Winwing Orion 2 throttle range problem

Go to solution Solved by Batmensch,

Hi, I’ve just received my Orion Hotas 2, and I’m trying to get the throttle working properly.  It actually works, but it doesn’t seem to use the full range of the throttle on my plane, and the afterburner doesn’t seem to work at all.  I’m not sure how to fix this.  In Winwings SimAppPro app, when I move the throttle the maximum, it says the throttle IS at maximum.  However, in DCS, although the throttle moves up, it never gets to max, nor does the afterburner run, even when pushed to after the afterburner detent.  I just don’t know how to fix this.  

I don't have any Winwing controls, so cannot speak from experience.

Unlike the F/A-18C, the hog doesn't have any special settings related to the afterburner detent. One guess I could make is that in your axis tuning settings you have Saturation Y set to less than 100%, but that seems unlikely.
My best guess is that you are looking at the engine power (Fan) gauges, and these never go beyond about 82%. That's because the engines of the A-10C are limited to about 82%.
That's not a bug, it's like the real hog. It's meant to loiter for a long time; not to engage with fighters.
When you go to Options/Controls, Axis page, right-click on a throttle axis binding and select "Tune". When you move the throttle through its range, do you see it going through its full range?
And when you look at the throttle levers in the cockpit, do they move all the way to Max?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks for the post!  I am only flying the Grinelli F-22A mod at this point, and my previous HOTAS, the Logitech/Saitek X.52, works as expected, that is, that you can go to full power at about 90% of the throttle range, and the last 10% engages the afterburner.  

With the Winwing, however, all the way to end of the throttle, even past the afterburner detent, doesn’t give me full power OR the afterburners.

However, I didn’t know about right-clicking on the throttle axis binding.  I’ll give that a shot!

• Solution

OK, it's working.  Following your note, LeCuvier, I went to the Axis commands.  I noticed that the single "thrust" was set to Joy_z.  I deleted that, and then set the thrust left to joy_ry and thrust right to joy_rx, and then went to Axis Tune Panel for each and set them to "Slider".  Now it works just like my old Logitech throttle worked, and I can use 100% of the throttle and turn on the afterburners!  And I also have separate controls for each engine.  Now I just need to figure out exactly where in the percentage the afterburner detents should be, and it'll be perfect!  Thanks!

Edited by Batmensch

6 hours ago, Batmensch said:

OK, it's working.  Following your note, LeCuvier, I went to the Axis commands.  I noticed that the single "thrust" was set to Joy_z.  I deleted that, and then set the thrust left to joy_ry and thrust right to joy_rx, and then went to Axis Tune Panel for each and set them to "Slider".  Now it works just like my old Logitech throttle worked, and I can use 100% of the throttle and turn on the afterburners!  And I also have separate controls for each engine.  Now I just need to figure out exactly where in the percentage the afterburner detents should be, and it'll be perfect!  Thanks!

FWIW, if you have the WW Orion 2 throttle, you should have removable detents, since it doesn't make much sense for the A-10C.  While not a game stopper, it makes formation flying annoying sometimes. 

A word of warning, the screw and nut that hold the detent in place REALLY want to fall into the slots in the base under the throttle arms.  Almost impossible to get out unless you flip the throttle base upside down, and I think they're stainless steel so a magnetic pickup doesn't work well.  You also need three hands to hold the nut in place while reinstalling the detent.  Quick tip is to superglue the nut to the detent to make it MUCH easier to reinstall.

Alternatively, you could reduce the X saturation so that full power comes at the afterburner detent, if you're okay with losing the throttle throw above it.

Edited by jaylw314