Does adding 32GB more RAM help?

Mostly SP and smaller missions. Just wondering if 32GB more RAM would help in VR or not?

Spec: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB RAM 3600MHz, MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91), DCS on Seagate FireCuda 530, MSI RTX 4090 Ventus 3X

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

depends on what you mean by help produce more fps.. likely not... use virtual disk less, likely yes... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have a similar system (same CPU but an RTX3090) and the upgrade from 32 to 64 GB was noticable on Syria. I got rid of micro stutters since the upgrade, but I can´t say that it made much difference on other maps or increased the FPS.
I also play in VR.

What is go for a kit? You mean Zen 5? 

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I think he´s referring to buying a kit with 2x32 GB Rams instead of adding one to your existing 32 GB.

I did the latter with my system. I was able to get the same brand/model (same speed, same timings etc.) as I already had and it works without problems, but that´s not always guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Eugel said:

I think he´s referring to buying a kit with 2x32 GB Rams instead of adding one to your existing 32 GB.

I did the latter with my system. I was able to get the same brand/model (same speed, same timings etc.) as I already had and it works without problems, but that´s not always guaranteed.

This.

I have 'upgraded' many (many) machines by adding two modules where there were only two originally.  It can work without problems.

That said, it is also accurate to say that the manufacturers almost always specifically say that you should buy RAM in kits, meaning buy all the modules you intend to use at the same time in one package.  While I can appreciate the concept, I personally believe this 'recommendation' is influenced by marketing.

I can say, based on a ton of first hand experience, it is entirely possible to add modules without problems.

I can also say - again, from first-hand experience with lots of machines over 40+ years - that it is possible to match manufacturer, model number/part number, specs and every other possible detail/number on memory modules...and still wind up with modules that are not the same as others with the exact same details.  Manufacturers sometimes change the 'guts' used to produce memory modules (the internal memory chips, often referred to as 'devices') - and you wind up with modules which are (or appear to be) the exact same externally, but are different internally.  And it's not just some manufacturers or cheap brands, I've seen Corsair modules like this.

Marketing laid aside, the manufacturers create an "out" for themselves by saying what they do about kits - because the one thing they don't do is put modules with different guts in the same kit.  They know there is variance over time in production, and so they cover their six by saying you should buy all modules as a kit.  You don't *have* to do it that way, as experience shows...what the manufacturers are saying is "If you choose not to follow our advice, you have no claim against us".

Sorry for the deviation there, but to the OP's question, as mentioned above, it depends what you mean by "help"...help with what exactly?  But, broadly I would say it's generally accepted that 64G of RAM can help with DCS in some scenarios where system load is heavy.  Definitely true to say it can reduce the amount of 'disk caching' activity.

Edited by kksnowbear

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.