Help with new anti-aliasing modes

DmitriKozlowsky

19 minutes ago, draconus said:

No, DLAA blurs the image on its own.

There is sharpening slider and it's advised to use it along with DLAA/DLSS. I doubt TAA will be netter but MSAA can have some advantages - it's always a  compromise: quality vs performance.

Yeah I guess DLAA is a little softer than MSAA. I’m using 4K so maybe it’s hard to tell 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

23 minutes ago, Czar66 said:

DLSS hurts a ton on image quality and target identification, but I'd guess is for 4k resolutions. It is an upscalling method with temporal qualities that also induces ghosting.

DLAA is a temporal anti aliasing similar to TAA and does not upscale from a lower resolution than the current you've set on options. I'm running at 1080p and it is my preferred anti aliasing to any other. Less jagged edges than 4x MSAA with 30 to 50% better performance (guessing, but it is substantial) as it performs like 0x MSAA or MSAA off.

The trade off from DLAA is ghosting. Some cockpit displays can display moderate to high level of ghosting but not in the same magnitude as DLSS, which can make cursors on radar screens or similar to completely vanish. DLAA can make it difficult to see blinking elements on cockpit screens like the F-14 TWS designation on bandits which are displayed as blinking as well as Phoenix going pitbull displayed as blinking second to impact numbers next to the contacts.

My squadmate found DLAA with a certain degree of sharpness better than using MSAA for target spotting and ID. Sharpness at 0 is never recommended with temporal methods, though. Non exagerated sharpness values and no artifacts from it.

Yes you right - sharpness 0.25 with DLAA fixing image but can we say that DLAA definitely worth it with ghosting compared with MSAA x4 and what is the difference in FPS in high loaded scenes so?

I find DLAA with .4 sharpening looks really nice. It eliminates the jaggies or crawling and flickering that can be seen with MSAA x4. I’m running 2160x3840 with DLSS Off. I don’t see any smearing and distant aircraft are easily seen at up to 6 miles without the spotting dots. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

19 hours ago, п-к В НАТУРЕ said:

Yes you right - sharpness 0.25 with DLAA fixing image but can we say that DLAA definitely worth it with ghosting compared with MSAA x4 and what is the difference in FPS in high loaded scenes so?

So, ok here is how I've got my settings:

(MULTI THREADED EXE) locked fps for frame time consistency.

I used MSAA at 4x all the way until 2.9 came. I prefer DLAA as I can crank up the graphics and keep above 40fps in Marianas at any place on the islands and any altitude with a RTX 3060 12gb VRAM. The worst case scenario is Huey free flight on Marianas map, flying towards the middle of the island you spawn on and I used that scenario to gauge my graphics modifications.

[(1080p - RTX 3060 - i5 10400 - 64gb RAM) CPU is not a factor on performance in this scenario]

MSAA 4x with max shadows, ground shadows to FLAT, ultra visibility range with decent ground object details. The FPS would go bellow 35.
DLAA with max shadows, ground shadows to FLAT, ultra visibility range with decent ground object details. The FPS can go higher than 45, perhaps higher than 50 but I didn't let it go unlocked so I don't have the data for max fps.

At other maps, the FPS can easily go above 80 or even 100.

So I keep the sim at 40fps locked in 2d and it NEVER drop any frame and I usually host co-op scenarios with a friend with 300+ units on the map. 20+ AI planes flying (conservative estimate as it can go above 30 easily). It doesn't matter where I fly, the fps is rock solid on this setup.

No fps drops on carrier with statics either.

For anywhere in Marianas map on ramps, keep forest detail factor at 80%.

Spotting wise I think is better than 4x MSAA as that setting still have jagged edges. With DLAA with the correct sharpness setting to your setup, you'll be able to see it easier the wings shape of a plane without the pixels steps MSAA still can let through. There will be still some ghosting but only very close and minimal.

The main gains I perceived DLAA against 4x MSAA was the absence of jagged edges on 3d shapes at any distance including cockpit and the raw performance gain.

Edited by Czar66

I've just upgraded to a new computer, 7800x3d, 4080, 32GB RAM 6000 so first thing was to test a little with the new settings. I use a Quest2. It was a fast test with the Harrier low over populated areas on Caucasus to test MFD crispiness and  and instant action dogfight with the F14 vs Mig29 to test ghosting. My experience was:

-Base line, all AA OFF. Quest2 resolution in OTT 1.8 and AWS off. At that resolution the cockpit instruments are crystal clear and crisp, some jagged edges on external objects, coast lines, clouds... not too bad for me. Very clear shimmering on 3D objects over the terrain, that was the most negative point. The smoothness was amazing, the first time in 5 years with VR that I had a BFM merge totally free of ghosting 

-DLAA ON, all shimmering gone, jagged edges gone. MFDs perfectly legible. The visuals were amazing, monitor-like quality. But the hit in performance was clear, the total smoothness was gone and there were some ghosting in the merge.

-MSAAx2, bit more jagged edges that DLAA and a bit less performance hit.

-TAA ON, visually like DLAA, amazing, no shimmering even on the net fences of the airports. MFDs perfectly legible. And the performance hit was minimal! I thought I had a winner, but then I tried the dogfight and noticed that the contacts appear and disappear constantly, impossible to fly BFM, no go.

It was not an exhaustive test but just a first impressions. I don't want to give up any smoothness so I may swallow the shimmering and keep flying with all AA OFF. Maybe tinker a little with the settings to try to get MSAAx2 totally smooth. It's a pity that TAA smooths out visual contacts, I don't know if that can be fixed with some of the other settings.

The positive thing is that I'm almost there to achieve monitor-like quality in VR, to see for first time free of ghosting or shimmering was really amazing  

• Like 1