the shortcut. Tried other codec but still the same problem. 

The headset turns black, music from VD is played the game on desktop opens up. I have to close VD from Meta desktop because i can´t open the VD menu, when i restart VD it´ll be stuck in dark with no menu but music playing.

I then have to end desktop streamer on pc and via taskmanager manually close all virtual desktop related tasks as they don´t seem to close by themselves when closing on pc and headset. After all that done i can enter virtual desktop again.

I´m lost i think the only way for now is to do the steam vr/VD combo until i find a solution anywhere. I myself can´t wrap my head arround this strange problem.

40 minutes ago, Mr Wave Off said:

I just deinstalled openxr toolkit and removed the forcevr/openxr command from the shortcut. Tried other codec but still the same problem. 

The headset turns black, music from VD is played the game on desktop opens up. I have to close VD from Meta desktop because i can´t open the VD menu, when i restart VD it´ll be stuck in dark with no menu but music playing.

I then have to end desktop streamer on pc and via taskmanager manually close all virtual desktop related tasks as they don´t seem to close by themselves when closing on pc and headset. After all that done i can enter virtual desktop again.

I´m lost i think the only way for now is to do the steam vr/VD combo until i find a solution anywhere. I myself can´t wrap my head arround this strange problem.

If the VD version running on your headset is from the Quest store and not from the Steam store, than I'm out of ideas, sry.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Vandaahl:

If the VD version running on your headset is from the Quest store and not from the Steam store, than I'm out of ideas, sry.

I changed Codec to 264+, disabled Use optimal resolution and increased streaming bitrate to 300 something, SSW always enabled, Snapdragon Game super Resolution enabled. One of these changes caused the game now to be streamed to headset i guess it must be the codec and therefore the higher possible streamingbitrate. 

At least i can launch it now but i still encounter some awkward problems when flying. When i move my head fast while flying i get kind of big black artifacts and it takes a few seconds for the picture to return to normal, when moving the head slowly it´s kind of ok. My latency is quite high in the 60s sometimes higher and the ingame latency jumps all over from 27 to 100 randomly. 

I´am sorry for bothering but im new to VR and i don´t know much about tweaking for performance so any suggestion would be much appreciated.

System: CPU: AMD 7800x3d,

GPU: AMD 7800xt

RAM: 32 GB 6000

Storage: Nvme.2 ssd Samsung 970 Pro

Headset: Meta Quest 3

Can someone more familiar with VD explain how this works so well. Like everyone else I have been spending days tweaking my settings to try and find something I like. I literally fired up this new VD beta, set it to Godlike and ramped all the sliders right and I open DCS to find comparitively crystal clear visuals compared to link cable, silky smooth frames and almost no visual artifacts that I can discern so far.

Worth noting that I previously had reset everything to baseline and was running my Quest 3 with a 1.3PD in DCS itself on a 4090. I intentionally turned the PD back to a baseline of 1.0 before starting VD and it is an order of magnitude better already.

Can I assume that the VD graphics settings adjust a PD of their own?

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

1 hour ago, Mr Wave Off said:

I´am sorry for bothering but im new to VR and i don´t know much about tweaking for performance so any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Oh thats ok 🙂
Its just that I'm pretty new to this kind of VR as well so I'm far from an expert.

Those artefacts seem to be the areas out of view that aren't rendered, but need to be rendered when you turn your head. So the higher the latency your wireless contection is suffering from the bigger those artifacts are. I see them as well, but I really have to start a horizontal headbang in order to make them obvious. I'm sitting right infront of a dedicated WiFi6 access point with only one cient, my Quest2 headset. 

I would reduce bitrate since:
image.png
...increases quality AND latency. Latency is delay and not a good thing, so I would of phrased that line in a different way.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Vandaahl:

Oh thats ok 🙂
Its just that I'm pretty new to this kind of VR as well so I'm far from an expert.

Those artefacts seem to be the areas out of view that aren't rendered, but need to be rendered when you turn your head. So the higher the latency your wireless contection is suffering from the bigger those artifacts are. I see them as well, but I really have to start a horizontal headbang in order to make them obvious. I'm sitting right infront of a dedicated WiFi6 access point with only one cient, my Quest2 headset. 

image.png
...increases quality AND latency. Latency is delay and not a good thing, so I would of phrased that line in a different way.

Oh ok that´s interesting, i´ll give it a shot. Thank you big time for the tip.

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Vandaahl:

Oh thats ok 🙂

image.png

Lower bitrate seem to have improved the artifacting issue a little but it´s still there. I went down from 300 to 100. I also encountered heavy framedrops, microstuttering, judder and jittering. Latency jumping up and down like crazy is also a thing.

I feel like vd in combo with steam vr gave at least an overall smooth experience while flying and didn´t had the issues i encounter via VD only. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Wave Off said:

Lower bitrate seem to have improved the artifacting issue a little but it´s still there. I went down from 300 to 100. I also encountered heavy framedrops, microstuttering, judder and jittering. Latency jumping up and down like crazy is also a thing.

Yes, I mentioned having the same issues at first. Going 1 step back when flying 20 steps forward. Did you install fraps to look at what happens with the framerate?
Remember, I locked my framerate at half the hrz VD is using to SSW in NVidia settings, but since you have an AMD GPU, you have to find a way to do the same on your AMD card.

31 minutes ago, Mr Wave Off said:

I feel like vd in combo with steam vr gave at least an overall smooth experience while flying and didn´t had the issues i encounter via VD only. 

Could well be this is the case on your end. We both have different systems, so it could indeed be you're convicted to use SteamVr, where I have to use openComposite, or stuff like that. I can tell you how I fixed my stutters, in the hope it fixes yours, but it might not 🙂

Edited by Vandaahl