Issues

dburne

I am putting this here as it really is not a question seeking help but just a statement. 

I am getting so frustrated of late, I have been flying DCS since the original stand alone KA-50 was released. Here lately I swear I have spent more hours troubleshooting than flying my favorite game. Mostly only game I play. This is getting to be not much fun.

I will persevere a little longer and hope for much better days ahead.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• dburne changed the title to Issues

Happiness is the art of the possible, my respected friend. 🙏

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I'm having a good time flying around and sometimes blowing the living **** out of things. I often just fly for the fun of it because I like flying and the sim looks nice and the jets - and the ka-50 of course - are really cool. The other flightsims leave me cold. DCS is just more fun and feels better.

I think you are much more of a hard core flyer than me. I'm more in the sandbox just farting around, so I probably don't have t deal with the issues you do.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I've been playing this since it's spiritual predecessor was called 'Flanker', and to me, it's never been better. As it's scope continually expands, the issues do too, I get what you're saying - it's like a permanent work in progress, BUT: when you look at the breadth of it all, and what it can do now, it is an INCREDIBLE piece of software. It helps to focus on the bits that work, and are fully fleshed out of course, it can feel like a permanent construction zone otherwise, true, but still........I stick with 'never been better' (helps that I have just bought a new PC)

Edited by ARM505

6 hours ago, dburne said:

I am putting this here as it really is not a question seeking help but just a statement. 

I am getting so frustrated of late, I have been flying DCS since the original stand alone KA-50 was released. Here lately I swear I have spent more hours troubleshooting than flying my favorite game. Mostly only game I play. This is getting to be not much fun.

I will persevere a little longer and hope for much better days ahead.

If by troubleshooting you mean "trying to find the most optimal performance/gfx quality balance", I can only advise you to just stop looking at the fps counter.

I've done my share of settings tinkering myself, trying out new gfx and Nvidia settings with each update and various shader mods, to get those fps numbers up to the level I wanted them to be. At some point I realized half my DCS playtime went into software and hardware tweaking...

So I decided to just give up on some eye candy and, from that point on, completely stopped looking at that fps counter and just go fly. I'm sure since time went by, my average fps are now way lower than the 45 where I previously tried to keep em on, but I just accept the occasional stutter. The flying gives me so much more joy than the constant tweaking.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

6 hours ago, ARM505 said:

I've been playing this since it's spiritual predecessor was called 'Flanker', and to me, it's never been better. As it's scope continually expands, the issues do too, I get what you're saying - it's like a permanent work in progress, BUT: when you look at the breadth of it all, and what it can do now, it is an INCREDIBLE piece of software. It helps to focus on the bits that work, and are fully fleshed out of course, it can feel like a permanent construction zone otherwise, true, but still........I stick with 'never been better' (helps that I have just bought a new PC)

I also started with Flanker 1.0. It was major fun, and didn't require much messing around with settings. I'm sympathetic to the OP despite all of the eye candy bells and whistles we have now. Maybe if I bought a new PC ...

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I flown this back and forth since Lock on came out 

before that Falcon. But I always preferred ww2 until lately. DCS choppers are absolutely the best ever time thief there is. 
I run open beta and has been remarkable without issues software wise. 
Compared to msfs 2020 this is a breeze. 

1 hour ago, LuseKofte said:

Compared to msfs 2020 this is a breeze. 

Setting up the controls in MSFS is a hot mess! I can't stand it. And so it sits there mostly unused.

DCS, on the other hand, is so straightforward with control settings. It's lovely. There are lots of things I have yet to figure out in DCS, but I never feel like the sim is fighting against me. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!