Not enough lift after 2.9

Emme
Go to solution Solved by Hiob,

Anyone else noticing issues with the Apache not being able to gain enough lift?

When flying missions I often find myself in situations where the Apache can not gain enough lift anymore. For example I'm in a manual hover @95%-100% rotary power, but the Apache just refuses to lift up.

Using standard loadout: 8x AGM-L - 1200x 30mm rounds - 2x hydra rocket-launchers - 100% fuel

Before 2.9 I never had any issues in getting enough lift with that setup.

A TrackFile will be uploaded later today.

• Solution

I can’t comment on the difference to the old version. But that is for sure a maximum weight configuration that would rarely be used in RL and certainly not in high elevation and hot air conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

"Using standard loadout: 8x AGM-L - 1200x 30mm rounds - 2x hydra rocket-launchers - 100% fuel" 
-That is max load.
In less than optimal weather/temp/baro pressure conditions, you'll soon run into lift challenges.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

100% fuel is a bit much with the weapon load out, I think.

Even before 2.9 I didn‘t load more than 70% fuel on Caucasus map….with this weapon config

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

It's just that I never had any issues with the setup, but maybe it's just modeled more accurate now than it was before. Ok, so I'll just have to adapt to this and lower my weight then.

Anyways, thank you guys for the quick replies. o7

10 minutes ago, Emme said:

It's just that I never had any issues with the setup, but maybe it's just modeled more accurate now than it was before. Ok, so I'll just have to adapt to this and lower my weight then.

Anyways, thank you guys for the quick replies. o7

Perhaps the weight of some armament wasn’t taken into account before. You can take a look at your gross weight in the mission editor or rearming window.

I think that especially the 1200 rounds for the gun is not seen so much in RL action. At least not in combination with fully equipped hardpoints.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Lima's are also heavier than Kilo's hellfire. And the US Apache has less powerful engines than thae UK one, reason why they often didn't mount the FCR. Was is on you heli ?

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Zarma said:

And the US Apache has less powerful engines than thae UK one, reason why they often didn't mount the FCR. 

Common misconception. The UK's engines are rated at a higher shaft horsepower, but they don't provide any additional power benefits under most circumstances since they are still limited by the drivetrain. Only when operating at extremely hot temperatures and high altitudes do the additional power of these engines become relevant.

US AH-64's often don't mount the FCR when it is not considered tactically necessary, such as low-intensity conflicts in which it isn't needed. The UK purchased an FCR for each individual aircraft and mount them all the time due to their doctrine of use, not because of their engines, which rarely provide any power benefits anyway.

If the OP was using the loadout he posted, the munitions or the fuel should be reduced to gain more power margin. If he is hovering at 95-100% torque, the engines are not the limiting factor, the drivetrain is. More powerful engines won't make a difference, and removing the FCR will only provide about 3% additional torque margin (if he has one) which isn't significant enough to gain any sort of additional climb performance in a hover.

• Like 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Am 31.10.2023 um 15:57 schrieb Lord Vader:

Hi @Emme

Not having a track file, it's hard to say what is wrong. But with that configuration you are very much on the MTOW limit. Like it was said, conditions like air density and temperature will affect your performance. Make sure you plan accordingly. 

A track file is not needed, this was all a mistake on my end just by trying to lift a max weight helicopter here. I reduced the fuel like others have mentioned and now I'm all fine again. But anyways, thank you very much for the help. Appreciate it. o7

• Like 1