Best 4k Monitor for DCS? Samsung Odyssey G8 OLED 34"?

Hi guys,

I currently have a 37.5" HP Z38C monitor. It's served me well although originally was never really meant for DCS. I guess it's main drawback is that it's only 60Hz. Since I don't know any better I sort of stuck with it for a while but recently watched a DCS streamer who was over the moon when he upgraded to a monitor with a higher refresh rate. Would that really be noticeable?

Also, I don't know if this is the cause but ever since I got this monitor, my Trackir always jitters a bit off center, especially when looking well to the side or down and I can only put it down to the monitor refresh having some sort of incompatibility with Trackir as I've tried everything to resolve this, including buying a totally different Trackir and trackclip pro and have tried every combination of settings.

I'm wondering if going to a proper gaming monitor with a high refresh rate will be noticeable? I was looking at the Samsung Odyssey G8 OLED 34". It's smaller than my current monitor which I am not crazy about but seems like a solid choice? Does anyone have any other good suggestions for a decent 4k monitor? 

Cheers!

I’m using a 120Hz 4K OLED and it’s fantastic. Any frame rate above 60 is icing on the cake but nice nonetheless. You might want to look for a monitor with Gsync if you’re going for the high refresh rate. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Track-IR has a native poll rate of 120hz and there are many threads here in this forum from the past that debate about Track-IR causing micro-stutter / jitter when looking left/right when the FPS is not 120 or an equal devider of it, like your 60. So according to this, with your 60Hz locked and assuming you can ALWAYS deliver 60fps, than TiR shouldnt be to blame.

Try locking your max FPS with Riva Tuner Statistics Server ( part of Afterburner ).  So that DCS is locked to the same refresh rate that your monitor can deliver and in sync with TiR. That should eliminate any stutter that may originate from TiR's poll rate.

You can define a key combo to activate/deactivate the lock, I use it to. When my kids game I lock it to 60fps and save 120w GPU and when I play DCS I do both and must say, I dont really see microstutter above 60 fps, but I have G-Sync as well, that may iron some out other can't and thus have visible or noticable stutters. It's very much a matter of perception at some point too.

60fps is ok and the entry level for smooth gameplay but more fps means less input lag, less smear when reading gauges and moving the head ( that's where you will see a BIG difference between 60fps, 90, 120 and 144fps. Read the cockpit dials and move your head, amazing difference in clarity. Is it vital...no. It's important not to ditch below 60fps under all circumstances, that's harder to achieve depending on HW and settings.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

3 hours ago, BitMaster said:

Track-IR has a native poll rate of 120hz and there are many threads here in this forum from the past that debate about Track-IR causing micro-stutter / jitter when looking left/right when the FPS is not 120 or an equal devider of it, like your 60. So according to this, with your 60Hz locked and assuming you can ALWAYS deliver 60fps, than TiR shouldnt be to blame.

Try locking your max FPS with Riva Tuner Statistics Server ( part of Afterburner ).  So that DCS is locked to the same refresh rate that your monitor can deliver and in sync with TiR. That should eliminate any stutter that may originate from TiR's poll rate.

You can define a key combo to activate/deactivate the lock, I use it to. When my kids game I lock it to 60fps and save 120w GPU and when I play DCS I do both and must say, I dont really see microstutter above 60 fps, but I have G-Sync as well, that may iron some out other can't and thus have visible or noticable stutters. It's very much a matter of perception at some point too.

60fps is ok and the entry level for smooth gameplay but more fps means less input lag, less smear when reading gauges and moving the head ( that's where you will see a BIG difference between 60fps, 90, 120 and 144fps. Read the cockpit dials and move your head, amazing difference in clarity. Is it vital...no. It's important not to ditch below 60fps under all circumstances, that's harder to achieve depending on HW and settings.

Thanks but I see these little jitters without DCS, even just in the Trackir software... it cannot keep my head still despite the fact that I am holding it still. 

And thanks for the advice. I'll probably go for this OLED monitor 🙂

Thanks but I see these little jitters without DCS, even just in the Trackir software... it cannot keep my head still despite the fact that I am holding it still. 

And thanks for the advice. I'll probably go for this OLED monitor
Which one?the 34 inch is not 4k it is an ultrawide monitor
What would be better - 144Hz and G-Sync or 175Hz and no G-Sync? How important is G-Sync in terms of DCS?

Gsync absolutely.
Note also that now free sync is also supported by Nvidia cards.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Also, there is G-Sync compatible and true G-Sync with a full feature set. The specs are not the same.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

2 hours ago, VirusAM said:

Note also that now free sync is also supported by Nvidia cards.

Depends on the monitor

https://www.displayninja.com/freesync-monitor-list/

For the difference between G-Sync and Compatible FYI

https://www.displayninja.com/g-sync-compatible-vs-native-g-sync/#:~:text=G-SYNC Compatible vs Native G-SYNC – What's The,Compatible relies on Adaptive-Sync.

14 hours ago, CommandT said:

Thanks but I see these little jitters without DCS, even just in the Trackir software

You could try asking about it here, they can be pretty helpful

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewforum.php?f=60

18 hours ago, BitMaster said:

Track-IR has a native poll rate of 120hz and there are many threads here in this forum from the past that debate about Track-IR causing micro-stutter / jitter when looking left/right when the FPS is not 120 or an equal devider of it

As much as I’ve tried I can’t duplicate or detect this behavior on my system. I don’t feel like this should be a concern going for a higher refresh rate screen. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5