Aim-9X way too sensitive to flares

Mad_Shell

If you look at the seeker's point of view, you can see that on two occasions it goes for the plume of the afterburner, just aft of the engines.

I am not sure if there was any image recognition in those cases. It looked like the seeker was going for the hotest thing it could find.

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

• 3 months later...

I'd like this to be looked into a bit more as well. Recently I've employed 13 AIM-9X shots on AI and their seemingly unlimited flares, with only four shots connecting. That's an abysmal 30% hit rate.

• Like 3

All air to air missiles seem to have a terrible Pk in single player for me. Does not matter if it is player or AI launched at best any air to air missile is a 50% chance of hit or less. Online against human targets that are somewhat aware the Pk goes down to about 20%

Edited by ruxtmp

On 12/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, Pavlin_33 said:

If you look at the seeker's point of view, you can see that on two occasions it goes for the plume of the afterburner, just aft of the engines.

I am not sure if there was any image recognition in those cases. It looked like the seeker was going for the hotest thing it could find.

Image recognition yes, it just might not mean exactly what you think it means.  It can classify a thing as a target (not this is an airplane, or whatever, just target) and 'these are parts of the target' in some respect and then classify other things as 'not my target' or 'false target'.  Generally without very modern countermeasures a 9X should not be getting decoyed if the decoy isn't making the target IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda