Using mklink in Windows 11 to transfer files to external drive, and using the Repair feature?

SC86

I apologize if this is the wrong category to place this question.

I just upgraded to windows 11 from 10 and deleted all the content on the hard drives as I didn't like how I set things up, especially with DCS OpenBeta.  I had files on C and D and it didn't make a lot of sense. 

I found out that there is the ability to transfer files to another hard drive and using the command prompt in windows to make the PC think that it is still reading from the main hard drive.  In command prompt the command appears somewhat like this: 

mklink /J "C:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus" "F:\DCS Modules\Terrains\Caucasus

DCS OpenBeta was loaded and stays on my main hard drive, then I put Caucasus and the F16 and F18 onto an external drive just to test it. I applied the mklink to each of these successfully.  I was able to get into multiplayer, the plane loaded completely, but the map didn't seem to have any ground. The water base was everywhere and other players seemed to load on a flat solid something, but every attempt to spawn would ther plane would just fall then crash way below where the surface would be.  I exited and ran the quicker 'Repair' feature, and got rid of extra files.

I don't know if the repair feature just re-installed Caucasus and the two planes back onto C drive.  In the attachments I will put a screen snip of the files I can see in the computer files. I think the diagonal arrow on the side of the file means that it is still pulling from the external drive? The SU-25 and Tf51D mustang are not installed in the sim.

Thanks to whoever can answer!

null

image.png

image.png

It is not recommended to install all or parts of the sim on an external drive, because their speed is lower than internal drives. This is probably the reason for your issue, not the symbolic link.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Copy, let me know how it goes. It may not only be a matter of speed: Windows may put your external drive to sleep if it thinks you don't need it. Ensure USB sleep is disabled for this drive.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.